- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparative Analysis of the Result of Minimally Invasive Anterior Plating and Open Reduction and Internal Fixation in Humerus Shaft Simple Fracture
- Ko, Sang-Hun ;
- Choe, Chang-Gyu ;
- Lee, Ju-Hyung
- Received : 2014.08.18
- Accepted : 2014.12.19
- Published : 2015.06.30
Background: This retrospective comparative study aims to evaluate the surgical outcomes and complications of two surgical methods for simple fractures of the humeral shaft; minimally invasive anterior plating and open reduction combined with internal fixation. Methods: A total of 26 patients with humeral shaft simple fractures, who had surgery between June 2009 and September 2013 and were followed-up at least 12 months, were included in our analysis. They were divided into two groups; group 1 comprised of 12 patients who underwent minimally invasive anterior plating and group 2 comprised of 14 patients who underwent an open reduction and internal fixation. The clinical outcomes, radiological results, and complications were compared and analyzed. Results: We found that bone union was achieved in all patients, and the mean union periods were
Humeral fractures;Minimally invasive surgical procedure;Internal fracture fixation;Retrospective studies
- Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Alonso JE. Nonunions of the humerus. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;(419):46-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200402000-00008
- Sarmiento A, Kinman PB, Galvin EG, Schmitt RH, Phillips JG. Functional bracing of fractures of the shaft of the humerus. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1977;59(5):596-601. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197759050-00004
- Sarmiento A. Outcome of nonoperative vs operative treatment of humeral shaft fractures: a retrospective study of 213 patients. Orthopedics. 2011;34(3):159; author reply 159. https://doi.org/10.3928/01477447-20101221-01
- Gosler MW, Testroote M, Morrenhof JW, Janzing HM. Surgical versus non-surgical interventions for treating humeral shaft fractures in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;1:CD008832.
- Schemitsch EH, Bhandari M. Fractures of the diaphyseal humerus. In: Browner BD, Jupiter JB, Lebine AM, Trafton PG, eds. Skeletal trauma. 3rd ed. Toronto: WB saunders; 2003. 1481-511.
- McKee MD. Fractures of the humeral shaft. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006. 1117-59.
- Bae SW, Kim WJ, Song BY, Choi NH, Lee JH. Postoperative functional assessments in adult humerus shaft fractures: comparison among plates and screws, intramedullary nail and external fixator. J Korean Soc Fract. 2001;14(2):228-35. https://doi.org/10.12671/jksf.2001.14.2.228
- Farouk O, Krettek C, Miclau T, Schandelmaier P, Guy P, Tscherne H. Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis and vascularity: preliminary results of a cadaver injection study. Injury. 1997;28 Suppl 1:A7-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(97)90110-8
- Perren SM. Evolution of the internal fixation of long bone fractures. The scientific basis of biological internal fixation: choosing a new balance between stability and biology. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2002;84(8):1093-110. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.84B8.13752
- Flinkkila T, Hyvoen P, Lakovaara M, Linden T, Ristiniemi J, Hamalainen M. Intramedullary nailing of humeral shaft fractures. A retrospective study of 126 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 1999;70(2):133-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453679909011250
- Rommens PM, Blum J, Runkel M. Retrograde nailing of humeral shaft fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1998;(350):26-39.
- Byun YS. Minimally invasive plate osteosynthesis, MIPO. J Korean Fract Soc. 2007;20(1):99-114. https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2007.20.1.99