- Volume 50 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Improving Light Stability of Natural Rubber Latex Foam
- Shim, Chang Su (School of Applied Chemical Engineering, Chonnam National University) ;
- Oh, Jeong Seok (Polymeric Materials Research Team, Hyundai Motor R&D Division) ;
- Hong, Chang Kook (School of Applied Chemical Engineering, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2015.02.24
- Accepted : 2015.04.21
- Published : 2015.06.30
In this study, natural rubber latex foam was prepared in order to replace commercialized polyurethane foams as a car seat material. Physical properties of the latex foam were investigated and the light stability was improved. The latex foam was mixed in an aqueous solution state, and the degree of foaming and the accelerator ratios were appropriately controlled. Tensile properties, hysteresis and dynamic mechanical properties of the latex foam were measured to compare with those of polyurethane foams. UV light absorbers and radical scavengers were added for improving light stability of the latex foam. Xenon lamp test was conducted to investigate the effects of the reagents on light stability. Our results revealed that the prepared latex foam including a light absorber with an antioxidant showed excellent light stable performances.
- W. Rathnayakea, H. Ismaila, A. Baharinb, A. Darsanasiric, and S. Rajapaksec, "Synthesis and characterization of nano silver based natural rubber latex foam for imparting antibacterial and anti-fungal properties" Polym. Test., 31, 586 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2012.01.010
- S. R. Hong, "Naturally dyed functional latex foam and method for producing same", Patent WO 2012148116 A2 (2012).
- J. K. Kurian, N. Baran, K. Mary, and B. Kuriakose, "Effect of vulcanization systems and antioxidants on discoloration and degradation of natural rubber latex thread under UV radiation", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 78, 304 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4628(20001010)78:2<304::AID-APP100>3.0.CO;2-G
- L. V. Abad, L. Relleve, C. Aranilla, A. Aliganga, C. San Diego, and A. Dela Rosa, "Natural antioxidants for radiation vulcanization of natural rubber latex", Polym. Degrad. Stab., 76, 275 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(02)00024-1
- D. C. Blackley, "Polymer latexes: science and technology", London, New York, Chapman & Hall (1997).
- P. S. Fri, G. Nkeng, and E. Ehabe "Effect of natural coagula maturation on the processability, cure, and mec hanical properties of unfilled vulcanizates of hevea natural rubber", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 103, 2359 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.25175
- A. Ciesielski, "An introduction to rubber technology", Rapra Publishing, UK (1999).
- A. M. Lobanov, and S. Frenkel, "The nature of the so-called liquid-liquid transition in polymer melts", Polym. Sci., 22, 1150 (1980).
- J. F. Rabek, "Polymer Photodegradation: Mechanisms and experimental methods", London, Chapman & Hall (1995).