- Volume 29 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of DC Corona Discharges Caused at the tip of a Needle-shaped Electrode Placed in the Homogeneous Electric Fields
균등전계 중에 놓인 침상 전극의 끝단에서 발생한 직류 코로나방전 특성
Kim, Tae-Ki;Kim, Seung-Min;Lee, Bok-Hee
- Received : 2015.08.24
- Accepted : 2015.09.16
- Published : 2015.11.30
In the measurement of atmospheric static electric field, it is important to know characteristics of corona discharges caused at the tip of test electrode. This paper presents the fundamental data of DC corona discharges that occurred at the tip of a needle-shaped electrode placed in the homogeneous background electric field which simulates the atmospheric static field under thundercloud. The major characteristics of interest for this purpose are the polarity effect of corona discharges and the magnitudes and time intervals of corona current pulses. The experimental set-up consists of the plate-to-plate configuration with a needle-shaped protrusion, DC power supply, and voltage and current measuring devices. As a result of experiments, the polarity dependence of corona pulses is significantly pronounced. The time intervals between successive corona pulses in the negative polarity is much longer than those in the positive polarity. The time intervals for both polarities is drastically decreased as the applied electric field is increased. Also the magnitudes of the positive corona pulses are slightly changed with an increase in applied electric field, but those of the negative corona pulses are linearly increased with increasing the applied electric fields.
Corona Discharge;DC Corona Current Pulse;Polarity Effect;Atmospheric Static Field Time Interval Between Corona Pulse
- Tae-ki Kim, Seung-Min Kim, Seung-Jun Park, Bok-Hee Lee, "A Fundamental Study on the DC Corona Discharges Caused at the Tip of Needle-shaped Electrode". Proc. KIIEE Spring Annual Conference 2015. pp.169, 2015.
- Hasegawa Kenizi, Ono Iwao, "The Development of Point Corona Electrode Device for Electric Field Evaluation", The Study Committee of IEEJ, ED-93-150, HV-93-58, pp. 125-132 , 1993.
- Hasegawa Kenizi, Ono Iwao, "Electric Field Characteristics of Improved Point Corona Electrode Device for Electric Field and outdoor Actual Measurement", The Study Committee of IEEJ, ED-94-142, HV-94-72, pp. 7-14, 1994.
- M. A. Uman, "The Lightning Duscharge, Dover Publications", Inc., New York, pp. 345-351. 2001.
- R. A. Rakov and M. A. Uman, Lightning-Physics and Effects, Cambridge University Press, New York, pp. 555-558, 2003.
- Chi-Youn Cho, Bok-Hee Lee, Seung-Min Kim, Hee-Kyung Shin, "A basic study on the sensor system for detecting the electric fields of the atmosphere", Proc. KIIEE Autumn Annual Conference 2014 , pp.122, 2014.
- K. A. Nicoll and R.G. Harrison, "A lightweight balloon-carried cloud charge sensor", Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol.80, 04501-1-4, 2009.
- Koumura Tatuo, "Instrumentation Method of Atmosphere Electric Field", Joint Convention of the Institutes of Electrical and related Engineers., pp. 22-25, 1984.
- E. Kuffel, W.S. Zaengl, J. Kuffel, High Voltage Engineering- Fundamentals, 2nd Ed., Newnes, Oxford, pp. 348-359. 2000.
- M. A. Uman, Lightning, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, pp. 66-67, 1984.
- Kitakawa Siniti, "Design Code of Combined Storm Tracer and Operation Situation by actual Thundercloud", The Study Committee of IEEJ, ED-91-142, HV-91-59, pp. 165-174, 1991.
- Bok-Hee Lee, Hyeong-Joon Kil, Ju-Hong Eom, Chang-Hwan Ahn, "Characteristics of Ionic Wind in a DC Corona Discharge in Needle-to-punched plate Geometry", Journal of KIIEE, Vol.17. No 4, pp. 74-80, 2003.
- Bok-Hee Lee, "High Voltage and High Current Engineering", Cheong Moon Gak, pp.10-12, 53-64. 2008.
- Tageda Ssmu, "A base of Gas Discharge", Dong Myeong Publishers, pp. 57-63, 1978.
- M. Abdel-Salam, H. Anis, A. El-Morshedy, and R. Radwan, High-Voltage Engineering - Theory and Practice, 2nd Ed. Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp. 148-161, 2000.