- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Model Test of Dual-Buoy Wave Energy Converter using Multi-resonance
다중 공진을 이용한 이중 부이 파력발전장치의 모형실험
Kim, Jeong-Rok;Hyeon, Jong-Wu;Koh, Hyeok-Jun;Kweon, Hyuck-Min;Cho, Il-Hyoung
- Received : 2014.06.30
- Accepted : 2015.04.16
- Published : 2015.04.30
In this study, we proposed a new type of dual-buoy wave energy converter (WEC) exploiting multi-resonance and analyzed the experimental results from a model test in a 2-D wave flume. A dual-buoy WEC using multi-resonance has two advantages: high efficiency at the resonant frequencies and the potential to extend the frequency range available to extract wave power from the WEC. The suggested WEC was composed of an outer buoy and an inner buoy sliding vertically inside the outer buoy. As the power take-off device, a linear electric generator (LEG) consisting of permanent magnets and coils fixed at each buoy was adopted. Electricity was produced by the relative heave motion between the two buoys. To search for the optimal shape of a dual-buoy WEC, we conducted experiments on the heave motion of a two-body system in regular waves without an LEG installed. Model tests with six combinations of experimental models were conducted in order to find the motion characteristics of a dual-buoy WEC. It was found that model 2, which included a ring-shaped appendage to move the resonant frequency of the outer buoy toward a high value, showed a higher relative heave response amplitude operator (RAO) curve than model 1. In addition, the double-peak shape of the heave RAO curve shown for model 2 indicated the extension of the frequency range for extracting wave power in irregular waves.
Wave energy converter(WEC);Internal fluid;Dual-buoy;Model test;Relative heave motion;Multi-resonance
- Bae, Y.H., Cho, I.H., 2013. Characteristics of Heaving Motion of Hollow Circular Cylinder. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 27(5), 43-50.
- Budal, K., Falnes, J., 1975. A Resonant Point Absorber of Ocean Wave Power. Nature, 256, 478-479. https://doi.org/10.1038/256478a0
- Chau, F.P., Yeung, R.W., 2010. Inertia and Damping of Heaving Compound Cylinders. The 25th International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies.
- Drew, B., Plummer, A.R., Sahinkaya, N.N., 2009. A Review of Wave Energy Converter Technology. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy, 233, 887-902.
- Fukuda, K., 1977. Behavior of Water in Vertical Well with Bottom Opening of Ship and its Effects on Ship-Motion. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, 141, 107-122.
- Engstrom, J., Kurupath, V., Lsberg, J., Leijon, M., 2011. A Resonant Two Body System for a Point Absorbing Wave Energy Converter with Direct-driven Linear Generator. Jouranal of Applied Physics, 110, 1-8.
- Mavrakos, S.A., 2004. Hydrodynamic Coefficients in Heave of Two Concentric Surface-piercing Truncated Circular Cylinders. Applied Ocean Research, 26, 84-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2005.03.002
- Weber, J., Mouwen, F., Parrish, A., Robertson, D., 2009. Wavebob-research & Development Network and Tools in the Context of Systems Engineering. Proceedings of 8th European Wave Tidal Energy Conference, 416-410.
- Experimental Study on Hydrodynamic Performance and Wave Power Takeoff for Heaving Wave Energy Converter vol.30, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2016.30.5.361
Supported by : 한국에너지 기술 평가원