- Volume 34 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of STEAM Lessons Using Scratch Programming Regarding Small Organisms in Elementary Science-Gifted Education
스크래치 프로그래밍을 활용한 '작은 생물' STEAM 수업이 초등과학 영재에게 미치는 효과
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.05.05
- Published : 2015.05.31
본 연구의 목적은 스크래치 프로그래밍을 활용한 초등과학 '작은 생물' STEAM 수업을 개발하고 적용하여, 초등 영재학생의 창의적 인성, 창의적 문제해결력, 과학적 태도의 향상에 어떠한 영향을 미치는지 알아보고자 하였다. 개발한 STEAM 수업은 과학 지식과 스크래치 프로그래밍을 통합한 내용적 융합의 방법을 통해 학습자가 창의적 설계와 감성적 체험을 효과적으로 경험할 수 있도록 설계되었다. 연구 대상은 26명의 초등과학 영재학생들이었으며, 양적 및 질적 접근을 통해 자료를 수집하였다. 7차시의 수업을 적용한 결과, 개발한 STEAM 수업이 창의적 인성 및 과학적 태도에 효과가 있었다. 창의적 인성 하위 요소 중, 독립성에서 효과가 있었으며, 과학적 태도 측면에서는 자발성 및 인내심에서 유의한 상승을 보였다. 본 연구는 생명 과학 및 컴퓨터 프로그래밍처럼 STEAM 수업을 위한 효과적인 수단을 통합하는 일이 과학 기술에 대한 학생들의 창의성과 흥미를 신장시킬 수 있음을 제안한다.
- Ahn, K., Sohn, W. & Choy, Y. (2011). The effect of Scratch programming education on learning-flow and programming ability for elementary students. Journal of the Korean Association of Information Education, 15(1), 1-10.
- Basham, J. D. & Marino, M. T. (2013). Understanding STEM education and supporting students through universal design for learning. Teaching Exceptional Children, 45(4), 8-15. https://doi.org/10.1177/004005991304500401
- Beghetoo, R. (2009). Correlates of intellectual risk taking in elementary school science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 46(2), 210-223. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20270
- Brown, J. (2012). The current status of STEM education research. Journal of STEM Education Innovations Research, 13(5), 7-11.
- Byrne, J. (2011). Models of Micro-Organisms: Children's knowledge and understanding of micro-organisms from 7 to 14 years old. International Journal of Science Education, 33(14), 1927-1961. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500693.2010.536999
- Cho, H., Lee, S., Song, W., Lee, J., Jang, Y., Seo, J., Hong, S., Hong, S., Park, B., Yoon, M., Kim, E., Choi, Y., Shin, J., Park, S., Park, J., Won, B. & Jung, J. (2011). Discovering and analysis key challenges for strategies of national development science and technology lead. Science and Technology Policy Institute, Policy Data, 2011-01, 10-21.
- Cho, S., Song, J., Kim, S. & Paik, S. (2008). The effect of a programming class using Scratch. Journal of the Korean Association of Information Education, 12(4), 375-384.
- Choi, D., Choi, K., Nam, C., Kim, J., Kim, S., Song, P., Han, G. & Han, H. (2000). An analysis of the instructional state of the unit 'Small living things' in the elementary school science. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 19(1), 157-170.
- Choi, Y. & Hong, S. (2013). The development and application effects of STEAM program about 'World of small organisms' unit in elementary science. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(3), 361-377.
- Cunningham, C. M. (2009). Engineering is elementary. The Bridge, 30(3), 11-17.
- Decey, J. S., Lennon, K. & Fiore, L. B. (1998). Understanding creativity: The interplay of biological, psychological, and social factors. CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Greene, J., DeStefano, L., Burgon, H. & Hall, J. (2006). An educative, values-engaged approach to evaluating STEM educational programs. New Directions for Evaluation, 109, 53-71.
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association [ITEEA] (2011). Engineering by Design (EbD). VA: STEM Center for Teaching and Learning. Retrieved October 28, 2013 from http://www.iteea.org/
- Isaksen, S. G. & Treffinger, D. J. (1985). Creative problem solving: The basic course. NY: Bearly Limited.
- Isaksen, S. G. & Treffinger, D. J. (2004). Celebrating 50 years of reflective practice: Versions of creative problem solving. Journal of Creative Behavior, 38(2), 75-101. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2162-6057.2004.tb01234.x
- Jang, H. & Shin, Y. (2009). Effects of the activity after reading books on science toward creativity. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 28(2), 187-196.
- Jang, J., Chung, Y., Choi, Y. & Kim, S. (2013). Exploring the characteristics of science gifted students' task commitment. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 33(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.1.001
- Jeong, S. & Sohn, J. (2013). Development and application of the STEAM teaching-learning program in "Earth & Moon" unit for science gifted elementary school students. Journal of Science Education, Science Education Research Institute, Kyungpook National University, 37(2), 359-373.
- Jin, Y. & Son, J. (2011). Effects of gifted students' creative problem solving ability by team-based learning. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, 21(3), 703-718. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2011.21.3.703
- Kim, H. & Kang, G. (2007). The relationships between children's science aptitude, creativity, and scientific creative problem solving abilities. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(1), 32-40.
- Kim, H., Chung, W. & Jeong, J. (1998). National assessment system development of science-related affective domain. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 18(3), 357-369.
