- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of cooperative learning on learning attitude and self-directed learning capability of learners
협동학습이 학습자의 학습태도 및 자기주도학습력에 미치는 효과
Park, In-Suk;Jeong, Eun-Ju
- Received : 2015.01.08
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine the influence of cooperative learning on the learning attitude and self-directed learning capability of learners. Methods: The subjects were 50 sophomores enrolled in cooperative learning for 12-week period from March to June, 2014. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by the subjects. The instruments were 16 questions of learning attitude, 32 questions of self-directed learning, academic achievement, and 12 questions of satisfaction with instruction by Likert 5 scale. Cronbach's alpha was 0.84 in the previous study and 0.78 in this study. Self-directed learning was modified by Yoo and Cheong. Cronbach's alpha of self-directed learning was 0.86 in this study. Academic achievement was assessed by before and after the cooperative learning class. Cronbach's alpha was 0.95 in this study. Their learning attitude and self-directed learning capability were evaluated before and after the cooperative learning, and their satisfaction with the instruction and academic achievement were assessed by the written examination. Results: The score of learning attitude increased from 2.89 in the pretest to 3.38 in the posttest. The self-directed learning of the students increased from 2.98 in the pretest to 3.48 in the posttest. The academic achievement of students also increased from 82.0 in the pretest to 85.2 in the posttest. The satisfaction with instruction was 4.24 of Likert 5 scale. There were significant differences in satisfaction with instruction, cooperative learning and academic achievement. Conclusions: It is important to develop the cooperative learning program linked to self-directed learning for the dental hygiene students continuously. This study will provide the basic data and information for the development of new teaching methods for the dental hygiene.
academic achievement;cooperative learning;learning attitude self-directed learning capabilities
- Park IS, Kim MJ. Effect of reflective journaling in team learning on the learning motivation of learners. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(5): 849-59. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.849
- National competency standards, introduction[Internet]. [cited 2014 April 27]. Available from: http://www.ncs.go.kr/nos/dispatcher.jsp.
- Kil YS. A survey on college teaching practice. J Korean Teach Edu 2003: 20(1): 33-56.
- Lee YS. An ethnographic study for the improvement of teaching at the college level. J Anthropl Edu 2001: 4(3): 227-52.
- No EH, Min KI. Practical education for the 21st century teaching and learning methodologies. 2nd ed. Seoul: DMS Pub INC; 2002: 23-71.
- Park IS, Song GS. Effect of cooperative learning on learning strategies academic self-efficacy and class satisfaction among dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(1): 93-101. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.093
- Kim SH. Effect of collaborative learning on dental hygiene student education. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2013;15(4): 253-60.
- Yun HS. A case study for the application of collaborative learning-college of education 3rd grade math learning psychology class. J Open Edu Action Res 2010: 13: 45-67.
- Park IS. Effects of team assisted individualization on underachiever's academic achievement and learning attitudes. J Korean Learner-Centered Curri Ins 2001: 7(2): 141-61.
- Hwang SY. Effects of problem-based learning on the knowledge achievement, critical thinking ability, attitude and motivation toward learning of nursing students[Doctoral dissertation]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam National, 2003.
- Yoo KO, Cheong JW. A study on the self-direction of adult learners and its demographic and socio-psychological variables. J Life Long Edu 1998; 4(1): 119-50.
- Ham BS. College self-innovation in the field. Seoul: Samsung economic research Institute; 2009: 19-20.
- Park IS, Kim DK. Effect of TBL(team-based learning) on oral prophylaxis education of dental hygiene curriculum. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(1): 125-33.
- Kim SH. A study of problem based learning(PBL) experience in dental hygiene education-learning attitude, student assessment. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(5): 797-805.
- Park IS, Kim DK. Astudy on dental hygiene students effects of team-based learning in the dental hygiene curriculum on learning motivation and self-directed learning capabilities. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(1): 127-40.
- Park IS, Woo SH, Choi MH. A study on the development and application of inclusive dental hygiene practice model. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10(3): 155-60.
- Kim JS, Na SI. An ethnographic case study on interaction and learning strategy in course-linked learning community instruction of junior college. J Agricultural Edu & Human Resource Develo 2006: 38(4): 161-85.
- Chang KW. Effects fo full problem based learning of dental education in terms of problem solving process, metacognition, and intrinsic motivation. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(1): 90-102.
- Jung YR, Lee WS, Cho DJ. Development of PBL packages for the improvement of the problem-solving ability, self-directed learning capability and communicative competence of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(1): 33-49.
- Park SI. Effects of cooperative and competitive learning stratege on cognitive-effective. J Edu Res & Develo 1985: 7(1): 79-94.
- Kim SH, Jang JH, Oh SH. A study of the improvement subjects of the Korean dental hygienists licensing examination. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009: 9(3): 353-60.
- Yang JS, Seo EJ. Recognition of dentistry college students in teaching about preventive dentistry practices by achievement. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(3): 432-43.
- Jung YR, Hwang SH, Ahn SY, Sim SY, Han HJ, Choi HS. Efficient teaching behavior in lecture-style instruction of dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(1): 189-200. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.189
- Hwang CI, Lee SH. An analysis of hindrance factors of students' questioning in the university lecture class. J Edu Sci 2011; 42(1): 181-212.