- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of High Temperature High Pressure Steam Sterilization on Woohwangchungsimwon
고온고압증기멸균이 우황청심원에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2014.11.11
- Accepted : 2014.12.10
- Published : 2015.02.28
Objectives To check marker content for appropriate quality control of Woohwangchungsimwon sterilized to ensure microbiological safety and to observe antioxidant activity for any changes in efficacy. Methods To measure any effects of sterilization on the effective compounds, 8 ingredients of Woohwangchungsimwon were screened for any changes in marker content using HPLC-DAD. Using the colorimetric method on the microplate reader any changes in total phenolic compound and flavonoid levels were observed. Antioxidant activity was measured using the DPPH, ABTS, and FRAP. Results Of the ingredients of Woohwangchungsimwon, 8 were subject to quantitative analysis before and after sterilization. 21.6 mg and 1.93 mg of Glycyrrhizin was found in Glycyrrhiza uralensis Fischer pre and post sterilization, respectively. Decursin found in Angelica gigas Nakai increased from 0.16 mg to 0.29 mg after sterilization. Bilirubin found in Gallstone of Bostaurusvar. domesticus increased from 0.24 mg to 0.33 mg. Cinnamic acid found in Cinnamomum cassia Blume increased from 0.02 mg to 0.05 mg. Ginsenoside Rb1 found in Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer decreased from 0.02 mg to 0.14 mg. Paeoniflorin found in Paeonia lactiflora Pallas increased from 1.05 mg to 1.13 mg. Amygdalin found in Armeniacae Amarum Semen increased from 2.68 mg to 2.83 mg. L-muscone found in Musk increased from 0.63 mg to 0.76 mg. As for total phenolic compound and total flavonoid content, there was a 1.22 and 4.15-fold increase. DPPH and ABTS increased by 20.45% and 20.69%, respectively. FRAP activity was 2.78 times more active post stabilization. Conclusions This study confirmed that high temperature high pressure steam sterilization, a method used to ensure microbiological safety of Woohwangchungsimwon, does not affect marker content; in other words, does not affect quality of the Woohwangchungsimwon. It could also be seen that total phenolic compound and flavonoid content increased after sterilization. An antioxidant activity test showed that there was significantly increased activity of antioxidants.
- 陳師文 등, 太平惠民和劑局方, 旋風出版社, 1987:81.
- 김영석, 중풍(뇌졸중):중풍학술대회논문집, 1995;1-56.
- Choi CM, Sun JJ, Kim SM, Jung JH, Lee SY, Choi WW, Hong JW, Park SW, Jung WS, Moon SK, Park JM, Ko CN, Cho KH, Kim YS, Bae HS, The Effect of Uhwangchungsimwon on Heart Rats Variability of Healthy Subjects, Korean J. Orient.Int. Med, 2007;28(4):717-26.
- Hwang SR, Jeong SH, Shin GC, Lee WC, The Effect of Woohwangcheongsim-won on Circulatory Disturbance in Diabetes, Korean Journal of Oriental Medicine, 2002;23(2):164-79.
- 남상경, 牛黃淸心元과 蘇合香元의 效能에 關한 硏究, 경희대학교, 1990.
- 안일회, 문병순, 김세길, 신민교. 原方牛黃淸心元 현탁액(SU-3)에 대한 임상시험 보고. 최신의학. 대한본초학회지, 1990;33(2):109-16.
- 식품의약품안전청, 대한약전 및 대한약전외 한약(생약) 규격집, 서울.
- Lee JH, Jeon WK, Ko BS, Chun JM, Lee AY, Kim HK, A monitoring for the establishment of microbial limit of herbal medicin(1), Korean Journal of Oriental Medicine, 2006;12(1):49-57.
- Jeong CS, Cho SY, Lee YS, Effect of Sterilizing Methods on the Content of Index Constituents of Herbal Medicines, Archives of Pharmacal Research, 2006;50(6):415-20.
- Lee YS, Shin WS, Cho SY, Ze KR, Lee HM, Jeong CS. Effects of Sterilization for Quality Control on the Content of Paeonol in Moutan Radicies Bark. Archives of Pharmacal Research. 2005;49(2):180-4.
