- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Correlations of self-esteem, major satisfaction and career identity in dental hygiene students
일부지역 치위생과 학생들의 자아존중감, 전공만족도 및 진로정체감과의 관련성
Park, Kyung-Hwa;Choi, Hye-Jung
- Received : 2015.01.11
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the factors influencing on self-esteem, major satisfaction, and career identity. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 389 dental hygiene students in three colleges located in Metropolitan area. The questionnaire consisted of 5 questions of general characteristics, 10 questions of self-efficacy, 18 questions of major satisfaction, and 13 questions of career identity by Likert 5 scale. Cronbach's alpha was 0.92 in self-efficacy, 0.90 in major satisfaction, and 0.88 in career identity in the previous studies. Cronbach's alpha in this study was 0.911 in major satisfaction, 0.840 in self-efficacy, and 0.8090 in career identity. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, and stepwise multiple regressions. Results: The score was 3.47 in self-esteem, 3.79 in major satisfaction, and 3.03 in career identity. There were significant differences in self-esteem and major satisfaction based on grade, motivation for entering college, and clinical practice satisfaction. In case of career identity, there were significant differences based on characteristics, motivation for college choice, and clinical practice satisfaction. There was a positive correlation between negative self-esteem, positive self-esteem, general satisfaction, awareness satisfaction, curricula satisfaction, interpersonal relation satisfaction, and career identity. The influencing factors on career identity were aptitude, interest, self-esteem, and major satisfaction in order(p<0.001). Conclusions: The career identity is closely related to self-esteem and major satisfaction. It is desirable to open a variety of education courses and to develop systematic and practical programs to the students in order to improve the career identity.
career identity;dental hygiene students;major satisfaction;self-esteem
- Lee HJ. Differences in career openness, career exploration, and career identity by sex and level of social anxiety. J Educ Res 2008; 46(1): 77-99.
- Cho H, Lee GY. Self esteem and career identity of nursing students. J Korean Acad Public Health Nurs 2006; 20(2): 163-73.
- Jung GO, Choi GY, Bae JY. Effect of satisfaction in major and career search efficacy on career search behavior in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(1): 61-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.1.061
- Kang YS, Hwang SK. Correlations of self-esteem, major satisfaction and career motivation in college nursing students. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc 2013; 14(7): 3301-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.7.3301.
- Namgung SH, Kim HJ. The effect of self-esteem on department satisfaction of early childhood education students as pre-service early childhood teachers. Res Child Edu and Care 2012; 8(1): 57-71.
- Baumeister RF, Campbell JD, Krueger JI, Vohs KD. Exploding the self-esteem myth. Sci am 2005; 292(1): 84-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/scientificamerican0105-84. https://doi.org/10.1038/scientificamerican0105-84
- Jung JW. The study on the mediating effects of “self-esteem”in the relationship between high school students' “adaptation to school life and career maturity”. J Korean Hom Eco Edu Ass 2014; 26(1): 101-18.
- Holland JL, Gottfredson DC, Power PG. Some diagnostic scales for research in decision making and personality: Identity, information, and barriers. J Pers Soc Psychol 1980; 39(6): 1191-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0077731. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077731
- Holland JL, Holland JE. Vocational indecision: More evidence and speculation. J Couns Psychol 1977; 24(5): 404-14. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.2064
- Kim CH, Kim JH, Hong SH. Comparison of career identity and professionalism among dental hygiene students according to educational system. J Korea Acad Ind coop Soc 2011; 12(1): 327-34.
- Lim SA, Youn HJ. Influencing factors for the empowerment of the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4): 669-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.699. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.669
- Lee JR, Kim HJ, Ko HJ. The effects of self-esteem, interpersonal relationship abilities on department satisfaction in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(1): 39-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.39. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.39
- Kim JH, Hong SH, Kim CJ, Nam SH. A study of self-esteem and professionalism among dental hygiene students according to educational system. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(6): 527-33.
- Jeong MK, Lee JY. Relationship of satisfaction with major and clinical practice among some dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(6): 1241-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.6.1241
- Bae SS, Noh HJ, Mun SJ. Effect of career decision-making self-efficacy and career identity by health science college students on job preparation behavior. J Korean Soc Schl Hea Edu 2014; 15(1): 45-59.
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image [Doctoral dissertation]. NJ: Univ. of Princeton, 1965.
- Jeon BJ. Self-esteem: A test of it's measurability. Yonsei University J 1974; 11: 107-24.
- Kim GH, Ha HS. A study on the factors for college students' satisfaction on their majors. Korean J Counseling 2000; 1(1): 7-20.
- Holland JL, Daiger DC, Power PG. My vocational situation. 1st ed. Palo Alto: CA Consulting Psychologists Press; 1980: 8.
- Kim KH, Kim BW. Career decision level and career preparation college students. Unpublished doctorial dissertation. KJ Counsel Psychol 1997; 9(1): 311-33.
- Kwon YH, Kim CN. Effects of a ready planned self growth program through MBTI on interpersonal relationships and the career identity of nursing college students. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 2002; 13(2): 216-29.
- Choi J, Ha NS. The relationship among image of nurses, self esteem and professional socialization in nursing students. J Korean Acad Nurs Admin 2009; 15(1): 54-63.
- Sung KW, Kim DS, Han MY, Gwak EY, Kim GY, Kim EJ, et al. Relationships between patient privacy act, nursing ethics and self-esteem in nursing students. J Soc Sci 2011; 10: 267-88.
- Shin SH. A study on employment stress and self-esteem of health college students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012; 12(3): 217-25.
- Jung SH, Kim EH, Kim HS. A study on educational environments for students from department of dental hygiene and their satisfaction level with the major in different regions. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(1): 69-78.
- Jung JS, Jeong MJ, Yoo IY. Relations between satisfaction in major, career decision-making self-efficacy and career identity of nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2014; 20(1): 27-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.27
- Jeong MH, Shin MA. The relationship between self-esteem and satisfaction in major of nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2006; 12(2): 170-7.
- Cho IY. The relationship of career identity, major satisfaction and college adaptation of nursing freshmen. J Korea Acad Ind Coop Soc 2014; 15(5): 2937-45.
- Yang YO, Lee SO. The relations of self-esteem, major satisfaction and career identity on the nursing students. J Korean Data Anal Soc 2012; 14(2): 979-89.
- Cho H, Lee KY. Self esteem and career identity of nursing students. J Korean Acad Public Health Nurs 2006; 20(2): 163-73.
- Moon IO, Lee KW. The effect of satisfaction in major and career search efficacy on career search behavior in nursing students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2010; 16(1): 83-91. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.083
- Relationship between educational satisfaction and learning participation in dental hygiene students vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1091