- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Design and Implementation of a Learning Organization for Autonomous Biosafety Management of Infectious Disease Laboratories by Knowledge Translation
지식확산에 의한 감염병 실험실의 자율적 생물안전관리 학습조직 설계 및 실행
Shin, Haeng-Seop;Yu, Minsu
- Received : 2015.02.13
- Accepted : 2015.04.21
- Published : 2015.04.28
Objectives: A learning organization was designed and implemented on the basis of the selection criteria and essential elements of knowledge translation theory. Methods: The learning organization was designed on the basis of biosafety harmonization criteria and risk management strategy and was implemented as the learning organization for biosafety management by the National Institute of Health, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. The effect of knowledge translation in the research institutions by evidence-based policy was verified. Results: The result of applying the knowledge translation theory involving all stakeholders showed a positive reaction in establishing and implementing biosafety management strategy and embodied risk assessment criteria and evoked sympathy with the necessity of learning and using of expert knowledge about risk assessment and risk management. All stakeholders initiated voluntarily action toward new human-network construction and communication between similar organizations. The learning organization's capability expanded the base of knowledge translation. Conclusion: These results showed that a learning organization could enhance the autonomous safety management system by diffusion of knowledge translation.
biosafety management system;evidence-based policy;knowledge translation;learning organization
- WHO. Bridging the "Know-Do" Gap Meeting on Knowledge Translation in Global Health. Geneva: WHO; 2005.
- Nuyens Y, Lansang MAD. Knowledge translation : linking the past to the future, Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2006; August 84: 590. https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.06.033969
- DoH(Department of Health). Report of the high level group on clinical effectivenes. London: DoH; 2007.
- Wensing M, Wollersheim H, Grol R. Organizational interventions to implement improvements in patient care: a structured review of reviews. Implement sci. 2006; 1: 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-1-2
- DoH(Department of Health). Best research for best health: a new national health research strategy. London: Research and Development Directorate DoH; 2006.
- DoH(Department of Health). The way forward: the NHS Institute for learning, skills and innovation. London: Transitions Team DoH; 2005.
- Khoddam H, Mehrdad N, Peyrovi H, Kitson AL, Schultz TJ, Athlin AM. Knowledge translation in health care: a concept analysis. Med J Islamic Republic of Iran. 2014; 28-98.
- Estabrooks CA, Thompson DS, Lovely JJE, Hofmeyer A. A guide to knowledge translation theory. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2006; 26: 25-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/chp.48
- Mitton C, Adair CE, McKenzie E, Patten SB, Perry BW. Knowledge transfer and exchange: review and synthesis of the literature. Milbank Q, 2007; 85: 729-768. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0009.2007.00506.x
- Woolf SH. The meaning of translational research and why it matters. JAMA-J Am Med Assoc. 2008; 299: 211-213.
- Nicolini D. Managing knowledge in the healthcare sector: a review. Int J Manag Rev, 2008; 10: 245-263. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2370.2007.00219.x
- Lockyer J, Gondocz ST, Thiverge RL. Knowledge translation: the role and place of practice reflection. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2004; 24: 50-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/chp.1340240108
- Ghaye T. Building the Reflective Healthcare Organisation. Oxford: Blackwell; 2008.
- French B, Thomas LH, Baker P, Burton CR, Pennington L, Roddam H. What can management theories offer evidence-based practice? A comparative analysis of measurement tools for organisational context. Implement Sci. 2009; 4(28). Available: doi:10.1186/1748-5908-4-28 [accssed 13 February 2014] https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-4-28
- Yu MS. Development of a harmonization standard for biosafety risk assessment of infectious disease laboratories using management consulting methodology. J Environ Health Sci. 2014b; 40(3): 187-203.
- Yu MS. Construction of biosafety risk management strategy for infectious disease laboratory. J Risk Manage. 2014a; 25(1): 1-23.
- Innvaer S, Vist G, Trommald M, Oxman A. Health policy-makers perceptions of their use of evidence: a systematic review, J Health Serv Res Policy. 2002;7(4):239-244. https://doi.org/10.1258/135581902320432778
- Reardon R, Lavis J, Gibson J. From research to practice: a knowledge transfer planning guide, Toronto: Institute for Work & Health; 2006.
- Lomas J. Using Linkage and Exchange to move Research into Policy at a Canadian Foundation. Health Affairs. 2000; 19(3): 236-240. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.19.3.236
- Wilson MG, Lavis JN, Travers R, Rourke SB. Community-based knowledge transfer and exchange: Helping community-based organizations link research to action. Implement Sci. 2010; 5: 33. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-5-33
- Bourdouxhe M, Gratton L. Transfert et utilisation des resultats en milieu de travail : le cas de la recherche sur les eboueurs au Quebec, Perspectives interdisciplinaires sur le travail et la sante. 2003; 5(1): 315-321.
- Henriksen LB, Norreklit L, Jorgensen KM, Christensen JB, O'Donnell D, Dimensions of Change-Conceptualising Reality in Organisational Research. Copenhagen: Copenhagen Business School Press; 2004.
