- Volume 10 Issue 3
Complementary Power Control of the Bipolar-type Low Voltage DC Distribution System
DOI QR Code
Byeon, Gilsung;Hwang, Chul-Sang;Jeon, Jin-Hong;Kim, Seul-Ki;Kim, Jong-Yul;Kim, Kisuk;Ko, Bokyung;Kim, Eung-Sang
- 투고 : 2014.10.07
- 심사 : 2014.11.17
- 발행 : 2015.05.01
In this paper, a new power control strategy for the bipolar-type low voltage direct current (LVDC) distribution system is being proposed. The dc distribution system is considered as an innovative system according to the increase of dc loads and dc output type distribution energy resources (DERs) such as photovoltaic (PV) systems and energy storage systems (ESS). Since the dc distribution system has many advantages such as feasible connection of DERs, reduction of conversion losses between dc output sources and loads, no reactive power issues, it is very suitable solution for new type buildings and residences interfaced with DERs and ESSs. In the bipolar-type, if it has each grid-interfaced converter, both sides (upper, lower-side) can be operated individually or collectively. A complementary power control strategy using two ESSs in both sides for effective and reliable operation is proposed in this paper. Detailed power control methods of the host controller and local controllers are described. To verify the performances of the proposed control strategy, simulation analysis using PSCAD/EMTDC is being performed where the results show that the proposed strategy provides efficient operations and can be applied to the bipolar-type dc distribution system.
DC distribution system;DC microgrid;DC power control;Energy storage system;Bipolar type;PSCAD/EMTDC
- S. K. Kim, J. H. Jeon, C. Cho, J. B. Ahn, and S. H. Kwon, "Dynamic Modeling and Control of a Grid-Connected Hybrid Generation System With Versatile Power Transfer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 1677-1688, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907662
- Navigant Research, “Direct Current Distribution Networks; Remote and Grid-Tied Systems for Data Center Microgrids, Telecom/Village Power, Commercial Buildings, and Military Applications: Global Market Analysis and Forecasts”, 2013.
- K. Fleischer and R. S. Munnings, "Power systems analysis for direct current (DC) distribution systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 982-989, Sep./Oct. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.536855
- M. Baran and N. R. Mahajan, "DC distribution for industrial systems: Opportunities and challenges," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 1596-1601, Nov./Dec. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.818969
- H. Kakigano, Y. Miura, and T. Ise, "Low-voltage bipolar-type DC microgrid for super high quality distribution," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, no. 12, pp. 3066-3075, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2077682
- H. Valderrama-Blavi, J. M. Bosque, F. Guinjoan, L. Marroyo, and L. Martinez-Salamero, "Power adaptor device for domestic dc microgrids based on commercial mppt inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1191-1203, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2198038
- K. Sun, L. Zhang, Y. Xing, and J. Guerrero, "A distributed control strategy based on DC bus signaling for modular photovoltaic generation systems with battery energy storage," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 3032-3045, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2127488
- H. Zhou, T. Bhattacharya, D. Tran, T. S. T. Siew, and A. M. Khambadkone, "Composite energy storage system involving battery and ultracapacitor with dynamic energy management in microgrid applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 923-930, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2095040
- L. Xu and D. Chen, "Control and Operation of a DC Microgrid With Variable Generation and Energy Storage", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 2513-2522, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2158456
- G. Byeon, T. Yoon, S. Oh and G. Jang, "Energy Management Strategy of the DC Distribution System in Buildings Using the EV Service Model," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1544-1554, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2210911
- T. F. Wu, C. H. Chang, L. C. Lin, G. R. Yu and Y. R. Chang, "DC-Bus Voltage Control With a Three-Phase Bidirectional Inverter for DC Distribution Systems", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1890-1899, Apr. 2013.
- N. L. Diaz, T. Dragicevic, J. C. Vasqeuz and J. M. Guerrero, "Intelligent Distributed Generation and Storage Units for DC Microgrids — A New Concept on Cooperative Control Without Communications Beyond Droop Control," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 2476-2485, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2341740
- T. Kaipia, P. Salonen, J. Lassila, and J. Partanen, "Possibilities of the low voltage DC distribution systems," In Proc. of NORDAC 2006 Conf., Stockholm, Sweden, August 2006.
- R. F. Bastos, C. R. Aguiar, A. F. Q. Goncalves and R. Q. Machado, "An Intelligent Control System Used to Improve Energy Production From Alternative Sources With DC/DC Integration," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 2486-2495, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2309491
- A. Maknouninejad, Z. Qu, L. Lewis and A. Davoudi, "Optimal, Nonlinear, and Distributed Designs of Droop Controls for DC Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 2508-2516, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2325855
- A. Sannino, G. Postiglione, and M. H. J. Bollen, "Feasibility of a DC network for commercial facilities," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 1499-1507, Sep./Oct. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.816517
- H. Koizumi et al., "A novel microcontroller for grid-connected photovoltaic systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1889-1897, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.885526
- E. Roman et al., "Intelligent PV module for grid-connected PV systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 4, pp. 1066-1073, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.878327
- M. Park and I.-K. Yu, "A novel real-time simulation technique of photovoltaic generation systems using RTDS," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 164-169, Mar. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.821837
- A. Miller, E. Muljadi, and D. Zinger, "A variable speed wind turbine power control," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 181-186, Jun. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.629701
- S.-K. Kim and E.-S. Kim, "PSCAD/EMTDC based modeling and analysis of a gearless variable speed wind turbine," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 421-430, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.858063
- G. Kim, J. Kim, S. Kim, E. Kim, J. Lee, M. Park and I. Yu, "Hardware-in-the-loop Simulation Method for a Wind Farm Controller Using Real Time Digital Simulator," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 1489-1494, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1489
- K.-H. Cho, S.-K. Kim and E.-S. Kim, "Optimal capacity determination method of battery energy storage system for demand management of electricity customer," The Tran. of Korea Institute of Electrical Engineers, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 21-28, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2012.62.1.021
- M. Rastegar, M. F. Firuzabad and J. Choi. "Investigating the Impacts of Different Price-Based Demand Response Programs on Home Load Management," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 742-748, May. 2014.
- 1. Development of fault section identification technique for low voltage DC distribution systems by using capacitive discharge current 2018, doi:10.5370/JEET.2015.10.3.786