- Volume 39 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Microstructural Realization of SD400 Rebar by Developing Tempcore Simulation Apparatus
템프코어 냉각모사 장치 개발을 통한 SD400 철근 미세조직 구현
- Park, Chun Su (R&D Center, Dongkuk Steel Mill Co., LTD.) ;
- Yi, Hyang Jun (R&D Center, Dongkuk Steel Mill Co., LTD.) ;
- Bae, Seh Wook (R&D Center, Dongkuk Steel Mill Co., LTD.) ;
- Kim, Gil-Su (R&D Center, Dongkuk Steel Mill Co., LTD.)
- Received : 2015.01.12
- Accepted : 2015.03.21
- Published : 2015.05.01
The cooling process referred to as Tempcore has been applied to produce a high-strength rebar. Excellent rebar with strength and weldability can be manufactured from mild steel without the addition of alloying elements by using the Tempcore process. However, there are limitations to evaluating the effect of various chemical compositions and cooling conditions within a site facility. In this study, we developed an apparatus to simulate the Tempcore process and obtained microstructures with a hardened surface layer, an intermediate region and a soft inner core. The experimental apparatus has been equipped with a cooler set that is the same as the site facility and consists of a pump line that supplies pressure of 12-13 bar and flow rate of up to
- Simon, P., Economopoulos, M. and Nilles, P., 1984, "Tempcore: A New Process for the Production of High Quality Reinforcing Bars," Iron Steel Eng., Vol. 61, No. 3, pp. 53-57.
- Economopoulos, M., Respen, Y., Lessel, G. and Steffes, G., 1975, "Application of the Tempcore Process to the Fabrication of High Yield Strength Concrete-reinforcing Bars," Metall Rep CRM It, Vol. 45, pp. 1-17.
- Cadoni, E., Dotta, M., Forni, D., Tesio, N. and Albertini, C., 2013, "Mechanical Behavior of Quenched and Self-tempered Reinforcing Steel in Tension Under High Strain Rate," Materials and Design, Vol. 49, pp. 657-666. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2013.02.008
- Nino, O., Martinez, D., Lizcano, C., Guerrero-Mata, M. and Colas, R., 2007, "Study of the Tempcore Process for the Production of High Resistance Reinforcing Rods," Materials Science Forum, Vol. 537-538, pp. 533-540. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.537-538.533
- Kumar, A., Rao, M.H. and Singhal, L.K., 2006, "Optimization of Process Parameters During Quenching and Self Tempering of Rebars Using Mathematical Model," Trans. Indian Inst. Met., Vol. 59, No. 3, pp. 407-421.
- Cetinel, H., Toparli, M. and Ozsoyeller, L., 2000, "A Finite Element Based Prediction of the Microstructural Evolution of Steels Subjected to the Tempcore Process," Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 32, pp. 339-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6636(00)00009-0
- Cetinel, H., Ozyigit, H.A. and Ozsoyeller, L., 2002, "Artificial Neural Networks Modeling of Mechanical Property and Microstructure Evolution in the Tempcore Process," Computers & Structures, Vol. 80, pp. 213-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00016-0
- Shin, J., Park, S., Lee, J., Lee, Y. and Jang, B., 2000, "The Production Technology of Steel Bars by Direct Quenching and Self Tempering," J. Kor. Inst. Met. & Mater., Vol. 38, No. 7, pp. 957-962.