- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparative Study on Sloshing Impact Flows between PIV and CFD
슬로싱 충격현상 해석을 위한 모형실험과 수치해석 적용에 관한 비교 연구: PIV vs. CFD
- Received : 2014.10.21
- Accepted : 2015.04.16
- Published : 2015.04.30
In this study, experimental and numerical methods were applied to observe sloshing impact phenomena. A two-dimensional rectangular tank filled with water and air was considered with a specific excitation condition that induced a hydrodynamic impact without an air pocket at the top corner of the tank. High-speed cameras and a pressure measurement system were synchronized, and a particle image velocimetry (PIV) technique was applied to measure the velocity field and corresponding pressure. The experimental condition was implemented in a numerical computation to solve incompressible two-phase flows using a Cartesian-grid method. The discretized solution was obtained using the finite difference and constraint-interpolation-profile (CIP) methods, which adopt a fractional step scheme for coupling the pressure and velocity. The tangent of the hyperbola for interface capturing (THINC) scheme was used with the weighed line interface calculation (WLIC) method to capture the interface between the air and water. The calculated impact pressures and velocity fields were compared with experimental data, and the relationship between the local velocity and pressure was investigated based on the computational results.
Sloshing;Velocity measurement;Particle image velocimetry;Cartesian grid method
- Ahn, Y., Kim, J.H., Kim, S.Y., Kim, K.H., Kim, Y., 2012. Particle Image Velocimetry Measurement on the Oscillating Characteristics of Sloshing-induced Internal Flow Fields. Proceedings of the 6th Asis-Pacific Workshop on Marine Hydrodynamics, Malaysia, 179-184.
- Chetverikov, D., 2003. Applying Feature Tracking to Particle Image Velocimetry. International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, 17(4), 487-504. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218001403002496
- Choi, H.I., Kwon, S.H., Park, J.H., Choi, Y.M., 2010. A Study on the Effect of Filling Ratio on Sloshing Impact Pressure. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 24(6), 30-33.
- Faltinsen, O.M., Timokha, A.N., 2009. Sloshing. 1st Edition, Cambridge University Press, New York.
- Kim, Y., 2001. Numerical Simulation of Sloshing Flows with Impact Load. Applied Ocean Research, 23, 53-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1187(00)00021-3
- Kim, S.Y., Kim, K.H., Kim, Y., 2012. Comparative Study on Model-scale Sloshing Tests. Journal of Marine Science and Technology, 17(1), 47-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00773-011-0144-z
- Kim, H.I., Kwon, S.H., Park, J.S., Lee, K.H., Jeon, S.S., Jung, J.H., Ryu, M.C., Hwang, Y.S., 2009. An Experimental Investigation of Hydrodynamic Impact on 2-D LNGC Models. Proceedings of the 19th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Osaka, Japan.
- Loysel, T., Gervaise, E., Moreau, S., Brosset, L., 2013. Results of the 2012-2013 Sloshing Model Test Benchmark. Proceedings of the 23rd International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Alaska, USA.
- Lugni, C., Brocchini, M., Faltinsen, O.M., 2006. Wave Impact Loads: The Role of the Flip-through. Physics of Fluids, 18(12):122101. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2399077
- Park, J.C., Hwang, S.C., Jeong, S.M., 2011. Development of a Numerical Simulation Method for the Analysis of Sloshing Problems based on CCUP Scheme. Journal of Computational Fluids Engineering, 16(2), 1-10.
- Phi, T.H., Ahn, H.T., 2011. Air Compressibility Effect in CFD-based Water Impact Analysis. Journal of the Sociery of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(6), 581-591. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.6.581
- Prasad, A.K., 2000. Particle Image Velocimetry. Current Science, 79(1), 51-60.
- Xiao, F., Honma, Y., Kono, T., 2005. A Simple Algebraic Interface Capturing Scheme using Hyperbolic Tangent Function. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 48, 1023-1040. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.975
- Yang, K., Kim, Y., Hu, C., 2010. Numerical Simulation of 2D Violent Sloshing Flows by using CCUP Method. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 20(3), 204-209.
- Yokoi, K., 2007. Efficient Implementation of THINC Scheme: A Simple and Practical Smoothed VOF Algorithm. Journal of Computational Physics, 226, 1985-2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2007.06.020
- Experimental Study on Sloshing in Rectangular Tank with Vertical Porous Baffle vol.29, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2015.29.4.291
Supported by : 서울대학교 로이드기금 연구센터 (LRFC)