- Volume 16 Issue 1
In Korea, Lunar exploration program has been prepared with the aim of launching in the 2020's. As a part of it, a lunar lander demonstrator was developed, which was the model for verifying the system such as structure, propulsion, and control system, before launching into the deep space. This paper deals with the path tracking performance of the lunar lander demonstrator with respect to the thruster controller based on Pulse Width Pulse Frequency Modulator (PWPFM) and Pulse Width Modulator (PWM). First, we derived equations of motion, considering the allocation of the thrusters, and designed the path tracking controller based on Euler angle. The signal generated from the path tracking controller is continuous, so PWPFM and PWM modulator are adopted for generating ON/OFF signal. Finally, MATLAB simulation is performed for evaluating the path tracking ability. We compared the path tracking performances of PWPFM and PWM based thrust controller, using performance measures such as the total impulse and the position error with respect to the desired path.
Lunar Lander Demonstrator;Thrust Controller;PWPFM;PWM;Path Tracking Controller
- D. Rew, K. Ju, S. Lee, K. Kim, S. Kang, and S. Lee, "Control System Design of the Korean Lunar Lander Demonstrator", Acta Astronautica, Vol. 94, No. 1, 2014, pp. 328-337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2013.03.023
- D. Rew, K. Ju, S. Kang, H. Seo, and S. Lee, "Control System Configuration Design and Dynamics Simulation for Lunar Lander Demonstrator", KSAS 2011 Conference, Korea, Sep. 9-11, 2011
- B. J. Morse, B. W. Ballard, and C L. B. Reed, "NASA's Robotic Lunar Lander Project Update", AIAA SPACE 2010 Conference and Exposition, Anaheim, California, Aug. 30 -Sep. 2, 2010.
- R. Frampton, K Oittinen, J. M. Ball, A. Khodadoust, D. Kirshman, G. Grayson, and P. Sundaram, "Planetary Lander Dynamic Model for GN&C", AIAA SPACE 2009 Conference and Exposition, Pasadena, California, Sep. 14-17, 2009.
- M. J. SIDI, Spacecraft Dynamics and Control, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1997, pp. 260-290.
- K. L. Zhang, S. K. Chou and Simon S. Ang, "Performance Prediction of a Novel Solid-Propellant Microthruster", Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 22, No. 1, 2006, pp.56-63. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.6893
- Raymond Kristiansen, and David Hagen, "Modeling of Actuator Dynamics for Spacecraft Attitude Control", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 1022-1025. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.42574
- Altug E., Ostrowski J. P. and Taylor C. J., "Control of a Quadrotor Helicopter Using Dual Camera Visual Feedback", The International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 24, No. 5, 2005, pp. 329-341. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364905053804
- T. D. Krovel, Optimal Tunning of PWPF Modulator for Attitude Control, Master Thesis, Department of Engineering Cybernetics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2005.
- T. C. Anthony and B. Wie, Pulse Modulated Control Synthesis for a Flexible Spacecraft, AIAA, 1989, pp. 65-76.
- N. Ma and G. Song, "Control of Shape Memory Alloy Actuator using Pulse Width Modulation", Smart Materials and Structure, Vol. 12, No. 5, 2003, pp. 712-719. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/12/5/007
- K. Kim, J. Lee, S. Lee, S. Ko, D. Rew and G. Ju, "Path Tracking Controller Design and Simulation for the Lunar Lander Demonstrator", AIAA Modeling and Simulation Technologies Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Aug. 13-16, 2012.