- Choon Sik Jeong, Effects of Sterilization for Quality Control and Content of baicalin in Scutellariae Radix. Korean Journal of Pharmacognosy, 2005;36(3):220-3.
- 안일회, 김세길, 변방우황청심원(變方牛黃淸心元) 환제(丸劑) 및 현탁액(懸濁液)에 대(對)한 임상적(臨床的) 고찰(考察), 대한한방내과학회지, 1991;12(1):1-18.
- Kwack SJ, Kim HS, Chun SA, Lim SY, Park HS, Hong CY, Han HS, Choi BC, Lee BM, Comparative Acute Toxicity Studies on Woo Whang Chung Shim Won Suspension and Pill in Mice, Korean Journal of Toxicol, 1996;12(2):295-303.
- Cho TS, Lee SM, Lee EB, Cho SL, Kim YK, Shin DH,, Park DK, Pharmacological Actions of New Woohwang-chungsimwon Pill on Cenebral Ischemia and Central Nervous System, Archives of Pharmacal Research, 1997;41(26):817-28.
- Lee JW, Baek KM, Baek YD, Im EY, Chang WS Cheon WH, Chung IK, The Latest Research Trends on Woohwangchungsim-won : A Review in Korean Article, Korean J. Orient. Med, 2010;31(4):775-91.
- S. Martinez, L. Valek, J. Piljac, M. Metikos-Hukovic, Determination of wine antioxidant capacity by derivative potentiometric titration with electrogenerated chlorine, European food research and technology, 2004;220(5-6):658-61.
- Dewanto, V., X. Wu, K.K. Adom, and R.H. Liu, Thermal processing enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing total antioxidative activity, Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 2002;50(10):3010-4. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0115589
- Hui-Jeon Jeon, Hyeon-Son Choi, OK-Hwan Lee, You-Jin Jeon, Boo-Yong Lee, Inhibition of Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) and Nitric Oxide (NO) by Gelidium elegans Using Alternative Drying and Extraction Conditions in 3T3-L1 and RAW 264.7 Cells, Preventive Nutrition and Food Science, 2012;17(2):122-8. https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2012.17.2.122
- Chang, S.-T., Wu, J.-H., Wang, S.-Y., Kang, P.-L., Yang, N.-S., & Shyur, L.-F. Antioxidant activity of extracts from Acaciac on fusa bark and hear twood. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2001;49:3420-4. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0100907
- Arnao. Marino B, Cano. Antonio, Acosta. Manuel, The hydrophilic and lipophilic contribution to total antioxidant activity, Food Chemistry, 2001;73(2):,239-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00324-1
- Benzie. I.F.F., Strain. J.J., The ferric reducing ability of plasma(FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Analytical Biochemistry, 1996;239(1):70-6. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Benzie, I.F.F., Strain, J.J., Ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay: direct measure of total antioxidant activity of biological fluids and modified version for simultaneous measurement of total antioxidant power and ascorbic acid concentration, Methods in Enzymology, 1999;299(1):15-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(99)99005-5
- 이주현, 전원경, 고병섭, 천진미, 이아영, 김호경. 한약재의 미생물허용한도 설정을 위한 모니터링. 한국한의학연구원 논문집. 2006;12(1):49-57.
- Hye-Ryun Lee, Bo-RA Jung, Joo-Young Park, In-Wook Hwang, Suk-Kyung Kim, Jong-Uck Choi, Sang-Han Lee, Shin-Kyo Chung, Antioxidant Activity and Total Phenolic Contents of Grape Juice Products in the Korean Market, Korean Journal Food Preserv, 2008;15(3):445-9.
- Meenakshi. Selvaraju, Umayaparvathi. Shanmugam, Arumugam. Muthuvel. Balasubramanian. Thangavel, In vitro antioxidant properties and FTIR analysis of two seaweeds of Gulf of Mannar, Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 2012; 1(1):66-70.
Supported by : Jaseng Medical Foundation