- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of gender role identity on choice of dental hygiene and professionalism
성역할정체감에 따른 치위생 전공선택 및 직업의식에 관한 조사
Kim, Seon-Yeong;Kim, Yun-Jeng;Moon, Sang Eun
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.04.08
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of gender role identity on major choice, and preference and choice of job for applicants of dental hygiene department. Methods: The subjects were 202 high school girl students visiting K university in October, 2014 and in January, 2015 for the interview of early and regular admission to the university. The questionnaire consisted of 3 questions of general characteristics of the subjects, 40 questions of gender role identity, and 6 questions of career choice factors. Gender role identity included 15 questions of masculinity, 15 questions of feminity, and 10 questions of neutral gender using instrument of Kim by Likert scale. Cronbach's alpha of masculinity, feminity, and neutral gender was 0.810, 0.762, and 0.801 respectively. The data were analyzed using
gender role identity;choice of major;dental hygiene
- Kim SH. The problems and issues of the teacher aptitude test administered to the applicants for the elementary and secondary teachers college admissions and their solutions. J Korean Teacher Education 1988; 15(1): 208-19.
- Statistical yearbook of education. Korea: Ministry of education, korea educational development institute; 2014.
- Yang MH, Park MG, Kim HJ. The Effects of congruence, score elevation & types of interest on college students' career maturity and satisfaction with major. J Vocational Education 2010; 29(2): 137-56.
- Bae SM, Kim HK. A status of determinant of the intention to turnover for dental hygienists. J Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society 2012; 13(12): 5987-91.
- Lee JY. Sex-role identity, self-esteem, and marriage and career plans of university women in korea. J Asian Women 1983; 22: 87-98.
- Lee SH, Lee EJ. The influences of gender role identity, and gender role attitude on career decision-making self-efficacy and career maturity. Korea J Counseling 2009; 10(4): 2137-51. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.4.200912.2137
- Lee GH. The effect of the accordance of the gender characteristics and sex-role identity on the career attitude maturity and career decision barriers. Korean J Counseling and Psychology 2003; 15(2): 353-66.
- Jung JS. The Effect of the Person's sex-role identity on the career decision-making self-efficacy and the career decision-making patterns of the korean college students. J Korea Society for the Study of Career Education 2002; 15(1): 135-55.
- Na TG. The differences of career attitude maturity according to biological sex and sex-role identity types of college students majoring in foodservice. Korean Journal of Culinary Research 2014; 20(3): 50-63.
- Park EA. Gender role identity of female college students and the diversity of its types. Korea J Adult Nurs 2011; 23(5): 423-33.
- Kim MA. Ko, Park EA. Understanding the gender role identity in male nursing students. J Korea Acad Soc Nurs Educ 2014; 20(2): 223-33. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.223
- Kim YH. Development of korean sex-role inventory. J Asia Women 1988; 27: 153-82.
- Block JH. Conception of sex-role: Som cross-cultual and longitudinal perspectives. American Psychologist Association 1973; 28: 512-26. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0035094
- Ministry of healthcare and welfare statistical yearbook. MOHW. License information system of MOHW. Division of Healthcare Resources Policy; 2014.
- Park JM, Lee SJ. Comparison of gender stereotype between female nursing students and humanities students. J Korean Acad Community Nurs 2009; 20(4): 412-20.
- Kim JH, Hwang MH, Yoo JY. Gender roles, gender role conflicts, career indecision and vocational identity of korean male college students in male-dominant majors and in female-dominant majors. J Youth Counseling 2004; 12(1): 132-42.
- Flores LY, O'Brien KM. The career development of mexican american adolescent women: a test of social cognitive career theory. J Couns Psychol 2002; 49: 14-27. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.52
- Jo KH. Type of attitudes toward a successful life of korean nursing students: A Q methodological approach. J Korean Academy of Nursing 2008; 38(1): 111-21. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.111
- Kim KM, Bak SI. Effects of holland career group counselling program on the career maturity and decision-making abilities of College Freshmen. J Korean Employment and Career Association 2011; 1(2): 19-39.
- Kim EH, Kim BW. A study on the career search self-efficacy and career preparation behavior by gender role identity. J Vocational Education Research 2010; 29(4): 163-83.
- Lee SM. Factor analysis in the work values types of freshmen's in the dental hygiene department. J Dent Hyg Sci 2004; 4(2): 55-60.
- Bem SL. The measuring of psychological androgyny. J Consult Clin Psych 1974; 47: 155-62.
- Hwang MY. A study on relationship between the field of dental hygienists activities and the curriculum of dental hygiene. Bulletin of Dongnam Health University 2001; 19: 233-41.
- Jung GO, Choi GY, Bae JY. Effect of satisfaction in major and career search efficacy on career search behavior in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(1): 61-8. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.1.061
- Hwang JY, Yang SY, Son GY, Won BY, Oh SH. Employment preparation and job preference of dental hygiene majoring students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(4): 677-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.677. https://doi.org/10.13065/iksdh.2013.13.4.677
- Relationship between educational satisfaction and learning participation in dental hygiene students vol.15, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1091