- Volume 17 Issue 2
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to verify the correlation analysis between fluid intake on skin hydration and pH of college students. Methods: The subjects were 129 female nursing students in D city. Data were collected by a self-administered questionnaire, using a skin moisture checker and skin pH meter on faces, hands, and feet. The collected data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, and Pearson correlation analysis, using SPSS WIN, 20. Results: The daily fluid intake was composed of 57% pure water, 21% caffeinated beverages, 22% non-caffeinated beverages. There were significant differences in average skin hydration on the three body parts according to pure water, caffeinated beverages, and non-caffeinated beverages; however, there was no significant difference measured by fluid intake. There was a significant positive correlation between fluid intake and skin hydration: between pure water and skin hydration. There was significant negative correlation between caffeinated beverages and skin hydration: between non-caffeinated beverages and skin hydration. Conclusion: The results suggest that fluid intake, pure water, caffeinated beverages, and non-caffeinated beverages have an effect on skin hydration and pH. Therefore, it is good to increase the amount of fluid intake but, it is recommended to increase the amount of intake of pure water rather than beverages to improve skin status.
물;음료;피부 수분보유도;피부 pH;간호대학생
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary reference intakes for Korean. 1st ed. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2010. p.135-144.
- Kant AK, Graubard BI, Elizabeth A. Intakes of plain water, moisture in foods and beverages, and total water in the adult US population-nutritional, meal pattern, and body weight correlates: National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 1999-2006. Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2009;90:655-663. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/suppl/2009/08/20/ajcn.2009. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2009.27749
- Coe S, Williams R. Hydration and health. Journal Compilation British Nutrition Foundation Nutrition Bulletin. 2011;36:259-266. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2011.01899.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2011.01899.x
- Guansheng M, Qian Z, Ailing L, Jiaolei Z, Wanfang Z, Shurong Z, et al. Fluid intake of adults in four Chinese cities. Nutrition Reviews. 2012;70(2):105-110. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00520.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00520.x
- Lee SH, Lee SE, An SK, Hong SP, Kim HJ, Lee HK, et al. Skin barrier. 1st ed. Seoul: Ryo Moon Gak; 2010. p.47-128.
- Sandilands A, Sutherland C, Irvine AD, McLean WHI. Filaggrin in the frontlin: role in skin barrier function and disease. Journal of Cell Science. 2009;122:1285-1294. http://dx.doi.org/10.1242/jcs.033969/jcs.2009.122.1285 https://doi.org/10.1242/jcs.033969
- Onselen JV. Supporting children and young people with dry skin conditions. British Journal of School Nursing. 2013;8(10):488-490. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjsn.2013.8.10.488
- Rippke F, Schreiner V, Doering T, Maibach H. Stratum corneum pH in atopic dermatitis impact on skin barrier function and colonization with staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2004;5(4):217-222. https://doi.org/10.2165/00128071-200405040-00002
- Choi EH, Man MQ, Xu P, Xin S, Liu Z, Crumrine DA, et al. Stratum corneum acidification is impaired in moderately aged human and murine skin. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2007;127:2847-2856. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/sj.jid.5700913/jid.2007.127.2847 https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jid.5700913
- Han AK, Won JS, Kim OS. Skin hydration status and skin surface pH according to the body parts of the aged with immobilization. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2010;17(3):314-323.
- Choi EY. Comparision of state of skin surface using skin instrumental measurements. Korean Journal of Aesthetic Society. 2011;4(2):1-10.
- Kim JG, Park BS, Kim JS. Relationships of food habits & life style and skin health of young females. Korean Association of Human Ecology. 2011;20(2):449-465. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.2.449
- Yu SJ, Lee KS, Kim JH, Lim KC, Park JS. Health promotion behavior according to body mass index and self-perception of body weight in female nursing students. Journal of the Korean Society of Biological Nursing Science. 2014;16(1):60-68. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2014.16.1.60 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2014.16.1.60
- Bae KH, Chae SN. The study of correlation between living habits and sebum, moisture and elasticity. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology. 2006;4(2):97-105.
- Seo DH, Park GS, Shin YG. The Dietary Habits and Preference of Foods on Skin Types of Woman College Students. Journal of the Korean Society of Dietary Culture. 2005;20(1):15-20.
- Won JS, Han AK, Lee JS. A study on skin health status and related factors of skin hydration in institutionalized elderly. Journal of Korean Academy of Adult Nursing. 2009;21(6):678-690.
- Rou FR, Park YS. Comparision of determined skin types by different factors of facial skin hydration, sebum content and surface pH levels. Korean Journal of Aesthetic Society. 2013;2(1):67-82.
- Kim HJ. Skin health condition related factors and evaluation index of woman in early. Journal of the Korean Society of Cosmetology. 2005;11(3):210-216.
- Park AL. Analysis of beverages intake condition and related factors of college students in Daegu and Gyeongbuk area [master's thesis]. Daegu: Kyungbook University; 2011. p. 1-77.
- Bahn YH. Development of an android application based skin moisture meter combining product and service [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sungkyunkwan University; 2013. p. 1-79.
- Kim SH. A survey on dietary behaviors and liquid consumptions of university students in kongju of chungnam province in Korea. Journal of the Korean Nutrition Society. 2009;42(4):327-337. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2009.42.4.327
- Serra-Majem L, Ribas-Barbr L, Salvador G, Jover L, Raido B, Ngo J, et al. Trends in energy and nutrient intake and risk of inadequate intakes in Catalonia, Spain (1992-2003). Public Health Nutrition. 2007;10(11A):1354-1367. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1368980007000961 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980007000961
- Lee BI, Kim KM, Kim BM, Kim BM, Kim JU, Lee IH, et al. Caffeine contained beverage intake and sleep quality of university students. Journal of Korean Society School Health. 2014;27(1):31-38. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2014.27.1.031
- Jung MH, Jo YH, Kim MS, Kim HL. Attitude toward Health behavior in student nurse. The Journal of Korean Community Nursing. 2002;13(4):826-835.
- Arya LA, Myers DL, Jactson ND. Dietary caffeine intake and the risk for detrusor instability. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2000;96(1):85-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-7844(00)00808-5
- Kim JH, Yang YJ. Plain water intake of Korean adults: Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 2008-2010 = Plain water intake of Korean adults according to life style, anthropometric and dietary characteristic: the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys 2008-2010. The Journal of Nutrition Research and Practice.2014;8(5):580-588. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.5.580
- Debarati SS. Want younger skin? Say no to sugar. The Times of India (Online). 2014 February 3.
- Ahn SG, Jung CH. Diabetes and skin disease. Diabetes and Metabolism Journal. 2002;3(2):119-126.
- Kim YH. A study on the dietary treatments of atopic dermatitis. Journal of Oriental Medicine. 2005;14(1):1-14.