- Zahra SA, George G. Absorptive Capacity: A review Reconceptualization, and Extension. Acad Manage Rev. 2002; 27(2): 185-203.
- Kramer DM, Cole D. Sustained, Intensive Engagement to Promote Health and Safety Knowledge Transfer to and Utilization by Workplaces. Sci Commun. 2003; 25(1): 56-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1075547003252334
- Rogers EM. Diffusion of innovations. 5th ed. New York: Free Press; 2003.
- Havelock RG. Planning for innovation through dissemination and utilization of knowledge. Ann Arbor, MI: Center for Research on Utilization of Scientific Knowledge; 1969.
- Greenhalgh RG, Macfarlane F, Bate P, Kyriakidou O. Diffusion of innovations in service organizations: Systematic review and recommendations. Milbank Q. 2004; 82: 581-629 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0887-378X.2004.00325.x
- McCormack B, Kitson A, Harvey G, Rycroft-Malone J, Titchen A, Seers K. Getting evidence into practice: The meaning of "context.". J Adv Nurs. 2002; 38: 94-104. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02150.x
- Rycroft-Malone J, Seers K, Titchen A, Harvey G, Kitson A, McCormack B. What counts as evidence in evidence-based practice?. J Adv Nurs. 2004; 47: 81-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03068.x
- Logan J, Graham ID. Toward a comprehensive interdisciplinary model of health care research use. Sci Commun. 1998; 20: 227-246. https://doi.org/10.1177/1075547098020002004
- Gagne C, Lazure L, Ledoux E, Ouellet S, Fournier PS. Knowledge Management in the Quebec Mining Industry: A Framework of Practice to Ensure Evidence-Based Knowledge Translation. Proc 12th Eur Conf Knowl Manage. 2011; 1: 315-321.
- Shin D., Yi S. The Structure of the Macro Organization Theory Field: Four Core Paradigms of Contemporary Macro Organization Theory. Yonsei Bus Rev. 2007; 44(2): 367-389.
- Choi CG, Lee CW. Scott's Four Perspectives on Organizations and Morgan's Eight Images of Organization: The Integrative Perspective. Korean Policy Sci Rev. 2012; 16(2): 113-138.
- Kim MJ, Yoon JK. Three methanisms of learning organization: effects of shared knowledge, dialogue, and shared identity on team effectiveness. J Organ Manage. 2012; 36(1): 31-65.
- Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training. A scheme incorporate a concept of learning organization into a enterprise. Seoul: Korea Research Institute for Vocational Education & Training; 2001.
- Senge PM. The fifth discipline : the art and practice of building learning organization, New York, MA: Doubleday; 1990.
- Hoffman EJ, Boyle J. Managing mission knowledge at NASA. Available: http://www.astd.org/Publications/Magazines/TD/TD-Archive/2014/07/Managing-Mission-Knowledge-at-NASA [accssed 13 February 2014]
- Nonaka I, Takeuchi H. The knowledge creating company: how Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation. New York: Oxford University Press: 1995; p284.
- Kim CJ. Comparative Study for Knowledge Management and Learning Organization. Korean Bus Rev. 2012; 5(2): 53-154.
- Ackoff RL. From data to wisdom. J Appl Syst Anal. 1989; 16: 3-9.
- Malhotra Y, Galletta DF. Extending the technology acceptance model to account for social influence: theoretical bases and empirical validation. Systems Sciences. Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Hawaii International Conference. 1999.
- Jung YS, Eom TH. The study on the validation of factors for communities of practice in public & forprofit organization. Korean Public Manage Rev. 2013; 27(2): 103-128. https://doi.org/10.24210/kapm.2013.27.2.005
- Bartle I, Vass P. Self-regulation and the regulatory state: a survey of policy and practice. Centre for the study of Regulated Industries(CRI). University of Bath; 2005.
- OECD. United Kingdom. Challenges at the Cutting Edge. Paris; 2002a
- OECD. Regulatory Policies in OECD Countries. From Interventionism to Regulatory Governance. Paris: 2002b
- Lee CW, Im JJ. A Study on a Plausible Vicious Circle of Fortified Regulation Under the Constraint of Regulatory Resources. Korean Public Manage Rev. 2014; 28(3): 1-23.
- Shin TS, Kim BS. Worker's Compensation and Prevention Theory. Seoul: Hyeongseol Press; 2008.
- Division of Biosafety Evaluation and Control. Guideline of Construct and Operation on Institutional Biosafety Committee. In: Korea Center for Disease Control & Perventation. Osong: KNID Press; 2014.
- Kim HJ, Lee KS. A Study on the SME's organizational performance by learning organization's activities. J Lifelong Education and HRD. 2010; 6(3): 161-189.
- Nonaka I. The knowledge-creating company. Hav Bus Rev, 1991; Nov/Dec: 96-104.
- Radnor Z, Mahoney JO. The role of management consultancy in implementing operations management in the public sector. Int J Oper Prod Manage. 2013; 33(11/12): 1555-1578. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJOPM-07-2010-0202
- Cong X, Pandya VK. Issues of knowledge management in the public sector. Electronic J Knowl Manage, 2003; 1(2): 25-33.