- Volume 16 Issue 1
In the present study, an effort was made to numerically investigate rectangular cavity aeroacoustics with and without doors. The simulation was performed on an open cavity with an aspect ratio of 5:1:1 at Mach 0.85 using the delayed detached eddy simulation (DDES) approach based on the Spalart-Allmaras model. Two cavity configurations, a clean cavity and a cavity with doors, were modeled. The results obtained from the clean cavity were compared with the experimental sound pressure levels (SPL) and the root mean square for the pressures applied. Furthermore, comparisons of frequencies were made using a modified semi-empirical Rossiter formula. The simulation using DDES precisely predicted the pressure fluctuation and the results matched the experiment quite well. The SPLs at the rear of the cavity were much higher than those in the front due to the instability of the shear layer impinging on the rear wall. Comparisons of DDES for the clean cavity and the doors-on cavity revealed that the SPLs inside the cavity as well as the magnitude of tones are amplified by the side doors. The main focus of this investigation was to obtain a better understanding of the open cavity acoustic resonance phenomenon and investigate the effects of cavity doors on the SPL.
DDES;Aeroacoustic;Cavity;Sound Pressure Level
- K. Karamcheti, Acoustic Radiation from Two-Dimensional Rectangular Cutouts in Aerodynamic Surfaces, Technical Report 3487, California Institute of Technology, August 1955.
- Mark H. Morton, Craig D. Hampson, and Ric A. Alexander, "Final vibration and Acoustic Loads Development for Certification of the F-22 Advanced Tactical Fighter", Proceeding of the 49th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Schaumburg, IL, USA, 2008.
- Rossiter, J.E., Wind Tunnel Experiments on the Flow over Rectangular Cavities at Subsonic and Transonic Speeds, Reports and Memoranda 3438, Aeronautical Research Council, London, 1964.6.
- Heller. H., Holmes. D, and Covert. E, "Flow Induced Pressure Oscillations in Shallow Cavities", Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 18, No. 4, 1971, pp. 545-553. DOI: 10.1016/0022-460X(71)90105-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(71)90105-2
- Mendonca, F., Allen. R., de Charentenay. J, and Kirkham. D, "CFD Prediction of Narrowband and Broadband Cavity Acoustics at M=0.85", Proceeding of the 9th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference and Exhibit, Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA, 2003.
- Shia Hui Peng, "Simulation of Turbulent Flow Past a Rectangular Open Cavity Using DES and Unsteady RANS", Proceeding of the 24th Applied Aerodynamics Conference, San Francisco, California, USA, 2006.
- Arina. R. and Ceresola. N., "Numerical Simulation of the Aerodynamic Flow Field and Radiated Noise of a Transonic cavity", Proceeding of the European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics, ECCOMAS CFD, 2006.
- Li. Z., Debashis Basu. and Hamed. A., "Numerical Simulation of Sidewall Effects on the Acoustic Field in Transonic Cavity", Proceeding of the 45th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, Jan 2007.
- Larcheveque. L., Sagaut. P., Le. T., "Large-Eddy Simulations of Flows in Weapon Bays", Proceeding of the 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, Jan 2003.
- Ashworth. R., "Prediction of acoustic resonance phenomena for cavities using detached eddy simulation". Proceeding of the Royal Aero Society Conference, QinetiQ, UK, 2004.
- Allen. R. and Mendonca. F., "DES Validation of Cavity Acoustics over the Subsonic to Supersonic Range", Proceeding of the 10th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, Manchester, United kingdom, 2004.
- Boydston. J., Squires. K. and Forsythe. J., "Detached Eddy Simulation of High Reynolds Number Flow over a Rectangular Cavity", Proceeding of the 46th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, Jan 2008.
- Travin. A., Shur. M., Strelets. M. and Spalart. P., "Physical and Numerical Upgrades in the Detached Eddy Simulation of Complex Turbulent Flows", Advances in LES of Complex Flows, edited by P. Friedrich and W.Rodi, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002, pp. 239-254.
- Spalart. P. R., Jou. W. H., Strelets. M. and Allmaras. S. R., "Comments on the Feasibility of LES for Wings, and on a Hybrid RANS/LES Approach," Advance in DNS/LES, Proceeding of the 1st AFOSR International Conference on DNS/LES, Greyden Press, Columbus, OH, 1997.
- Squires. K. D., "Detached Eddy Simulation: Current Status and Perspectives," Proceedings of Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation-5, Kluwer Academic, Norwell, MA, 2004.
- Zhang, J., Morishitaf. E., Okunukil. T. and Itoh. H., "Experimental and Computational Investigation of Supersonic Cavity Flows", Proceeding of the 10th AIAA/NALNASDA-ISAS International Space Planes and Hypersonic Systems and Technologies Conference, Kyoto, Japan, 2001.
- Chung. K., "Characteristics of Compressible Rectangular Cavity Flows", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 40, No. 1, 2003, pp. 137-142. DOI:10.2514/2.3068 https://doi.org/10.2514/2.3068
- Spalart. P. R. and Allmaras. S. R., "A One-Equation Turbulence Model for Aerodynamic Flows," Proceeding of the 30th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibition, Reno, NV, USA, Jan 1992.
- Henshaw. M.J. de C., "M219 cavity case-Verification and Validation Data for Computational Unsteady Aerodynamics", Tech. Rep. RTO-TR-26, AC/323 (AVT) TP/19, QinetiQ, UK, 2000.
- Smagorinsky. J., "General Circulation Experiments with the Primitive Equations", Monthly Weather Review, Vol. 91, No. 3, 1963, pp. 99-164. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1963)091<0099:GCEWTP>2.3.CO;2
- G.W. Foster, J.A. Ross, and R.M. Ashworth, "Weapon Bay Aerodynamics Wind Tunnel Trials and CFD Modeling by QinetiQ UK", Proceeding of the RTO/AVT Symposium on Flow-Induced Unsteady Loads and the Impact on Military Applications, Budapest, Hungary, 2005.
- Rowley. C. W. and Williams. D. R., "Dynamics and Control of High Reynolds number Flow over Open Cavities", Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 38, 2006, pp. 251-276. DOI: 10.1146/annurev.fluid.38.050304.092057 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fluid.38.050304.092057
- Xiaoxian Chen, Neil D. and Sandham, Xin Zhang, "Cavity Flow Noise Predictions", Tech. Rep. MSTARR-DARP, AFM-07/05, Southampton, UK, 2007.