- Volume 16 Issue 1
Analysis and test of hydrodynamic ram in welded metallic tanks containing water were performed to investigate the phenomena and to understand the effects on the resulting structural behavior. Arbitrary Lagrange-Euler coupling method was used for the analysis of the fluid-structure interaction occurring in the hydrodynamic ram, where the projectile, tank, and water are exchanging load, momentum, and energy during the traveling of the projectile through the water of the tank. For a better representation of the physical phenomena, modeling of the welded edges is added to the analysis to simulate the earlier weld line fracture and its influence on the resulting hydrodynamic ram behavior. Corresponding hydrodynamic tests were performed in a modified gas gun facility, and the following panel-based examinations of various parameters, such as displacement, velocity, stress, and energy, as well as hydrodynamic ram pressure show that the analysis and test are well correlated, and thus the results of the study reasonably explain the characteristics of the hydrodynamic ram. The methodology and procedures of the present study are applicable to the hydrodynamic ram assessment of airframe survivability design concepts.
Hydrodynamic Ram;Fluid-structure Interaction;Welded joint;Airframe Survivability
- Ball, R., "The Fundamentals of Aircraft Combat Survivability Analysis and Design", AIAA, 2003.
- Jacobson, M., "Addendum to Design Manual for Impact Damage Tolerant Aircraft Structure", Aircraft Division of Northrop Corporation, AGARD-AG-238, Hawthorne, CA, 1988.
- Kim, J. and Jun, S., "Simulation of Hydrodynamic Ram of Aircraft Fuel Tank by Ballistic Penetration and Detonation" International Journal of Modern Physics B, Vol. 22, No. 9-11, 2008, pp. 1525-1530. https://doi.org/10.1142/S021797920804702X
- Hinrichsen, R., Kurtz, A. and Parks, J., "Modeling Projectile Damage in Transport Aircraft Wing Structures", AIAA, Vol. 46, No. 2, 2008, pp. 328-335. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.26374
- Hinrichsen, R., Stratton, S., Moussa, A. and Zhang, G., "Hydrodynamic Ram Simulator", Joint Aircraft Survivability Program Report, JASPO-V-07-06-001, Wright-Patterson, OH, 2008.
- Varas, D., Lopez-Puente, J. and Zaera, R., "Numerical Analysis of the Hydrodynamic Ram Phenomenon in Aircraft Fuel Tanks", AIAA, Vol. 50, No. 7, 2012, pp. 1621-1630. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J051613
- Heimbs, S., Nogueira, A., Hombergsmeier, E., May, M. and Wolfrum, J., "Failure Behaviour of Composite T-joints with Novel Metallic Arrow-pin Reinforcement", Composite Structures, 2013, pp. 16-28. DOI:10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.11.022 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.11.022
- Aquelet, N., Souli, M. and Olovsson, L., "Euler-Lagrange Coupling with Damping Effects: Application to Slamming Problems", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 2005.
- LS-DYNA version 971, Livermore Software Technology Corporation (LSTC), 2007.
- 6061 Aluminum Alloy. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6061_aluminium_alloy #Welding.
- Alcoa Mill Products, Alcoa Structural Handbook, 2006.
- "Guide for Aluminum Welding", Maxal International Inc., 2012, pp. 6-7.
- Hallquist, J., LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual Version 971, Livermore Software Technology Corporation (LSTC), 2007.
- McCallum, S., Locking, P. and Harkness, S., "Simulation of Masonry Wall Failure and Debris Scatter", 6th European LS-DYNA Users' Conference, 2007.
- Dolce, F., Meo, M., Wright, A. and French, M., "Structural Response of Laminated Composite Plates to Blast Load", 17th International Conference on Composite Materials, Piscataway NJ, 2009.
- Disimile, P., Swanson, L. and Toy, N., "The Hydrodynamic Ram Pressure Generated by Spherical Projectiles", International Journal of Impact Engineering, 2009, pp. 821-829.
- Analysis of Fluid-Structure Interaction by High Velocity Impact for Liquid Filled Cylindrical Container vol.44, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2016.44.2.108
- Investigation of Hydrodynamic Ram Behavior Using Newly Established HRam Gun System pp.2093-2480, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0090-7
Supported by : Agency for Defense Development