- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Optimization of TiCl4 Concentration and Initial pH for Phosphorus Removal in Synthetic Wastewater
합성폐수 내 인을 제거하기 위한 TiCl4 농도 및 초기 pH 최적조건 도출
Shin, So-Yeun;Kim, Jong-Ho;Ahn, Johng-Hwa
- Received : 2015.06.29
- Accepted : 2015.10.21
- Published : 2015.11.30
This study experimentally determined the effect of titanium tetrachloride (TiCl4) concentration ([TiCl4]) (0.25-0.55 mM) and initial pH (3-11) on phosphorus (P) removal in synthetic wastewater (2 mg P/L). The P removal efficiency increased when [TiCl4] increased. The P removal efficiency showed a parabolic trend with an inflection point at pH 7. At the molar ratio of TiCl4 and P>6.2, the P removal efficiency was over 90% and the residual P concentration was less than 0.2 mg/L. Within the design boundaries, the complete P removal could be achieved at 7.0≤initial pH≤8.5 and 0.43≤[TiCl4]≤0.55 mM. The final pH was over 5.8 at initial pH≥7.7 and [TiCl4]≥0.35 mM. The results showed that TiCl4 was effective in P removal in water so that it could be an alternative chemical for P removal.
Coagulant;Initial pH;Optimization;Phosphorus;Titanium tetrachloride
- American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association and Water Environment Federation (APHA, AWWA, and WEF). (2012). Standard Method for the Examination of Water & Wastewater, 22nd Edition, American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association and Water Environment Federation, Washington D. C., USA.
- Chae, H. J. (2012). The Optimization of Culture Medium with Food Waste Compost for Oyster Mushroom using the Response Surface Analysis, Master's Thesis, Kangwon National University, Kangwon, Korea. [Korean Literature]
- Choi, J. S. and Joo, H. J. (2011). Study on Change of Microbial Activity and Removal Efficiency of Phosphorus with Alum Injection in the Biological Process, Journal of Korea Society on Water Environment, 27(2), pp. 188-193. [Korean Literature]
- Duan, J. and Gregory, J. (2003). Coagulation by Hydrolysing Metal Salt, Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 100-102, pp. 475-502.
- Hussain, S., Leeuwen, J., Chow, C. W. K., Aryal, R., Beecham, S., Duan, J., and Drikas, M. (2014). Comparison of the Coagulation Performance of Tetravalent Titanium and Zirconium Salts with Alum, Chemical Engineering Journal, 254, pp. 635-646. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2014.06.014
- Kim, J. B., Park, H. J., Lee, K. W., Jo, A. R., Kim, M. W., Lee, Y. J., Park, S. M., Lee, K. Y., Shon, H. K., and Kim, J. H. (2013). Application of Ti-salt Coagulant and Sludge Recycling for Phosphorus Removal in Biologically Treated Sewage Effluent, Korean Journal Chemical Engineering Research, 51(2), pp. 257-262. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2013.51.2.257
- Kim, J. H., Cho, D. L., Kim, G. D., Gao, B., and Shon, H. K. (2011). Titania Nanomaterials Produced from Ti-Salt Flocculated Sludge in Water Treatment, Catalysis Surveys from Asia, 15, pp. 117-126. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10563-011-9115-y
- Kim, S. G., Ryoo, J. I., and Ryu, B. S. (1998). Determination of Coagulant Dosage with Alkalinity and Colloidal Organis Matter, Journal of Korea Society on Water Environment, 14(2), pp.161-166. [Korean Literature]
- Korea Water and Wastewater Works Association (KWWA). (2012). Sewerage Statistic, Korea Water and Wastewater Works Association. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, S. B. (2008). Experiment Design Method of Example Using Minitab, Eretec, pp. 9. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2014a). Emission Standard of Water Pollution, Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2014b). Water Quality and Ecosystem Conservation Act, Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Mishnaevsky, Jr. L., Levashov, E., Valiev, R. Z., Segurado, J., Sabirov, I., Enikeev, N., Prokoshkin, S., Solov’yov, A. V., Korotitskiy, A., Gutmanas, E., Gotman, I., Rabkin, E., Psakh’e, S., Dluhoš, L., Seefeldt, M., and Smolin, A. (2014). Nanostructured Titanium-based Materials for Medical Implants: Modeling and Development, Materials Science and Engineering, 81, pp. 1-19.
- Muisa, N., Hoko, Z., and Chifamba, P. (2011). Impacts of Alum Residues from Morton Jaffray Water Works on Water Quality and Fish, Harare, Zimbabwe, Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 36, pp. 853-864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2011.07.047
- Nayak, P. (2002). Aluminium : Impacts and Disease, Environmental Research, Section A 89, pp. 101-115. https://doi.org/10.1006/enrs.2002.4352
- Rittmann, B. E. and McCarty, P. L. (2002). Environmental Biotechnology : Principles and Applications, McGraw-Hill.
- Sawyer, C. L., McCarty, P. L., and Parkin, G. F. (2003). Chemistry for Environmental Engineering and Science, 5th edition, McGraw-Hill.
- Shon, H. K., Vigneswaran, S., Kim, I. S., Cho, J., Kim, G. J., Kim, J. B., and Kim, J. H. (2007). Preparation of Titanium Dioxide(TiO2) from Sludge Produced by Titanium Tetrachloride (TiCl4) Flocculation of Wastewater, Environmental Science & Technology, 41(4), pp. 1372-1377. https://doi.org/10.1021/es062062g
- Sun, Y., Zhou, G., Xiong, X, Guan, X., Li, L., and Bao, H. (2013). Enhanced Arsenite Removal from Water by Ti(SO4)2 Coagulation, Water Research, 47, pp. 4340-4348. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2013.05.028
- Upton, W. V. and Buswell, A. M. (1937). Titanium Salts in Water Purification, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 29(8), pp. 870-871. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50332a006
- Weon, S. Y. and Lee, S. I. (2004). Removal Nitrogen and Phosphorus from Wastewater using Natural Zeolite and Iron Oxide, Journal of Korea Society on Water Environment, 20(2), pp. 104-109. [Korean Literature]
- Zhao, Y. X., Gao, B. Y., Shon, H. K., Cao, B. C., and Kim, J. H. (2011). Coagulation Characteristics of Titanium (Ti) Salt Coagulant compared with Aluminum (Al) and Iron (Fe) Salts, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 185, pp. 1536-1542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.10.084
- Zhao, Y. X., Gao, B. Y., Zhang, G. Z., Phuntsho, S., and Shon, H. K. (2014). Coagulation by Titanium Tetrachloride for Fulvic acid Removal: Factors influencing Coagulation Efficiency and Floc Characteristics, Desalination, 335, pp. 70-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2013.12.016
- Zhou, Y., Xing, X. H., Liu, Z., Cui, L., Yu, A., Feng, Q., and Yang, H. (2008). Enhanced Coagulation of Ferric Chloride aided by Tannic Acid for Phosphorus Removal from Wastewater, Chemosphere, 72, pp. 290-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.02.028