- Volume 41 Issue 2
Objective: This study was conducted to develop a chemical oxygen demand (COD) regression model using water quality monitoring data (January, 2014) obtained from the Han River auto-monitoring stations. Methods: Surface water quality data at 198 sampling stations along the six major areas were assembled and analyzed to determine the spatial distribution and clustering of monitoring stations based on 18 WQPs and regression modeling using selected parameters. Statistical techniques, including combined genetic algorithm-multiple linear regression (GA-MLR), cluster analysis (CA) and principal component analysis (PCA) were used to build a COD model using water quality data. Results: A best GA-MLR model facilitated computing the WQPs for a 5-descriptor COD model with satisfactory statistical results (
CA;GA-MLR;Han River;PCA;Water quality parameter (WQP)
- Kim JK, Shin M, Jang C, Jung S, Kim B. Comparison of TOC and DOC Distribution and the Oxidation Efficiency of BOD and COD in Several Reservoirs and Rivers in the Han River System. J Kor Soc Water Qual. 2007; 23(1): 72-80.
- Patel V, Parikh P. Assessment of seasonal variation in water quality of River Mini, at Sindhrot, Vadodara. Int J Environ Sci. 2013; 3(5): 1424-1436.
- Lee HW, Choi JH. Temporal Analysis of Trends in Dissolved Organic Matter in Han River Water. Environ Eng Res. 2009; 14(4): 256-260. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2009.14.4.256
- An KG, Jeon HW, Choi JW. Spatio-temporal water quality variations at various streams of Han-River watershed and empirical models of serial impoundment reservoirs. Kor J Limnol. 2012; 45(4): 378-391. https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2012.45.4.378
- Palhares JCP, Guidoni AL, Steinmetz RLR, Mulinari, MR, Sigua, GC. Impacts of mixed farms on water quality of Pinhal river sub-basin, Santa Catarina, Brasil. Arch Zootec. 2012; 61(236): 493-504. https://doi.org/10.4321/S0004-05922012000400002
- Kim JI, Choi JW, An KG. Spatial and temporal variations of water quality in an urban Miho stream and some influences of the tributaries on the water quality. J Environ Sci Inter. 2014; 23(3): 433-445. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.3.433
- Venkatramanan S, Chung SY, Lee SY, Park N. (2014). Assessment of river water quality via environmentric multivariate statistical tools and water quality index: a case study of Nakdong River basin, Korea. Carpathian J Earth Environ Sci. 2014; 9: 125-132.
- Kim JH, Gramatica P, Kim MG, Kim D, Tratnyek PG. QSAR modelling of water quality indices of alkylphenol pollutants. SAR QSAR Environ Res. 2007; 18(7-8): 729-743. https://doi.org/10.1080/10629360701698761
- Cho HS, Kim KR, Lim GC, Bae KS, Lee MH. A Study on long-term variations of BOD and COD as indicators of organic matter pollution in the Han River. Kor J Limnol. 2012; 45(4): 474-481. https://doi.org/10.11614/KSL.2012.45.4.474
- Shin MS, Lee JY, Kim BC, Bae YJ. Long-term variations in water quality in the lower Han River. J Ecol Environ. 2011; 34(1): 31-37.
- Kim Y, Lee S. Evaluation of Water Quality for the Han River Tributaries Using Multivariate Analysis. 大韓環境工學會誌. 2011; 33(7): 501-510.
- Dubber D, Graya NF. Replacement of chemical oxygen demand (COD) with total organic carbon (TOC) for monitoring wastewater treatment performance to minimize disposal of toxic analytical waste. J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng. 2010; 45(12): 1595-1600. https://doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2010.506116
- Gwaski PA, Hati SS, Ndahi NP, Ogugbuaja VO. Modeling parameters of oxygen demand in the aquatic environment of Lake Chad for depletion estimation. ARPN J Sci Technol. 2013; 3(1): 116-123.
- Choi S, Kim K, Lee Y, Son, Cho E, Yoo P. Correlation analysis between TOC and the organic matter index of Busan streams. The Annual Report of Busan Metropolitan city Institute of Health & Environment. 2013; 23(1): 124-133.
- Hua X, Song X, Donga D. The Factors Affecting Relationship between COD and TOC of typical papermaking wastewater. CSISE 2, volume 105 of Advances in Soft Computing, Springer; 2011. p.239-244.
