- Volume 39 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Efficient Kinect Sensor-Based Reactive Path Planning Method for Autonomous Mobile Robots in Dynamic Environments
키넥트 센서를 이용한 동적 환경에서의 효율적인 이동로봇 반응경로계획 기법
- Tuvshinjargal, Doopalam (Smart Autonomous System Lab, School of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Lee, Deok Jin (Smart Autonomous System Lab, School of Mechanical & Automotive Engineering, Kunsan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2014.08.20
- Accepted : 2015.04.08
- Published : 2015.06.01
In this paper, an efficient dynamic reactive motion planning method for an autonomous vehicle in a dynamic environment is proposed. The purpose of the proposed method is to improve the robustness of autonomous robot motion planning capabilities within dynamic, uncertain environments by integrating a virtual plane-based reactive motion planning technique with a sensor fusion-based obstacle detection approach. The dynamic reactive motion planning method assumes a local observer in the virtual plane, which allows the effective transformation of complex dynamic planning problems into simple stationary ones proving the speed and orientation information between the robot and obstacles. In addition, the sensor fusion-based obstacle detection technique allows the pose estimation of moving obstacles using a Kinect sensor and sonar sensors, thus improving the accuracy and robustness of the reactive motion planning approach. The performance of the proposed method was demonstrated through not only simulation studies but also field experiments using multiple moving obstacles in hostile dynamic environments.
Mobile Robot;Kinect Sensor;Reactive Path Planning;Virtual Plane;Collision Avoidance;Sensor Fusion
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Litman, T., 2014, "Autonomous Vehicle Implementation Predictions: Implications for Transport Planning," Traffic Technology International, Victoria, Canada, pp. 36-42.
- Siegwart, R., Nourbakhsh. I. R. and Scaramuzza, D., 2011, "Introduction to Autonomous Mobile Robots," 2nd Ed., The MIT Press, London, England.
- van den Berg, J. P. and Overmars, M. H., 2005, "Roadmap-based Motion Planning in Dynamic Environments," IEEE Trans. Robot., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 885-897. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2005.851378
- Hsu, D., Kindel, R., Latombe, J.-C. and Rock, S., 2002, "Randomized Kinodynamic Motion Planning with Moving Obstacles," Int. J. Robot. Res., Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 233-255. https://doi.org/10.1177/027836402320556421
- Ge, S. S. and Cui, S. S., 2002, "Dynamic Motion Planning for Mobile Robots Using Potential Field Method," Autonomous. Robots, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 207-233. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020564024509
- Valavanis, K. P., Hebert, T., Kolluru, R. and Tsourveloudis, N., 2000, "Mobile Robot Navigation in 2-d Dynamic Environments Using an Electrostatic Potential Field," IEEE Trans. System, Systems and Humans, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 187-196.
- Kim, S. K. Lee, H. J. Kim, K. S. Bae, W. M. and Lee D. J., 2015, "Image Tracking Based Lane Departure Warning and Forward Collision Warning Methods for Commercial Automative Vehicle," Transaction on Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 235-240. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.2.235
- Stentz, A., 1994, "Optimal and Efficient Path Planning for Partially-known Environments," IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, Vol. 4, pp. 3310-3317.
- Larsson, J., 2007, "Reactive Navigation of an Autonomous Vehicle in Underground Mines," Orebro University, Sweden.
- Seder, M. and Petrovic, I., 2007, "Dynamic Window Based Approach to Mobile Robot Motion Control in the Presence of Moving Obstacles," IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, pp. 1986-1992.
- Fox, D., Burgard, W. and Thrun, S., 1997, "The Dynamic Window Approach to Collision Avoidance," IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 23-33. https://doi.org/10.1109/100.580977
- Minguez, J. and Montano, L., 2004, "Nearness Diagram Navigation: Collision Avoidance in Troublesome Scenarios". IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 20, No. 1. pp. 45-59. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRA.2003.820849
- Belkhouche, F., 2009, "Reactive Path Planning in a Dynamic Environment," IEEE Transactions On Robotics, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 902-911. https://doi.org/10.1109/TRO.2009.2022441
- Simmons, R., 1996, "The Curvature-Velocity Method for Local Obstacle Avoidance," IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 4, pp. 3375-3382.
- Owen, E. and Montano, L., 2005, "Motion Planning in Dynamic Environments Using the Velocity Space," IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 2833-2838.
- Chakravarthy, A. and Ghose, D., 1998, "Obstacle Avoidance in Dynamic Environment: A Collision Cone Approach," IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man Cybernetics. Part A, System and, Humans, Vol. 28, No. 5, pp. 562-574.
- Fiorini, P. and Shiller, Z., 1995, "Robot Motion Planning in Dynamic Environments," International Symposium of Robotic Research, pp. 237-248.
- Shiller, Z. Large, F. and Sekhavat, S., 2001, Motion Planning in Dynamic Environments: Obstacles Moving Along Arbitrary Trajectories. IEEE International Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 4, pages 3716-3721.
- Fiorini, P. and Shiller, Z., 1998, "Motion Planning in Dynamic Environments Using Velocity Obstacles," Int. Journal of Roboics Research., Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 760-772. https://doi.org/10.1177/027836499801700706
- Byambaa Dorj, Doopalam Tuvshinjargal, Chong, K. T., Hong, D. P. and Lee, D. J., 2014, "Multi-Sensor Fusion Based Effective Obstacle Avoidance and Path-Following Technology," Advanced Science Letters, Vol. 20, pp.1751-1756. https://doi.org/10.1166/asl.2014.5680
- Philippsen, R., Jensen, B. and Siegwart, R., 2007, "Towards Real-time Sensor Based Path Planning in Highly Dynamic Environments," Autonomous Navigation in Dynamic Environments, Vol. 35, Springer, Berlin, Germany, pp. 135-148.
- Song, K. -T. and Chang, C., 1999, "Reactive Navigation in Dynamic Environment Using a Multisensor Predictor," IEEE Trans. on System, Man and Cybernetics, Part B, Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 912-925. https://doi.org/10.1109/3477.809045
- Khoshelham, K. and Elberink, S. O., 2012, "Accuracy and Resolution of Kinect Depth Data for Indoor Mapping Applications," Sensors 2012, pp. 1437-1454.
- Han, J., Shao, L., Xu. D. and Shotton, J., 2013, "Enhanced Computer Vision with Microsoft Kinect Sensor: A Review," IEEE Trans. cybernetics, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 1318-1334. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCYB.2013.2265378
- Microsoft Kinect for X-BXO 360, Available Online: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/kinect/ (accessed on 07 July 2014).
- Kronolige, K. and Mihelich, P., Technical Description of Kinect Calibration. http://www.ros.org/wiki/kinect_calibration/technical (accessed on 07 July 2014).
- Lego Mindstorms NXT, Available Online: http://www.lego.com/en-us/mindstorms/ (accessed on 07 July 2014).
- Choe, T. W. Son, H. S., Song, J. H. and Park, J.H., 2012, Intelligent Robot System HBE-Robocar, HanBack Electronics, Seoul, Korea.
- Shashank, Gaurav, Sharma, M. and Shukla, A., 2012, "Robot Navigation Using Image Processing and Isolated Word Recognition," International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering (IJCSE), Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 769-778.
- Chandak, A., Gosavi, K., Giri, S., Agrawal, S. and Kulkarni, P., 2013, "Path Planning for Mobile Robot Navigation Using Image Processing," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Vol. 4, No. 6, pp. 1490-1495.