- Volume 29 Issue 12
An effective way to ensure that LEDs produce wanted light output is to use a current driving topology, because the brightness of LEDs is directly related to their current. However, this topology may lead to the lifetime shortening of a illumination system because over-currents may flow through non-damaged LEDs in case some LEDs are damaged. This paper presents an adaptive current control circuits for LEDs, which protect LEDs in a good state by limiting the driving currents according to the number of damaged ones. The proposed control circuits consist of a simple constant-current driver and a micro-controller which monitors the voltage of LED array without any auxiliary current sensors for fault diagnosis. And the driving current is automatically controlled into 6-levels according to the number of failures.
LED Drive;Linear Current Regulator;Over-Current Protection;Failure Detection of LED
- S. J. Choi, K. C. Lee, and B. H. Cho, "Design of fluorescent lamp ballast with PFC using a power piezoelectric transformer," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1573-1581, Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2005.858726
- C. H. Lin, "Digital-dimming controller with current spikes elimination technique for LCD backlight electronic ballast," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1881-1888, Dec. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.885143
- C. Y. Wu, T. F. Wu, J. R. Tsai, Y. M. Chen, and C. C. Chen, "Multistring LED backlight driving system for LCD panels with color sequential display and area control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 10, pp. 3791-3800, Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.921206
- Min-Woo Jung, Seong Woo Kwak, Chang-dong Kim, In-Soo Nam, Sang-Hyun Park, "Development of a Digital Controller for LED Lighting System with Adjustable Illuminance and Chromaticity." Proceeding of KIIS Spring Conference 2013, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 223-224.
- Kim, Eung-Seok, and Young-Tae Kim. "A Study on the Mathematical Modeling and Constant Current Adaptive Controller Design for Power LEDs." Journal of the Korean Institute of Illuminating and Electrical Installation Engineers 25.9 (2011): 8-13.
- Chiu, Huang-Jen, et al. "A high-efficiency dimmable LED driver for low-power lighting applications." Industrial Electronics, IEEE Transactions on 57.2 (2010): 735-743. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2027251
- Hu, Yuequan, and Milan Jovanovic. "LED driver with self-adaptive drive voltage." Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on 23.6 (2008): 3116-3125. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2004558
- Jong-Woo Choi, Jung-Sik Sung, Seong-Hee Park, Hyun-Chul Kang, Hyun-Joo Kang, Tae-Gyu Kang "The Active Radiant-heat Control of LED Lighting based on Driving Current and LED Temperature Sensing." The Korean Institute of Illuminating and electrical Installation Engineers, Proceedings of KIIEE Annual Conference , 2014. 5, pp.123-124.
Supported by : 울산과학대학교