- Volume 17 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of laughter therapy on arthralgia, ankylosis, depression and sleep of elderly housebound women suffering from osteoarthritis. Methods: The study used a nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design. The participants were 48 elderly women: 23 in the experimental group and 25 in the control group. The experimental group received laughter therapy twice a week for 4 weeks. The results were analyzed by using
- Yang SJ, An JS. Health status, health behavior and quality of life in the elderly with osteoarthritis. Nursing Science. 2011;23(2):23-33.
- Yang SO, Lee SH. A survey on the customized visiting nurse's assessment and management of chronic musculoskeletal pain in older adults. Journal of Korean Academic of Community Health Nursing. 2010;21(3):311-320. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.3.311 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.3.311
- Lee YJ. A Study on the Effect of pain, sleep pattern, life satisfaction on depression in elderly women with osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Gerontology Society. 2011;31(2):211-222.
- Oh HS, Ahn SA. The effects of Foot reflexology on pain and depression of middle-aged women with osteoarthritis. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2006;9(1):25-33.
- Kim CS, Yoo KS, Hong SH. The effects of foot reflexology on arthralgia, ankylosis, depression and sleep in community-dwelling elderly women with osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Academic of Community Health Nursing. 2014;25(3):207-216. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.3.207 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.3.207
- Ko YJ, Hyun MY. Effects of laughter therapy on pain, depression, and quality of life of elderly people with osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Academic Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2013;22(4):359-367. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.4.359
- Seo HL, Jung YK, Kim HN. The effects of physical diseases on elderly depression and moderate effects of the self-care performance. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2013;61:57-83.
- Park EO. Effects of visiting laughter therapy on depression and insomnia among the vulnerable elderly. Journal of Korean Academic of Community Health Nursing. 2013;24(2):205-213. http://dx.doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.2.205 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.2.205
- Feinsilver SH. Sleep in the elderly: What is normal. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2003;19(1):177-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0690(02)00064-2
- Choi YH, Shin KR, Kim OS, Ko SH, Kong ES, Kim GH et al. Geriatric Nursing & Health. 5th. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa; 2014. p.352-373.
- Bennet M. P, Lengacher C. A. Humor and Laughter may influence health. IV. Humor and immune function. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2008;6(2):159-164.
- Kim YS, Jun SS. The influence of one-time laughter therapy on stress response in the elderly. Journal of Korean Academic Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2009;18(3):269-277.
- Zweyer K, Velker B, & Ruch W. Do cheerfulness, exhilaration, and humor production moderate pain tolerance A FACS study. International Journal of Humor Research. 2004;17:85-119.
- Shin HS, Rhy KH, Song YA. Effects of laughter therapy on postpartum fatigue and stress responsers of postpartum women. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing. 2011;41(3):294-301. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.3.294
- Han HJ, Park A, Kim HS, Moon HK, Park YH. The effects of laughter therapy on stress responses in patients with preoperative breast cancer. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. 2011;11(2):93-100. https://doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2011.11.2.93
- Jung IK, Kwak DI, Joe SH, Lee HS. A study of standardization of korean from of geriatric depression scale (KGDS). Journal of Korean Geriatric Psychiatry. 1997;1(1):61-72.
- Bae SC, Lee HS, Yun HR, Kim TH, Yoo DH, Kim SY. Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of Korean Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) and lequesne osteoarthritis indices for clinical research. osteoarthritis and cartilage. Journal of Rheumatology. 2001;9(8):746-750.
- Yasavage JA, Brink TL, Rose TL, Lum O, Huanf V, Adey M, et al. Development and validation of a geriatric depression screening scale: A preliminary report. Journal of Psychiatric Research. 1982-1983;17(1):37-49.
- Oh JJ, Song MS, Kim SM. Development and validation of korean sleep scale A. Journal of Korean Academic Nursing. 1998;28(3):563-572.
- Cline ME, Herman J, Shaw ER, Morter RD. Standardization of the visual analogue scale. Nursing Research. 1992;41(6):378-380. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199211000-00013 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-199211000-00013
- Lee KI, Eun Y. Effects of laughter therapy on pain, depression and sleep with elderly patients in long term care facility. Journal of Korean Muscle Joint Health. 2011;18(1):28-38. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.1.028
- You ES, Choi YH. The effects of laughter therapy on pain and anxiety among patients with postmastectomy. Journal of East-West Nursing Research. 2012;18(1):47-52.
- Kim MH, Kim MJ. Effects of laughter therapy on recovery status from facial paralysis, pain and stress in bell's palsy patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2014;20(2):211-222.
- Kim SH, Kim YH, Kim HJ, Lee SH, Yu SO. The effects of laughter therapy on depression, anxiety and stress in patients with breast cancer undergoing radiotherapy. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. 2009;9(2):155-162.
- Seo SY, Chang SY. Effects of laughter therapy on sleep, depression and self-esteem of elderly women in senior home. Community society research. 2011;19(4):21-25.
- Takeda M, Hashimoto M, Kudo T, Okochi T, Tagami S, Morihara T et al. Laughter and humor as complementary alternative medicines for dementia patients. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2010;10(28):2-7. http://dx,doi:10.1186/1472-6882-10-28 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-10-28
- Lim EJ. The effects of laughter therapy on blood glucose, stress, depression, and quality of life among older adults with diabetes mellitus. [dissertation]. Daejeonl: Daejeon University; 2014. p. 1-84.
- Lee DY, Nam A. The effects of laughter therapy on geriatric depression, quality of life and physiologic change of depressive elderly women. Korea Society for Wellness. 2014;9(3):163-174.
- Jung HW, Youn CH, Cho NR, Lee MK, Lee JB. The effects of laughter therapy on sleep in the community-dwelling elderly. Korean Journal of Family Medical. 2009;30:511-518. http://dx.doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.7.511 https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.7.511
- Lee JS, Kim KS, Kim MY, Oh SM, Oh SH, Lee HS. The effects of laughter therapy on sleep and depression with hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2006;9:107-150.
- 1. An experience in the laughter therapy by elderly of senior citizen's center vol.17, pp.12, 2016, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.2.123
- 2. The Level of Pain, Gait Speed, and ROM in Community-dwelling Older Adults with Knee Joint Pain vol.28, pp.2, 2017, doi:10.7586/jkbns.2015.17.2.123