- Volume 15 Issue 2
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the need for the preparation of old age of dental hygienists and happy life. Methods: This study is a descriptive study. A self-reported questionnaire in Likert 5 scale was completed by the dental hygienists in Korea through online report or written report from December, 2012 to June, 2013. Except incomplete answers, 200 data were analyzed. The questionnaire consisted of 10 questions of preparation for old age and awareness for old ages, 9 questions of physical preparation, and 9 questions of emotional preparation. Cronbach's alpha of old age preparation and awareness of old age was 0.634 in the study. Cronbach's alpha was 0.709 and 0.757 in physical preparation and emotional preparation, respectively. The final analyses of 200 copies were conducted using SPSS 11.5 software for Windows(SPSS Inc., Chicago, lllinois, USA). Results: Awareness toward preparation for old age of dental hygienists was 3.72 points, physical preparation was 2.94 points, and emotional preparation was 2.91 points. Awareness toward preparation for old age of dental hygienists showed the relationship between birth date, marital status, education level, and subjective health condition. Physical preparation was closely related to birth date, marital status, education level, and the workplace. Emotional preparation was closely related to birth date, marital status, education level, and the workplace. Conclusions: This study suggested that preparation for old age of dental hygienists was very important and the preparation must be connected with the social welfare policy.
dental hygienists;emotional preparation;old age;physical preparation
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Statistics[Internet]. [cited 2014 Oct 14]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/2/1/index.board.
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Statistics[Internet]. [cited 2014 Oct 14]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1B81A17&vw_cd=&list_id=&scrId=&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=K1&path=.
- Park KR, Lee YS. A study on perceptions of successful aging in later life. J Ger 2002; 22(3): 53-66.
- Lim MJ. A survey research on attitudes of Korean nurses regarding provision for old age[Mater's thesis]. Seoul; Univ. of Kyung Hee, 2006.
- Bae MJ. Perception of preparation for their old age and successful aging by degree of facts on aging among adults. J Wel Aged 2012; 8: 111-31.
- Song KB, Jeong SH, Chung SY, Park YD, Kwon HK, Choi YH. Attitude and planning for retirement by Korean dentist. J Korea Acad Oral Health 2010; 34(2): 139-49.
- Kim JH, Kim SJ, Hwang JH, Yoo SM, Park YD. Problem awareness of old age among dentists in Seoul and the metropolitan area. J Korea Acad Oral Health 2012; 36(3):203-10.
- Kim SD, Lee YK, Lee JW. A Paper of the perception of some dental hygienists regarding old life after retirement and occupations. J Korea Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 12(2): 97-108.
- Kim MY, Kim SJ, Kim JH. Preparation for old age life of dental hygienists. J Con Soc 2014; 14(8): 250-6.
- Kim JH. A Study on Preparation for Old Age and Retirement Plans among Dental Personnels[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul; Univ. of Kyung Hee, 2013.
- Lee JJ. A Study the on nurse's preparation for their own old age-focused on the public medical center in Seoul[Mater's thesis]. Seoul; Univ. of Seoul National, 2011.
- Shin SH. The decision factor on thinking against their old age of the middle generation[Mater's thesis]. Busan; Univ. of Kungsung, 2013.
- National Health Personnel Licensing Examination Board. Kuksiwon[Internet]. [cited 2014 Oct 14]. Available from: http://www.kuksiwon.or.kr/Information/ExamStatistic.aspx.
- Han MR. A study on the recognition of nurses about the preparation and successful life for old age[Mater's thesis]. Seoul; Univ. of Catholic, 2009.
- Lee MS. Perception of successful aging, attitude toward retirement and plan of retirement in nurses[Mater's thesis]. Busan; Univ. of Kosin, 2013.
- Kim HJ. A study on the preparation consciousness and counterplan of the young and middle-aged for old age life focusing on the young and middle-aged living in Busan[Mater's thesis]. Busan; Univ. of Dong-A, 2010.
- Laditka SB, Corwin SJ, Laditka JN, Liu L, Tseng W, Tsemg B, et al. Attitude aboutaging well among a diverse group of older Americans: implications for promoting cognitive health. The Gerontologist 2009; 49(S1): S30-S9. http://dx.doi:10.1093/geront/gnp084. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnp084