- Volume 29 Issue 12
Certainly, we are living in a true mobile society. At the end of 2014, approximately 40million 560thousand people are subscribed to smartphone services in Korea, using more than 2000MB of mobile data per a person. The use of smartphone is expected to increase. Moreover, smartphone moves toward becoming a requisite for modern people. Under the circumstances, high-speed communication services such as LTE provide high quality services anywhere and anytime and, furthermore, the development of high performances of the application makes the life patterns of modern people link directly to smartphone. Almost every day, new creative services are being introduced and the demands of on-line streaming services such as high-performance game and YouTube are increasing day after day. However, although smartphones are getting smarter and high quality services are rapidly growing, consumers still complain about the insufficient usage time caused by the capacity of batteries. In order to solve this problem, this thesis suggests EDLC(Electric Double-Layer Capacitor) uses as a supplemental power supply to keep the continuity of work while switching batteries. Through this approach, the running time of smartphone becomes longer as the number of batteries without power off and the purpose of this study is to maximize the convenience of using smartphone by eliminating the initialization of memories and the loss of time of rebooting while batteries are switched.
EDLC;PFM Booster;Continuous Power Supply;smartphone;Bootless
- Korea Communication Commission, Korea Communication Commission Annual Report 2014, Korea Communication Commission, 2015.
- Paradiso, J.A., Energy Scavenging for Mobile and Wireless Electronics, Pervasive Computing, IEEE, 2005.
- Ask The Applications Engineer-37 Low-Dropout Regulators, http://www.analog.com/library/analogDialogue/archives/41-05/ldo.pdf
- TI, technical review of low drop voltage Regulator operation and performance, Texas Instruments, 1999.
- David Linden and Tomas.B.Reddy, Handbook of Batteries third edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA, ch.35, 2002.
- Jung-Gi Park, Principles and Applicaions of Lithium Secondary Batteries, Hongrung Publishing Company, Seoul, pp. 450, 2010.
- Dae-Joong Cha, Ji-Eun Baek and Kwang-Cheol Ko, "A Study of Voltage Balancing Method in Series-Connected EDLCs for High Power Applications", The Journal of The Korean Institute of Illuminating and electrical Installation Engineers, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 22-27, 2015.
- Li-Min Park, Hak-Jin Jung, Tai-Kyung Yoo and Kwang-Sub Yoon, "Design of the DC-DC Buck Converter for Mobile Application Using PWM/PFM Mode", The journal of The Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences, Vol 35, No. 11, pp. 1667-1675, 2010.
- Linear Technology Corporation, LT3536 1A Low Noise, Buck-Boost DC/DC Converter datasheet, Linear Technology Corporation, Milpitas, CA, USA, 2011.
- Intersil, ISL9110A 1.2A High Efficiency Buck-Boost Regulator datasheet, Intersil, USA, 2012.