- Volume 31 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Steven Holl's Approaches and Planning Characteristics Based on Urban Porosity in the Multi Complexes
스티븐 홀의 복합 프로젝트에 나타난 도시 다공성(多孔性:porosity) 접근 방식과 계획적 특성
- Kim, Soomi
- Received : 2015.02.05
- Accepted : 2015.05.12
- Published : 2015.05.30
In the recent complex projects of Steven Holl, it tends to appear that phenomenological approaches in Holl's architecture are extended to the urban scale and urban porosity has been represented. This could be led by long period's experiments about porosity and architectural application of Menger's Sponge theory. Along with this, multi complex projects in Steven Holl's architecture were successfully accomplished representing various characteristics of urban porosity. Therefore, this study aims to find out Steven Holl's approaches and planning characteristics based on urban porosity and with this, to review architectural and urban values. The results are as follows. Firstly, in the formal approaches, they showed that typological analysis referenced from the city with variously presenting urban porosity. Secondly, in the connecting way among the masses, connecting bridges with porosity were represented. Thirdly, phenomenological spaces were converged to the realm of urban environmental publicity connecting with the urban environmental issues.
Multi Complex Projects;Phenomenology;Urbanism;Pore Relationships;Displacement Space and Multi Layer;Urban Porosity;Spatial Porosity;Environmental Porosity;Urban Publicity and Regeneration
- Avermaete, T., Havik, K., & Teerds, H.(Ed.) (2011). Architectural positions : architecture, modernity, and the public sphere, Translated by Kwon. Y., Spacetime.
- Garofalo, F. (2003). Steven Holl, Universe.
- Holl, S. (1989). Anchoring, Princeton Architectural Press.
- Holl, S. (1994). Pallasmaa, Juhani, Perez-Gomez, Alberto, Questions of Perception: Phenomenology of Architecture, William Stout Publishers.
- Holl, S. (1998). Interwining, Princeton Architectural Press.
- Holl, S. (2000). Parallax, Princeton Architectural Press.
- Holl, S. (2012). Steven Holl Architectural Spoken, Translated by Lee, W., Mimesis.
- Jang, H. & Park. C. (2013). A Study on the Characteristics and Expansion Methods of Phenomenal light In Steven Holl's Architecture, Journal of the Korean Institute of Interior Design, 22 (1), 143-153. https://doi.org/10.14774/JKIID.2013.22.1.143
- Jung, J. (2009), Steven Holl, CA Press.
- Kim, J. & Jung. T. (2013). A Study on the Steven Holl's Phenomenological Approach in Architecture, Architecture, Journal of the Korean Institute of Interior Design, 22(5), 88-95.
- Characteristics of Urban Sustainability in the Cases of Multi Commercial Complexes from the Perspective of the “Ground” vol.8, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/su8050439