- Kim, Y. & Son, J. (2012). Effects of Goldberg device learning program on creative personality of the primary gifted students. Journal of Gifted/Talented Education, 22(2), 451-465. https://doi.org/10.9722/JGTE.2012.22.2.451
- Kwon, N. & Ahn, J. (2012). The analysis on domestic research trends for convergence and integrated science education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(2), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.2.265
- Kwon, S., Nam., D. & Lee, T. (2012). The effects of STEAM-based integrated subject study on elementary school students' creative personality. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, 17(2), 79-86. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2012.17.2.079
- Lee, C., Kim, K., Kim, J., Huh, H. & Kim, K. (2013). The development and application of elementary school STEAM program utilizing Scratch program. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 19(1), 189-207. https://doi.org/10.17055/jpaer.2013.19.1.189
- Lee, E. & Lee, Y. (2008). The effects of Scratch based programming education on middle school students' flow level and programming achievement. Secondary Institute of Education, 56(2), 359-382.
- Lee, H., Kwon, H., Kim, M., Kim, Y., Nam, J., Park, K., Park, B., Seo, B., Son, D., Oh, Y., Oh, H., Lee, S., Lee, Y., Jeon, J., Jung, H., Jo, H. & Han, I. (2013). Understanding and implementation of scientific inquiry and creative design-based STEM/STEAM education. Seoul: Bookshill.
- Lee, J. & Han, K. (2008). The web based elementary science discovery learning system. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information, 12(1), 89-97.
- Lee, S. & Lee, H. (2013). The effects of science lesson applying STEAM education on the creativity and science related attitudes of elementary school students. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(1), 60-70.
- Lee, Y. & Kim, Y. (2012). The effects of the creative thinking and creative personality using the 'Weather and our life' on science-based STEAM. Journal of the Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 5(2), 204-212.
- Lim, G. & Jeong, W. (2004). A study on the development of web-based STS instruction model of the scientifically gifted students - Centered on Biology Education -. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 24(5), 851-868.
- Lim, J. (2012). The effect of using Scratch on learning accomplishment in class: Based on the chapter from 'The seasonal change' in the science textbook. Daegu National University of Education.
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology [MEST, Korea] (2011). Report of STEAM Education Accomplishments. 2011' Presentation Sourcebook of STEAM Education Accomplishments. 10-25.
- National Center for Technology Literacy [NCTL] (2009). The Engineering is Elementary (EiE). MA: The Museum of Science. Retrieved October 28, 2013 from http://www.mos.org/eie/
- Noh, T., Yeo, K. & Jeon, K. (1999). Instructional effect of cooperative learning in problem solving strategy. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 19(4), 635-644.
- Park, H., Kim, Y., Noh, S., Lee, J., Jeong, J., Choi, Y., Han, H. & Baek, Y. (2012). Components of 4C-STEAM education and a checklist for the instructional design. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 12(4), 533-557.
- Park, S. & Lew, K. (2011). The relationships among self-esteem, creative personality, and creative thinking. Korean Society for Creativity Education, 11(2), 127-140.
- Rhodes, M. (1961). An analysis of creativity. The Phi Delta Kappan, 42(7), 305-310.
- Romero, J. S. (2010). Library programming with LEGO MIND STORMS, Scratch and PicoCricket: Analysis of best practices for public libraries. Computers in Libraries, 30(1), 16-45.
- Ryu, C. & Lee, C. (2012). Effects that Scratch programming has on creative problem-solving for gifted elementary students. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education, 25(1), 149-169.
- Schiever, S. W. (1985). Creative personality characteristics and dimensions of mental functioning in gifted adolescents. Roeper Review, 7(4), 223-226. https://doi.org/10.1080/02783198509552901
- Selby, E. C., Shaw, E. J. & Houtz, J. C. (2005). The creative personality. Gifted Child Quarterly, 49(4), 300-314. https://doi.org/10.1177/001698620504900404
- Shin, S. & Park, P. (2011). A study on teaching and learning for math education at elementary school with Scratch programming. The Korean Association of Information Education Research Journal, 2(1) 7-13.
- Shosha, G. A. (2014). Employment of Colaizzi's strategy in descriptive phenomenology: A reflection of a researcher. European Scientific Journal, 8(27), 31-43.
- Son, J. (2009). The study of scientifically gifted students' scientific thinking and creative problem solving ability through science writing. Science Gifted Education, 1(3), 21-33.
- Song, J., Cho, S. & Lee, T.(2008). The effect of learning Scratch programming on students' motivation and problem solving ability. Journal of the Korean Association of Information Education, 12(3), 323-332.
- Treffinger, D. J. (1995). Creative problem solving: Overview and educational implications. Educational Psychology Review, 7(3), 301-312. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02213375
- Urban, K. K. (1995). Different models in describing, exploring, explaining and nurturing creativity in society. European Journal of High Ability, 6(2), 143-159. https://doi.org/10.1080/0937445940060243
- Yang, K. (2010). The effect of Scratch on learning motivation and academic achievement for programming education. Journal of the Korean Association of Information Education, 14(4), 547-553.
- Yoo, K., Han, Y. & Hah, J. (2011). A development and a validation of the KEDI (Korean Educational Development Institute) creative personality scale. Asian Journal of Education, 12(4), 217-247. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2011.12.4.010
- Yoon, Y., Kim, J. & Kim, T. (2009). The academic effects of integrated topic instruction using the Scratch program in high school students' programming classes. Korean Journal of Teacher Education, 25(3), 167-182.
- Zollman, A. (2012). Learning for STEM literacy: STEM literacy for learning. School Science and Mathematics, 112(1), 12-19. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.2012.00101.x