- Volume 29 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on Detection of High Impedance Fault in Low Voltage DC Distribution System using Filter based on Mathematical Morphology
수학적 형태학 기반의 필터를 이용한 저압직류 배전계통의 고저항 지락고장 검출에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.08.24
- Accepted : 2015.10.15
- Published : 2015.11.30
As a solution of improving the energy efficiency in power system, Low Voltage DC (LVDC) distribution systems different from conventional ones have been constantly researched. As in conventional AC distribution system, LVDC distribution system can suffer from High Impedance Fault (HIF) which may cause a failure of protective relay due to relatively low change in magnitude of fault current. In order to solve the problem, a scheme for detecting HIFs is presented in this paper. Closing Opening Difference Operation (CODO) based on Mathematical Morphology (MM), one of the MM-based filters, is utilized to make fault signals discriminable. To verify performance of the scheme, a simple LVDC distribution system is modeled by using ElectroMagnetic Transient Program (EMTP) software. Computer simulations according to various conditions are performed and comparison studies with a scheme using Wavelet Transform (WT) in an aspect of simulation time are also conducted.
EMTP;High Impedance Fault;LVDC Distribution System;Mathematical Morphology
- D. Salomonsson and A. Sannino, "Low-voltage dc distribution system for commercial power systems with sensitive lectronic loads," IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, vol. 22, no.3, pp. 1620-1627, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.883024
- D. Nilsson and A. Sannino, "Efficiency analysis of lowand medium-voltage dc distribution systems," IEEE PES General Meeting, 2004.
- Detection of High Impedance Faults, Power Technologies Inc., EPRI Report EL-2413, Jun. 1982.
- C. H. Kim et al., "A Novel Fault-Detection Technique of High-Impedance Arcing Faults in Transmission Lines using the Wavelet Transform", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 921-929, Oct., 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.803780
- Hyun Kim, Chul-Hwan Kim, "High Impedance Fault Detection using Wavelet Transform", vol. 48A, no. 12, pp. 1492-1497, Dec., 1999.
- New Insight into the Detection of High-Impedance Arcing Faults on DC Trolley Systems, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol 35, no. 5, September, 1999.
- Y. S. Oh et al., "Development of an Algorithm for Detecting High Impedance Fault in Low Voltage DC Distribution System using Accumulated Energy of Fault Current", Journal of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers, vol. 29, no. 5, pp.71-79, May, 2015.
- Wu, Q. H. et al., "Protective Relaying of Power Systems Using Mathematical Morphology", Springer, 2009.
- Suresh Gautam et al., "Detection of High Impedance Fault in Power Distribution Systems using Mathematical Morphology", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 1226-1234, May, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2215630
- Suresh Gautam, et al., "Guidelines for Selection of an Optimal Structuring Element for Mathematical Morphology based Tools to Detect Power System Disturbances," in Proc. IEEEPower&EnergySocietyGeneralMeeting, 2012, July, pp.1-6.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)