- Volume 29 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Proposal on the Development Method of a New Lightning Warning System for Effective Alerts
유효 경보를 위한 새로운 낙뢰 경보시스템의 개발 방법에 대한 제안
Shim, Hae-Sup;Lee, Bok-Hee
- Received : 2015.09.08
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.12.31
We examine the standalone lightning warning system (LWS) and its warning performances for three years. This system acquires and analyzes the data of cloud-to-ground strike (CG), intra-cloud discharge (IC) and electrostatic field (EF) to produce prior warnings with respect to the impending arrival of CG in the area of concern (AOC). The warnings in this system are carried out based on the fixed two areas method. To evaluate warning performances, we analyzed the statistics of warnings with probability of detection (POD) and false alarm ratio (FAR). Based on the previous study, we revised the trigger and clear conditions of lightning warning for improving the performances of the system. As a result of this revision, POD increased from 0.18 to 0.44 and FAR decreased from 0.96 to 0.78 during the summer of 2014. However, the LWS was not possible to trigger effective alerts (EA) because there was no effective lead time (LT) for the fixed two areas method. Problems related to the low detection efficiency of IC and the use of EF data for warnings still decreased POD and increased FAR. Hence, we proposed the development method of a new LWS (NLWS) that would be composed of integrated weather data, the flexible two areas and the user software in order to trigger EA and improve warning performances.
New Lightning Warning System;Effective Alerts;Effective Lead Time;Flexible two areas;Probability of Detection;False Alarm Ratio
- M. A. Uman., "The Art and Science of Lightning protection". Cambridge University Press, New York, pp.134-138. 2008.
- R. A. Rakov and M. A. Uman., "Lightning-Physics and Effects", Cambridge University Press, New York, pp.588-654. 2003.
- C. J. Andrews, M. A. Cooper, M. Darveniza, and D. Mackerras, "Lightning Injuries: Electrcal, Medical, and Legal Aspects", CRC, Inc., pp.12-19. 2000.
- D. S. Kim, B. H. Lee and D. K. Jeon, "Statistics of Casualities and Damage Caused by Lightning Strikes in Korea from 2000 to 2007", J. KIIEE, Vol.23, No.7, pp.14-19, 2009.
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security, "Countermeasures against Natural Disasters Act", Act No.12844, 2014.
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security, "Framework Act on the Management of Disaster and Safety", Act No.12943, 2014.
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security, "Task Status II of the Master Plan on the Management of Disasters and Safety", 2014.
- Ministry of Public Safety and Security, "2014 Annals of Disasters", 2015.
- Man-Shik Park, "Statistics of Lightning Damages and Lightning Protection Standards in Korea", M.S. Thesis, Inha University, 2005.
- The Electrical Engineering & Science Reserch Institute, "Study for Establishing Criterions and Preparing Measures to Help Mitigate Lightning Damage", A Political Study, NEMA, 2009.
- Korea University of Technology and Education, "A Political Study for Future Optimal Lightning Detection Network in Korea", A Political Study, KMA, 2010.
- M. M. Lengyel, "Lightning Casualties and Their Proximity to Surrounding Cloud-to-ground Lightning". M.S. Thesis. University of Oklahoma, 2004.
- R. L. Holle, R. E. Lopez, B. C. Navarro, "Deaths, Injuries, and Damages from Lightning in the United States in the 1890s in Comparison with the 1990s". 2005 American Meteorological Society, pp.1563-1573. Oct., 2005.
- R. L. Holle, "Annual Rates of Lightning Fatalities by Country". 20th International Lightning Detection Conference (ILDC). Proceedings. Tucson, 2008.
- User's Guide, "Thunderstorm Sensor Model 928". Vaisala, 2003.
- User's Guide, "ALARM v1.1". Vaisala, 2003.
- User's Guide, "EFM550". Vaisala, 2003.
- Hae-Sup Shim, Bok-Hee Lee, "Construction and Operation Characteristics of the Automated Lightning Warning System Based on Detections of Cloud-to-ground Discharge and Atmospheric Electric Field", J. KIIEE, Vol.28, No.11, pp.58-64, 2013.
- J. Montanya, D. Aranguren, N. Pineda, G. Sola, D. Romero, V. March, "Total Lightning, Electrostatic Field and Mmeteorological Radar Applied to Lightning Hazard Warning". 20th International Lightning Detection Conference (ILDC). Proceedings. Tucson, CD-ROM, 2008.
- M. J. Murphy and R. L. Holle, "Warnings of Cloud-to-ground Lightning Hazard Based on Combinations of Lightning Detection and Radar Information". 19th International Lightning Detection Conference (ILDC). Proceedings. Tucson, CD-ROM, 2006.
- J. Inampues, D. Aranguren, H.Torres, J. Montanya, I. Santoyo, E. Olarte, C. Younes., "Analysis of Lightning Forcasts in Colombia Based on the Lightning Detection Network Data". 10th International Symposium on Lightning Protection. Curitiba, Brazil, 2009.
- M. J. Murphy and R. L. Holle, N. W. S. Demetriades, "Cloud-to-ground Lightning Warnings Using Electric Field Mill and Lightning Observations". 20th International Lightning Detection Conference (ILDC). Proceedings. Tucson, 2008.
- R. L. Holle, Nicholas W.S. Demetriadws, and Amitabh Nag, "Lightning Warnings with NLDN Cloud and Cloud-to-ground Lightning Data". 2014 International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP), Shanghai, China, pp.315-323, 2014.
- D. R. MacGorman, I. R. Apostolakopoulos, N. R. Lund, N. W. S. Demetriades, M. J. Murphy, and P. R. Krehbiel, "The Timing of Cloud-to-ground Lightning Relative to Total Lightning Activity", Mon. Wea. Rev., vol. 139, pp. 3871-3886, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-11-00047.1
- ACRP Report 8. "Lightning-Warning Systems for Use by Airports". Airport Cooperative Research Program, Federal Aviation Administration, USA, 2008.
- Hae-Sup Shim, "The Development of National Lightning Warning System", 2015 proposal competition, KMA, p. 17, 2015.
- http://www.wdtinc.com(WDT Homepage)
- http://www.nowcast.de(Nowcast Homepage)
Supported by : 국가기상위성센터