- Volume 29 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Study on Emergency Generator Capacity Selection(PG3) in the Chemical Plant
화학 플랜트에서의 비상발전기 용량선정 방안(PG3)에 관한 연구
- Lee, Seung-Jae ;
- Jo, Man-Young ;
- Kim, Se-Yong ;
- Kim, Eun-Tae ;
- Kang, Byoung-Wook ;
- Park, Han-Min ;
- Kim, Jae-Chul
- Received : 2015.09.05
- Accepted : 2015.10.15
- Published : 2015.12.31
PG and RG methods are widely known method for calculating the capacity of the emergency generator in construction electrical installation. PG and RG methods are mainly used as a saving a life, fire protection, fire fighting in construction. Because no long distance between the emergency generator and electric motor feeder, the relatively small motor power in construction electrical installation, the capacity of generator in PG and RG methods are little problem of voltage and reactive power of generator. However in many cases the application of the PG and RG method is difficult in the Chemical Plant because it is long distance between the generator and the motor Feeder and motor capacity is very large. Motor starting power factor is about 0.2 lagging power factor and motor starting current is about 6times during motor staring. Also Most of the staring current component is a reactive power component. therefore, it is many cases that lack of reactive power and excess of allowable voltage drop limit and After selection of emergency diesel generator, problems happen during motor starting. Therefore, to be selection of effective emergency generator, active generator power, reactive power and the required reactive power during large motor starting should be considered in chemical plant. It is also required of the verification process through simulation because hand calculation is very difficult considering study cases.
Emergency Generator;Motor Starting;Reactive Power;Active Power;Voltage Drop
- Ho-Jun. Lee, "A study on selection methods of emergency generator capacity for various building electrical loading system", M.S. dissertation, Hanyang University, 2015. 2.
- KOREA LAND & HOUSING CORPORATION, "A Study on the Capacity Estimation Methods for the Emergency Electric Generators", 1995.12.
- Sang-Don. Kim, "The Research of Industrial Plant Synchronous Generators Operation Characteristics and Performance Tests", M.S. dissertation, Korea University, 2014. 6.
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill, Inc., pp. 224, pp254, 1994.
- WAYNE T.HOAN, and MARK CHOW, "Transient Stability Analysis for Sohio Prudhoe Bay Eemeragency Power System", IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. IA-22, No.4, p.430-p.434, May/June 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1986.4504738
- M.M.Adibi, and D.P.Milanicz, SM, "Reactive Capability Limitation of Synchronous Machines", IEEE Transactions on Powr systems, Vol.9, No.1, p.29-p.40, February 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.317560
- J. Y. JACKSON, "Interpretation and Use of Generator Reactive Capability Diagram", IEEE Transactions on Industry and General Applications, Vol. IGA-7, No.6, p.729 - p.732, November/December 1971. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIGA.1971.4181375
- "IEEE Recommended Practice for Industrial and Commercial Power System Analysis", 9.2.2, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. IEEE Std 399-1997.
- "IEEE Guide for Abnormal Frequency Protection for Power Generating Plants", 4.2.2, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. IEEE Std C37.106-2003.
- "Rotating electrical machines-Part 3 : Specific requirements for synchronous generators driven by steam turbines or combustion gas turbines, 4.6", The International Electro-technical Commission(IEC). IEC 60034-3-2007.