- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Correlation and influencing factors on oral health awareness, oral health behavior, self-esteem and OHIP-14 in childcare teachers
일부 보육교사들의 구강건강인식, 구강건강행위, 자아존중감 및 OHIP-14와의 연관성과 영향요인
Lee, Sung-Lim;Kwag, Jung-Suk;Choi, Jeong-Hee
- Received : 2014.12.30
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the correlation and influencing factors of oral health awareness, oral health behaviors, self-esteem and OHIP-14. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 313 childcare teachers in Jeonnam from June 4 to 14, 2013. The questionnaire consisted of 3 questions of general characteristics, 4 questions of occupation, 1 question of oral health education experience, and 1 question of oral health education participation. The instrument for awareness and behavior of oral health were modified and consisted of 10 questions of awareness and 10 questions of behavior by Likert 5 scale. Cronbach's alpha was 0.718 in awareness and 0.812 in behavior. Instrument for self-esteem was modified from Rosenberg. Self-esteem questionnaire consisted fo 5 questions of positive answers and 5 questions of negative answers by Likert 5 scale. Cronbach's alpha in self esteem was 0.846 in the study. Oral Health Impact Profile-14(OHIP-14) was adapted from Slade by Likert 5 scale and consisted fo 14 questions. Cronbach's alpha was 0.934 in the study. Data were analyzed by chi square test, t-test, one way ANOVA, Scheffe multiple range test, Pearason's correlation test, and stepwise multiple regression test. Results: There were positive correlations between oral health awareness, oral health behavior(r=0.502), and self-esteem(r=0.332), but negative correlations with OHIP-14. Oral health behavior showed positive correlations with self-esteem(r=0.230). The factors on oral health awareness were high oral health behavior and self esteem, low OHIP-14, and active participation in education. Self-esteem was closely related to high with high oral health awareness. low OHIP-14, low job satisfaction. Conclusions: Childcare teachers play the very important roles in the development of oral health education program for children and continuous education.
childcare teachers;OHIP-14;oral health awareness;oral health behaviors;self-esteem
- Ministry of Health Welfare[Internet]. 2012 National Oral Health Survey. [cited 2013 June 04]. Available from: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal031vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=287041&page=1.
- Kwon KA. A study on factors affecting the oral health care behaviors of nursery school teachers for young children [Master's thesis]. Kangnung: Univ. of Kangnung National, 2008.
- Korean association of dental hygiene professors. 5th ed. Fundamentals of Pediatric Dentistry. Seoul: Komonsa Publishers; 2009: 78.
- Ann YS, Kim ES, Lim DS, Jung SH, Kim MJ. A study on preschool teachers' oral health knowledge and behaviors in Sung-nam city. J Dent Hyg Sci 2001; 1(1): 13-21.
- Lee EJ, Kim HO. The effects of the health perception on health promoting behavior in child care teachers. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health 2014; 18(1): 152-64.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology[Internet]. [cited 2012 September 03]. Available from: http://www.moe.go.kr/web/100062/ko/board/view.do?bbsId=315&boardSeq=49144&mode=view.
- Kim EH, Choi HS, O HS. The influence of the cognizance of childcare teachers about dental care on oral health of infants. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2006; 8(1): 17-28.
- Kim JB, Jeong SH, Ann YS, Kim ES, Park DY, Lee HJ. Research on the development of an oral health program model for young children in the nursery and the kindergarten of health center. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2001: 24-78.
- Jung YM, Hwang TY, Heon MJ. Oral health knowledge and behavior of teachers and oral care services for children in nursery schools in Daegu. J Korean Soc Matern Child Health 2013; 17(2): 196-204.
- Rosenberg M. Self-concept and psychological well-being in adolescence. In R. L. Leahy ed. New York: Academic Press. The development of the self; 1985: 205-46.
- Lee JW. A comparative study of self-esteem and job satisfaction between daycare centre teachers and kindergarten teachers. J Korean Child Care Educ 2004; 37: 127-49.
- Cho SY. Chlid care teacher's job satisfaction and self-esteem. J Korean Child Studies 2005; 26(1): 359-73.
- Kwon YH. The effects of organizational climate and self-esteem on teachers' job stress in corporate-sponsored child care centers. J Korea Open Assoc Early Child Educ 2010; 15(5): 437-55.
- Lee IS, Kim GH. The effects of maum meditation on anxiety, self-esteem and self-actualization for teachers. J Korea Acad Industr Cooperation Soc 2011; 12(12): 5722-30. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.12.5722
- Koo EM, Kim KW. An analysis of teacher related variables affecting the quality of child care program. J Korea Open Assoc Early Child Educ 2005; 10(3): 139-57.
- Locker D, Slade G. Oral health and quality of life among older adults: the oral health impact profile. J Can Dent Assoc 1993; 59(10):830-3.
- Kang JK, Lee SM. Relationship between oral-health related quality of life of kindergarten teachers and attempts to improve oral health. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2010; 34(3): 354-61.
- Park CS, Lee SO. A study on the state of oral care among some special school personnels. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(5): 659-70.
- Ryu KJ. A research on recognition of oral health care among some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 925-33.
- Go EJ, Lee YH, Park KH. A study for middle-aged on oral health knowledge, oral health care and satisfaction with prosthetic treatment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(5): 671-83.
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescence self-image. Princeton: NJ: Univ. of Princeton Press; 1965: 1.
- Jeon BJ. Self-esteem: a test of it's measurability. Yonsei Nonchong 1974; 11: 107-29.
- Slade GD. Derivation and validation of a short-firm oral health impact profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997; 25: 248-90.
- Lee JW, Jung UJ, Na HJ. A study on the preschool children dental health awareness and behavior of the educators at the nurseries and kindergartens in Chungnam region. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(6): 973-83.
- Jung YY, Choi MH. Cognition of oral health education and dental caries preventive effect in kindergartens and child care facilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(1): 17-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.17. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.17
- Kim JS, Park SM. A study on child educare center teacher's role perception and role performance. Early Childhood Educ Research and Review 2007; 11(1): 133-55.
- Lee CH, Kho TS. Childcare teacher's health perception and health promoting lifestyle. J Korean Child Educ 2008; 8: 41-51.
- Kim YS, Jung YJ, Park JY. A study of the relationship between teacher's efficacy and difficulties on job performance depended on self-esteem of child care teachers. J Korean Acad Industr 2013; 14(3): 1100-8.
- Cheon HW. Impact of the oral health-related quality of life(OHIP-14) of industrial workers in some area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 859-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.859. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.859
- Kang HK, Jang KA. Relationship between the oral health, oral health impact profile-14 and total health index of male workers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(1): 13-20. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.1.013
- Yu SH, Kim YI, Lee HS. Public health dentistry : oral health-related quality of life in the elderly with removable denture. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(4): 575-86.