- Abyaneh HZ. Evaluation of multivariate linear regression and artificial neural networks in prediction of WQPs. J Environ Health Sci Eng. 2014; 12:40. https://doi.org/10.1186/2052-336X-12-40
- Yeon IS, Jun KW, Lee HJ. The improvement of total organic carbon forecasting using neural networks discharge model. Environ Technol. 2009; 30(1): 45-51. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593330802468780
- Malek S, Syed Ahmad SM, Singh SK, Milow P, Salleh A. Assessment of predictive models for chlorophyll-a concentration of a tropical lake. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011, 12(Suppl 13):S12.
- Chang H. Spatial and temporal variations of water quality in the Han River and its tributaries, Seoul, Korea, 1993-2002. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2005; 161: 267-284. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11270-005-4286-7
- Chang H. Spatial analysis of water quality trends in the Han River basin, South Korea. Water Res. 2008; 42(13): 3285-3304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.04.006
- Addinsoft. 2007. XLSTAT, Analyse de donnees et statistique avec MS Excel. Addinsoft, NY, USA.
- Todeschini R, Consonni V, Maiocchi A. The correlation index theory development and its application inchemometrics. Chemom Int Lab Sys. 1999; 46: 13-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-7439(98)00124-5
- Tropsha A, Carter CW, Jr, Cammer S, Vaisman II. Simplicial neighborhood analysis of protein packing (SNAPP): a computational geometry approach to studying proteins. Methods Enzymol. 2003; 374: 509-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(03)74022-1
- Verma RP, Hansch C. A QSAR study on the cytotoxicity of podophyllotoxin analogues against various cancer cell lines. Med Chem. 2010; 6(2): 79-86. https://doi.org/10.2174/157340610791321488
- Gramatica P. External evaluation of QSAR models, in addition to cross-validation: verification of predictive capability on totally new chemicals. Mol Inform. 2014; 33(4): 311-314. https://doi.org/10.1002/minf.201400030
- Golbraikh A, Bonchev D, Tropsha A. Novel ZEIsomerism descriptors derived from molecular topology. J Chem. Inf Comput Sci. 2002; 42: 769-787. https://doi.org/10.1021/ci0103469
- Kiralj R, Ferreira MMC. Basic Validation procedures for regression models in QSAR and QSPR studies: Theory and application. J Braz Chem Soc. 2009; 20: 770-787. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-50532009000400021
- Gramatica P. Principles of QSAR models validation: Internal and external. QSAR Comb Sci. 2007; 26: 694-701. https://doi.org/10.1002/qsar.200610151
- Rene ER, Saidutta, MB. Prediction of water quality indices by regression analysis and artificial neural networks. IJER. 2008; 2(2): 183-188.
- Maitera ON, Ogugbuaja VO, Barminas JT. An assessment of the organic pollution indicator levels of River Benue in Adamawa State, Nigeria. J Environ Chem Ecotoxicol. 2010; 2(7): 110-116.
- Jeong YH, Kim HS, Yang JS. Statistical Analyses of Long-Term Water Quality Variation in the Geumgang-Reservoir: Focused on the TP load by migrating birds excrement. J Kor Soc Mar Environ Engineer. 2010; 13(4): 223-233.
- Frenzel SA, Couvillion CS (2002) Fecal-indicator bacteria in streams along a gradient of residential development. JAWRA. 38:265-273.
- Yuan F, Quellos JA, Fan C. Controls of phosphorus loading and transport in the Cuyahoga Riverof northeastern Ohio, USA. Appl Geochem. 2013; 38: 59-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeochem.2013.08.011
- Kneis D, Knoesche R, Bronstert A. Analysis and simulation of nutrient retention and management for a lowland river-lake system. Hydrol Earth Syst Sci. 2006; 10(4):575-588. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-10-575-2006
- An KG. Determination of a limiting nutrient regulating algal biomass using in situ experiments of nutrient enrichment bioassay (NEB) and empirical relations of nutrients and chlorophyll-a. J Environ Biol. 2003; 24(3): 229-239.
- Shin MS, Lee JY, Kim BC; Bae YJ. Long-term variations in water quality in the lower Han River. J Ecol Environ. 2011; 34(1): 31-37.
- Astel A, Biziuk M, Przyjazny A, Namiesnik J. Chemometrics in monitoring spatial and temporal variation in drinking water quality. Water Res. 2006; 8: 1706-1716.
- Yoon T, Rhodes C, Shah FA. Upstream water resource management to address downstream pollution concerns: A policy framework with application to the Nakdong River basin in South Korea. Article first published online: 2 FEB 2015 DOI: 10.1002/2013WR014201.
- Dzialowski AR, Wang SH, Lim NC, Spotts WW, Huggins DG. Nutrient limitation of phytoplankton growth in central plains reservoirs, USA. J. Plankton Res. 2005; 27(6): 587-595. https://doi.org/10.1093/plankt/fbi034
Supported by : Dongduk Women's University