- Volume 15 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of liberal arts curricula between three year and four year dental hygiene departments in Korea
국내 치위생(학)과의 교양교육과정 비교
Won, Bok-Yeon;Jang, Gye-Won;Hwang, Mi-Yeong;Jang, Jong-Hwa
- Received : 2015.03.19
- Accepted : 2015.04.22
- Published : 2015.04.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to compare the liberal arts curricula of domestic 3 year and 4 year dental hygiene departments and to obtain the basic data for the development of a standardized dental hygiene curriculum. Methods: The liberal arts curricula of fifteen 3 year and 4 year dental hygiene departments in Korea and other countries were analyzed. A survey was conducted on 801 selected dental hygiene majors from December 8 to 12, 2014. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 750 dental hygiene students and 150 dental hygiene professors. The questionnaire consisted of 5 questions of general characteristics and 13 questions including curricula change, usability of curricula, awareness of the suitability of dental hygiene curricula, and validity of curricula. Cronbach'a alpha was 0.71 in this study. Results: The grade point average in the liberal arts courses in Korean 4 year dental hygiene departments were 29, which was higher than that in 3 year dental hygiene departments of 13.2. There were large disparities among the colleges in the credits of these courses. The most common liberal arts courses in 4 year dental hygiene departments were foreign languages, man, society and communication, and natural science. In 3 year dental hygiene departments, English and foreign languages were the most common courses, followed by computer, man and society, philosophy and ethics. Foreign languages were considered to be the liberal arts course that should be most strengthened according to the job environment change of dental hygienist in globalizing society, followed by social psychology and pedagogy. Conclusions: Liberal arts courses were offered in the 4 year dental hygiene departments than in the 3 year dental hygiene departments in Korea, but there were a great deal of differences between colleges. The preparation of standardized guidelines on liberal arts courses are necessary. Liberal arts courses should support the performance skill and knowledge of the dental hygienists.
dental hygiene science;dental hygienist;liberal arts curricula
- Cha HS. New directions in university liberal education. Korean J General Educ 2007; 1(2): 149-63.
- Lee HC. Paradigm shift in 21st century university. Higher education 2005; 135: 79-82.
- Paek SS. A study on the restructuring of liberal arts curriculum in Korean higher education[doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Sungkyunkwan, 2012.
- Son DH. "Free major" as a leading model for university education. Korean J General Educ 2008; 2(2): 43-78.
- Kim SS, Oh JS, Jung SH, Nam YO, Jang GW, Song GH, et al. Clinical dental hygiene 9ed. Seoul: Daehannarae; 2007: 3-14.
- Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Kim SA, Jang JH. Development of Korean standard dental hygiene curriculum proposal. Daesion: Korean Society of Dental Hygiene; 2012.
- Kwon SH, Kang KH. Practical approach to integrated curriculum of undergraduate liberal arts education. Korean J General Educ 2008; 2(2): 7-24.
- Katz S. The liberal arts in school and college. Chron Higher Educ 2006; 52(27): 46-7.
- Byun SY, Kim MS. A study to improve curriculum of general education in university of education. Korean J General Educ 2012; 6(4): 203-6.
- Lee HS. Analysis of dental hygiene curriculum of dental hygiene programs in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009; 9(4): 808-23.
- Hwang MY, Lee CS. The study of dental hygienist integration curriculum module approch. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2007; 7: 595-605.
- Hwang MY. A study on the improvement of dental hygiene curriculums in comparison with the curriculum segment of the accrediting criteria for dental hygiene education. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2008; 8(4): 193-204.
- Cho YS, Lee SY. The method of clinical oral hygiene curriculum development. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2005; 5: 33-8.
- Kim SS, Kim MK, Oh SH, Mann NK. The implement status of dental hygiene curriculim in Korea and the comparison with the US ADA standard. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009; 9(3): 229-7.
- Choi GY, Choi BO, Cheo HS. A study of curriculum changes in dental hygiene department of colleges. J Voca Educ Res 2010; 29(3): 85-106.
- Kim JY, Kim YS, Jung SH, Shin JW. The necessity for the Korean Dental Hygiene Education Accreditation System. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 789-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.789. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.789
- Won BY, Hwang MY, Chun SY. The actual condition of operating dental hygiene curriculum between Korea and America. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10: 1061-71.
- Yang SK. Curriculum components affecting the professionalism of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11: 455-62.
- Kim SY, Joung SE, Hwang CI. Acomparison on general education curriculum of 4-year and 3-tear nursing schools in Korea. J Korean Acard Nurs 2011; 41(1): 101-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.101. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.101
- Choi GY. Analysis of curriculum decision-making systems of dental department[doctoral dissertation]. Changeon: Univ. of Kyungnam, 2010.
- Chun SY. A comparative study of general education in small, private, rural and education-centered university in Korea-America-Japan[doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2008.
- Park HR. Research and development of evalurion criteria for general curriculum of the 4-year colleges. J Curriculum Studies 2007; 25(3): 109-32. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.25.3.200709.005
- Lee SH. Curriculum theory in university. Seoul: Yonsei University Press; 1987.