- Volume 55 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A case of malignant dysgerminoma in a slaughtered dairy cow
도축 젖소에서 발생한 악성 난소생식세포종 증례보고
- Jung, Ji-Youl (Division of Animal Disease Diagnosis, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Her, Ji-Woong (Division of Animal Disease Diagnosis, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Jeong, Yea-Ji (Division of Animal Disease Diagnosis, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Ku, Kyung-Nyer (Gyeonggi-do Veterinary Service) ;
- Choi, Kwon-Rac (Gyeonggi-do Veterinary Service) ;
- So, Byung-Jae (Division of Animal Disease Diagnosis, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency) ;
- Yoon, Soon-Seek (Division of Animal Disease Diagnosis, Animal and Plant Quarantine Agency)
- 정지열 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 허지웅 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 정예지 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 구경녀 (경기도 축산위생연구소) ;
- 최권락 (경기도 축산위생연구소) ;
- 소병재 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과) ;
- 윤순식 (농림축산검역본부 질병진단과)
- Received : 2015.03.17
- Accepted : 2015.05.11
- Published : 2015.06.30
An abnormally enlarged right ovary and a mass in fat surrounding the right kidney were discovered in a dairy cow during routine postmortem examination at slaughter. The ovary was dark reddish and multinodular in shape. Numerous cystic structures were identified in the mass. Histopathologically, the ovary was completely replaced with large, uniform, polyhedral neoplastic cells containing vesicular nuclei and prominent nucleoli. The mitotic index was high. In the lymphatic vessels, tumor emboli were observed. Another mass in the fat surranding the right kidney had the same histological features as the ovarian mass. This animal was diagnosed with malignant dysgerminoma and metastasis to other peritoneal organs.
Supported by : 농림축산식품부
- Kennedy PC, Cullen JM, Edwards JF, Goldschmidt MH, Larsen S, Munson L, Nielsen S. Tumors of the ovary. In: Kennedy PD, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (US) (eds.) Histological Classification of Tumors of the Genital System of Domestic Animals. 2nd ed. pp. 25-26, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C., 1998.
- MacLachlan NJ, Kennedy PC. Tumors of the genital systems. In: Meuten DJ (ed). Tumors in Domestic Animals. 4th ed. pp. 547-554, Iowa State Press, Ames, 2002.
- McEntee K. Germ cell tumors. In: McEntee K (ed.). Reproductive Pathology of Domestic Animals. pp. 74-77, Academic Press, San Diego, 1990.
- McEntee MC. Reproductive oncology. Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 2002, 17, 133-149. https://doi.org/10.1053/svms.2002.34642
- McLennan MW, Kelly WR. Hypertrophic osteopathy and dysgerminoma in a mare. Aust Vet J 1977, 53, 144-146. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1977.tb00142.x
- Meuten DJ, Rendano V. Hypertrophic osteopathy in a mare with a dysgerminoma. J Equine Med Surg 1978, 2, 445-450.
- Park JK, Goo MJ, Hong IH, Ki MR, Han JY, Jeong KS. Immunohistochemistry diagnosis of an ovarian dysgerminoma in one bitch. Reprod Domest Anim 2009, 44, 855-858. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.2008.01135.x
- Shanbhogue AKP, Shanbhogue DKP, Prasad SR, Surabhi VR, Fasih N, Menias CO. Clinical syndromes associated with ovarian neoplasms: a comprehensive review. Radiographics 2010, 30, 903-919. https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.304095745
- Soslow RA, Isacson C. Diagnostic immunohistochemistry of the female genital tract. In: Dabbs DJ (ed). Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry. pp. 486-516, Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia, 2002.
- Strunk A, Imai DM, Osofsky A, Tell LA. Dysgerminoma in an eastern rosella (Platycercus eximius eximius). Avian Dis 2011, 55, 133-138. https://doi.org/10.1637/9502-081510-Case.1
- Summers PM, Humphrey JD, Bagshaw PA. Ovarian dysgerminoma in a cow. Aust Vet J 1975, 51, 496. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1975.tb02391.x
- Tai MH, Chang CC, Kiupel M, Webster JD, Olson LK, Trosko JE. Oct4 expression in adult human stem cells: evidence in support of the stem cell theory of carcinogenesis. Carcinogenesis 2005, 26, 495-502.
- Zaloudek CJ, Tavassoli FA, Norris HJ. Dysgerminoma with syncytiotrophoblastic giant cells. A histologically and clinically distinctive subtype of dysgerminoma. Am J Surg Pathol 1981, 5, 361-367. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000478-198106000-00006
- Dehner LP, Norris HJ, Garner FM, Taylor HB. Comparative pathology of ovarian neoplasms. III. Germ cell tumours of canine, bovine, feline, rodent and human species. J Comp Pathol 1970, 80, 299-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9975(70)90098-8
- Greenlee PG, Patnaik AK. Canine ovarian tumors of germ cell origin. Vet Pathol 1985, 22, 117-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/030098588502200204