- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence of achievement motivation and self concept on clinical practice satisfaction in the dental hygiene students
치위생과 학생의 성취동기 및 자아개념이 임상실습 만족도에 미치는 영향
Choi, Jeong-Hee;Ko, Eun-Kyoung;Lee, Sung-Lim
- Received : 2015.01.23
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of achievement motivation and self concept on clinical practice satisfaction in the dental hygiene students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 206 dental hygiene students in Jeonnam from December to October, 2013. The questionnaire consisted of 6questions of general characteristics, 6 questions of achievement motivation, 18 questions of self concept, and 23 questions of clinical practice satisfaction. Cronbach's alpha was 0.881, 0.889, and 0.935 in achievement motivation, self concept, and clinical practice satisfaction, respectively. The data were analyzed by t-test, one way ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficient and multiple regression analysis. Results: Clinical practice satisfaction showed a significant difference by grade(p<0.05), personality(p<0.05) and satisfaction of major(p<0.01). Clinical practice satisfaction had a positive correlation with achievement motivation(r=0.508, p<0.01) and self concept(r=0.324, p<0.01). Multiple logistic regression analysis revealed that clinical practice satisfaction was related with achievement motivation(p<0.05) and self concept(p<0.01). Conclusions: The clinical practice satisfaction depends on achievement motivation and self concept. It is necessary to develop the program to improve satisfaction level of clinical practice by achievement motivation and self concept.
achievement motivation;clinical practice satisfaction;self concept
- Kim CH, Lee HO, Lee SM. Clinical dental hygienist's ethical dilemma and professionalism. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(4): 345-52.
- Kim SK, Jung YS. Dental hygiene students' stress during clinical practices and stress coping styles. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 887-95.
- Cho MS, Kim CS. The relationship between the satisfaction levels of education and clinical practice in the dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(5): 649-58. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh. 2014.14.05.649. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.649
- Wi YM. Relationships between self-concept and achievement motivation of the middle school students[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Konkuk, 2003.
- Yang JJ. A study on self concepts nursing perspectives and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. J Korean Cent Medicine 1999; 64(2): 207-15.
- Seo WH. Nursing college students' nursing professional self-concept and their satisfaction with clinical nursing practicum[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Kyungpook, 2007.
- Kang YJ. A study on the professional self-concept of dental hygiene students and their satisfaction level with clinical practice. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2009; 9(1): 73-84.
- Jeong EJ. The relationships among self-esteem, achievement motivation and academic achievement of high school students[Master's thesis]. Chuncheon: Univ. of Kangwon National, 2004.
- Jang JH, Kim KH. A study on the relationship between achievement motivation and satisfaction on clinical practice. Bulletin of Chung Ang Nursing 2000; 4(1): 175-93.
- Park KE, Lee SE. A correlation study on the relationship between motivation for achievement and satisfaction on clinical practice in nursing students. Bulletin of Dongnam Health College 2002; 20(2): 83-96.
- Park YH. Strategy for education to encourage the achievement motivation. 1st ed. Seoul: Education; 1974: 17-24.
- Song IS. Human psychology and self concept. 1st ed. Seoul: Hakjisa; 1990: 107-21.
- Lee JD. The effects of preceptorship on nursing students critical thinking propensity, clinical competency and satisfaction of clinical practice. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Adm 2006; 12(3): 434-43.
- Yang JS. A study on the clinical practice satisfaction of dental hospital by dental hygiene students. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000; 24(3): 205-15.
- Lee CS. A study on the relationship between the conditions of and satisfaction with the clinical training of dental hygiene students. Bulletin of Dongnam Health College 2002; 20(1): 93-100.
- Sung MH. Correlations between motivation to achieve, clinical competency and satisfaction in clinical practice for diploma and baccalaureate nursing students. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2010; 17(1): 90-98.
- Youn HJ, Lim SA, Kim SK. A study on the impact of general characteristics on achievement motivation in dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(5): 389-95.
- Choi ES, Lee IS. A study on self-concept and satisfaction on field practice of E.M.T. college students. J Korean Emerg Medi Services 1997; 1(1): 87-99.
- Park MY. A study on the satisfaction and stress factor of clinical practice for students in the department of dental hygiene. J Dent Hyg Sci 2006; 6(4): 243-9.
- Jung MK, Lee JY. Relationship of satisfaction with major and clinical practice among some dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12: 1241-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.6.1241
- Relationship between educational satisfaction and learning participation in dental hygiene students vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1091