- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Oral environmental change in the natural oral cleaner containing propolis
프로폴리스함유 천연구강청결제의 구강환경변화에 대한 임상적 연구
Choi, Woo Yang;Lee, Ji Youn;Jung, Hwa Young;Lim, Kun Ok;Jung, Sang Hee
- Received : 2014.12.04
- Accepted : 2015.04.07
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to verify the oral environmental change in using the natural oral cleaner containing propolis and prevention effect of oral disease. Methods: The subjects were 60 university students in Gangwon province. The groups consisted of 30 students of experimental group and 30 students of control group. The subjects were those who did not take the antipsychotic, diuretic, antihistamine, and anesthetic. The students rinsed their mouth with propolis mixture of oral cleanser for 4 weeks after receiving informed consent from October 1 to November 2, 2012. Collected saliva was measured for amount, salivary consistency, pH, plague index, gingival index, and halitosis. Results: The amount of salivary in propolis mixture of oral cleansing group remarkably increased (t=2.16, p<0.05). pH was alkaline in the group with oral cleaner containing the propolis (t=2.80, p<0.01). The bad breath remarkably decreased in the group with oral cleaner containing the propolis (t=-5.77, p<0.001). Conclusions: The use of the oral cleaner containing the propolis increased the amount of salivary and pH. The use of oral cleaner containing the propolis reduces halitosis and maintains good quality of oral hygiene.
essential oil;oral cleaner;oral environment;oral rinses;propolis
- Ministry of food and drug safety. Oral rinses Information Syste(MFDS), Press release [Internet] [cited 2014 Sep 5]. Available from: http://www.mfds.go.kr/index.
- Bea KH, Lee BJ, Jang YK, Lee BR, Lee WJ, Chang DS. et al. The effect of mouthrinse products containing sodium fluoride, cetylpyridinium chloride(CPC), pine leaf extracts and green tea extracts on the plaque, gingivitis, dental caries and halitosis. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2001; 25(1): 51-9.
- Kim SA, Jung HJ. Antimicrobial effects of propolis against oral microorganisms. Korea J Food Sci Technol 2013; 45(3): 370-5. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.3.370
- Jeong CH, Shin CS, Bea YI, Shim KH. Antioxidant activities of ethanol and water extracts from propolis. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2010; 39: 1725-30. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.12.1725
- Salomao K, Dantas AP, Borba CM, Campos LC, Machado DG, Aquino Neto FR, et al. Chemical composition and microbicidal activity of extracts from Brazilian and Bulgarian propolis. Lett Appl Microbiol 2004; 38: 87-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2003.01458.x
- Lim DK, Choi U, Shin DH, Jeong YS. Antioxidative effect of propolis extract on palm oil and lard. Korean J Food Sci Technol 1994; 26: 622-6.
- Han SK. Antioxidative effect of different kinds of pr opolis on the oxidation of edible oils. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 2003; 23: 168-71.
- Preventive Dentistry Research. Modern preventive dentistry. 2nd ed. Seoul: Koonja; 2008: 239-40.
- Barnett ML. The role of therapeutic antimicrobial mouthrinses in clinical parctic: control of supragingival plaque and gingivitis. J Am Dent Assoc 2003; 134(6): 699-704. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0255
- Gunsolley JC. Clinical efficacy of antimicrobial mouthrinses. J Dent 2010; 38(Suppl 1): 6-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(10)70004-X. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(10)70004-X
- Marsh PD. Controlling the oral biofilm with antimicrobial. J Dent 2010; 38(Suppl 1): 11-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(10)70005-1
- Kwon YR, Lee YS, Jun JG, Han SG, An JH, Jang GW. Effect on biofilm formation of Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus sobrinus by some mouth rinsing solution sold in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(1): 1-9.
- Song JH, Ban SH, Kim JB, An JH, Kim JC, Ha WH. et al.. Antibacterial effect of some mouth rinsing solution in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(4): 1225-388.
- Choi JM, Choi JY, Hwang KS, Park YD. Improvement effect of oral environment after using mouthwash containing cetylpyridinium chloride or triclosan. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(3): 330-9.
- Jung HY. A clinic study on the oral malodor related to the saliva and tongue plaque [Master's thesis]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2005.