- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on Spatial and Temporal Patterns of Water Quality in the Middle Area of the Nakdong River, Korea
낙동강 중류 보 구간에서의 시 · 공간적 수질 분포 특성 연구
Na, Eun Hye;Park, Suyoung;Kim, Jongha;Im, Seongsoo;Kim, Kyunghyun
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2015.11.27
- Published : 2015.11.30
We investigated the spatial and temporal patterns of water quality in the Gangjung-Goryoung weir that is located in the middle area of the Nakdong river, Korea. The monitoring results indicated that there are discernible vertical differences in water quality during the pre- and post-monsoon periods (May to September). During this period, it was observed that the weak thermal stratification formed at the maximum level, and pH, Chl-a, and DO concentrations in the surface layer were higher than those in the bottom layer. This vertical difference was especially noticeable for DO concentrations: there were DO depletions at the bottom layer in late June to early August. During the summer monsoon period with heavy rainfall, there was a decline in vertical differences in water quality. From this study, it was suggested that continuous monitoring of vertical profiles could become a useful tool for identifying the spatial and temporal distributions of water quality and for developing the best management policy for water quality in the Nakdong river.
Algal bloom;DO depletion;Gangjung-Goryoung weir;Nakdong river;Thermal stratification
- Caissie, D., Satish, M. G., and Nassir, E. J. (2007). Predicting Water Temperatures using a Deterministic Model: Application on Miramichi River Catchment (New Brunswick, Canada), Journal of Hydrology, 336, pp. 303-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.01.008
- Cha, Y. C., Chung, S. W., Ryu, I. G., and Ban, Y. J. (2010). Simulations of Thermal Stratification of Soyang Reservoir using Three-dimensional Hydrodynamic Model, ELCOM, Proceedings of the 2010 Spring Co-Conference of Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, Korean Society on Water Environment and Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, pp. 513-514. [Korean Literature]
- Chung, S. W., Lee, H. S., Choi, J. K., and Ryu, I. G. (2009). Simulations of Thermal Stratification of Daecheong Reservoir using Three-dimensional ELCOM Model, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 25(6), pp. 922-934. [Korean Literature]
- K-water. (2014). Real-time Information, http://www.kwater.or.kr/info/sub02/sib01/sub01/dam/hydr.do (accessed Dec, 2014).
- Lee, S. H., Kim, B. R., and Lee, H. W. (2014). A Study on Water Quality after Construction of the Weirs in the Middle Area in Nakdong River, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineering, 36(4), pp. 258-264. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2014.36.4.258
- Martin, J. L. and McCutcheon, S. C. (1998). Hydrodynamic and Transport for Water Quality Modeling, CRC Press, Inc., New York, N. Y., pp. 343.
- Ministry of Construction and Transportation (MOCT). (2009). Master Plan for the 4 Major Rivers Restoration Project, Ministry of Construction and Transportation. pp. 29. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2014). 2014 Annual Report on Water Quality Monitoring Program, 11-1480000-001223-10, Ministry of Environment. [Korean Literature]
- Ministry of Environment (MOE). (2015). Annual Report on Algal Blooms and Management, 11-1480000-001363-10, Ministry of Environment, pp. 29. [Korean Literature]
- Na, E. H. and Park, S. S. (2005). A Hydrodynamic Modeling Study to Determine the Optimum Water Intake Location in Lake Paldang, Korea, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 41(6), pp. 1315-1332. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2005.tb03802.x
- National Institute Environment Research (NIER). (2003). Rates and Constants of Water Quality Modeling in the Nakdong River System, National Institute Environment Research, pp. 137-139. [Korean Literature]
- Norton, W. R., King, I. P., and Orlob, G. R. (1968). A Finite Element Model for Lower Granite Reservoir, Water Quality Report: Lower Granite Lock and Dam, Snake River, WasingtonIdaho - Finite Element Hydrodynamic Model, Appendix F, 3(3), Report by Water Resources Engineers, Inc., for U. S. Army Corps of Engineers District, Walla Walla, WA.
- Regional Aquatics Monitoring Program (RAMP). (2012). Water and Sediment Quality in the Athabasxa River Basin, http://ramp-alberta.org/river/water+sediment+quality.aspx (accessed Dec, 2012).
- Robarts, R. D. and Zohary, T. (1987). Temperature Effects of Photosynthetic Respiration and Growth Rates of BloomForming Cyanobacteria, New Zealand Journal of Marine & Freshwater Research, 21, pp. 391-399. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1987.9516235
- Shade, A., Chiu, C. Y., and McMahon, K. D. (2010). Seasonal and Episodic Lake Mixing Stimulate Differential Planktonic Bacterial Dynamics, Microbial Ecology, 53(3), pp. 546-554.
- Ward, J. V. (1985). Thermal Characteristics of Runing Waters, Hydrobiologia, 125, pp. 31-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00045924
- World Health Organization (WHO). Guidelines for Safe Recreational Water Environments, Volume 1: Coastal and Fresh Waters, ISBN-92-4-154580-1, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, pp. 137-139.
- Xia, L., Xiaohua, L., and Yuwei, C. (2011). The Effects of Temperature and Nutrient Ratios on Microcystis Blooms in Lake Taihu, China: An 11-year Investigation, Harmful Algae, 10, pp. 337-343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2010.12.002
- Yu, J. J., Lee, H. K., Lee, K. L., Lyu, H. S., Whang, J. W., Shin, L. Y., and Chen, S. U. (2014). Relationship between Distribution of the Dominant Phytoplankton Species and Water Temperature in the Nakdong River, Korea, Korean Journal of Ecology and Environment, 47(4), pp. 247-257. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2014.47.4.247
- Yu, J. J., Lee, K. L., Lee, H. K., Whang, J. W., Lyu, H. S., Shin, L. Y., Park, A. R., and Chen, S. U. (2015). Relations of Nutrient Concentrations on the Seasonality of Algal Community in the Nakdong River, Korea, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 31(2), pp. 110-119. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2015.31.2.110
- Spatiotemporal and Longitudinal Variability of Hydro-meteorology, Basic Water Quality and Dominant Algal Assemblages in the Eight Weir Pools of Regulated River (Nakdong) vol.51, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2018.51.4.268