- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The oral health awareness and oral health care provided by workers in long-term elderly care facilities
일부 지역 노인요양기관 종사자의 구강건강 인식정도와 구강건강관리 제공 실태 조사
Park, Jeong-Ran;Hong, Min-Hee;Choi, Yu-Ri
- Received : 2014.09.24
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the oral health awareness and oral health care provided by workers in the long-term elderly care facilities. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 213 workers in long-term elderly care facilities. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics, oral health awareness, oral health behavior, oral health knowledge, oral health care professionals, oral health care, oral health care improvement, and denture care. Except the incomplete answers, 200 data were analyzed by the statistical software of SPSS WIN 18.0. Results: Highly educated people tended to have higher oral health awareness. The workers in the facility maintained the oral health care but they suggested that dental professionals are needed. Conclusions: It is necessary to suggest the oral health care management by dental professionals.
long-term care facility;oral health awareness;oral health management;worker in the long-term care
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Population Projections[Internet]. [cited 2011 Dec 1]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
- WHO. Global health observatory(GHO), World health statistic 2012[Internet]. World health organization[cited 2012 June 13. Available from: http://www.who.int/gho/publications
- Health insurance review and assessment. News and information, Statistics, Statistics data, The list of long-term care institutions[Internet]. [cited 2014 Sep 30]. Available from: http://www.hira.or.kr.
- Kwon SH, Park JR, Lee YK. A study on the elder care facility workers' attitude towards senior citizens and on the perception towards long-term care insurance system for senior citizens. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 905-15.
- Park SY, Cho NI, Jeong JH, Lee SH, Oh HW, Lee HS. Oral health care provided by nursing home employees to elderly residents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013; 37(4): 200-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.4.200. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.4.200
- Shin RH, Bae EK, Choi SH, Park II, Ohyama T, Chung MK. Analysis of current nursing homes in korea and to assess the role and prospect of dentists in comparison to japanese long term care insurance system. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2008; 46(1): 83-91.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The list of long-term care institutions. 2nd ed..Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2014: 297-302.
- Moon YM. Oral health behavior fators related to cargivers of elderly care facility [Master's thesis]. Seosan: Univ. of Han-Seo, 2012.
- Cho NI, Park SY, Lee HS, Oh HW. Oral health knowledge and behavior among nursing home employees in seoul, Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013 Mar; 37(1): 16-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.1.16. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.1.16
- Park SS, Park SH. A Study on recognition of dental health care in care giver. J Society Occup Thera Age Demea 2010; 4(1): 1-9.
- Park MS. Educational needs in the provision of oral care by nursing staff in long-term care facility for elderly people. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2010; 12(1): 72-80.
- Kim CW, Hwang JM, Park YD. The objective and subjective awareness of dental service suppliers in the capital area on the long-term care insurance system for senior citizens. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010; 34(1): 58-64.
- Hwang JM, Park YD. Dental hygienists' awareness and needs regarding the current long-term senior care insurance system. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(3): 422-31.
- Woon JH. Oral health perception, knowledge, and behavior among visiting health care providers[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2008.
- Jung JG. Survey on the recognition and demand on oral health education of workers in k university hospital taejeon city[Master's thesis]. Daejeon: Univ. of Konyang, 2007.
- Mo HS, Choi KB, Kim JS. Knowledge of oral health and its predictors in nursing staff of long-term care institutions. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2008; 15(4): 428-37.
- Nicol R, Petrina SM, Mchugh S, Bagg J. Effectiveness of health care worker training on the oral health of elderly residents of nursing homes. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2005; 33(2): 115-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00212.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00212.x
- Isaksson R, Paulsson G, Fridlund B, Nederfors T. Evaluation of an oral health educatqion program for nursing personnel in special housing facilities for the elderly. Part II: Clinical aspects. Spec Care Dentist 2000; 20(3):109-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.2000.tb00012.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.2000.tb00012.x
- Kim KW, Yoon HJ, Kim MR, Lee HK, Lee KS. Effects of oral hygiene improvement of the elderly patients by caregiver's in rural long-term care hospital. J Agri Med Community Health 2010; 35(1): 13-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2010.35.1.013. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2010.35.1.013
- Kim SH, Kim CH, Son GY, Yang SY, Cho MS, Oh SH. The perpeption of dlderly oral health care in the care workers in nursing homes. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(5): 715-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.715. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.715