- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Single-dose Intravenous Toxicology Testing of Daebohwalryeok Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Sun, Seung-Ho (Department of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Park, Sunju (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Daejeon University) ;
- Jeong, Jong-Jin (Department of Internal Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Lee, Kwang-Ho (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Yu, Jun-Sang (Department of Sasang Constitutional Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sangji University) ;
- Seo, Hyung-Sik (Department of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, and Dermatology, Korean Medicine Hospital, Pusan National University) ;
- Kwon, Ki-Rok (Research Center of the Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute)
- Received : 2014.11.27
- Accepted : 2015.01.14
- Published : 2015.06.30
Objectives: The aims of the study were to test the single- dose intravenous toxicity of Daebohwalryeok pharmacopuncture (DHRP) in Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats and to estimate the crude lethal dose. Methods: The experiments were conducted at Biotoxtech Co., a Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) laboratory, according to the GLP regulation and were approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee of Biotoxtech Co. (Approval no: 110156). The rats were divided into three groups: DHRP was injected into the rats in the two test groups at doses of 10 mL/kg and 20 mL/kg, respectively, and normal saline solution was injected into the rats in the control group. Single doses of DHRP were injected intravenously into 6 week old SD rats (5 male and 5 female rats per group). General symptoms were observed and weights were measured during the 14 day observation period after the injection. After the observation period, necropsies were done. Then, histopathological tests were performed. Weight data were analyzed with a one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) by using statistical analysis system (SAS, version 9.2). Results: No deaths and no statistical significant weight changes were observed for either male or female SD rats in either the control or the test groups during the observation period. In addition, no treatment related general symptoms or necropsy abnormalities were observed. Histopathological results showed no DHRP related effects in the 20 mL/kg DHRP group for either male or female rats. Conclusion: Under the conditions of this study, the results from single-dose intravenous injections of DHRP showed that estimated lethal doses for both male and female rats were above 20 mL/kg.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Insitute. [Pharmacopuncturology: principles and clinical application]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. Chapter 1, Definition and history; p. 3-5. Chapter 3, Types of pharmacopuncture; p. 9-12. Korean.
- Lee JS. editor. [Blood and Qi recuperated pharmacopuncture]. Proceedings of 2013 Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute Academic Lecture; 2013 May 25; Wonju, Korea: c2013. 46-9 p. Korean.
- Jeong HH, Cho SH, Lee EY, Lee SD, Ahn SH, Kim SC. Single dose toxicity of chukyu (spine-healing) pharmacopuncture injection in the muscle of rats. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(1):35-43. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2014.17.005
- Kim SC, Ahn SH. Single intramuscular-dose toxicity of samgihwalryeok-pharmacopuncture in sprague-dawley rats. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(2):46-56. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2014.17.016
- Lee YH, Kim CW, Lee KH. A case report of monitoring PSA level changes in two prostate cancer patients treated with mountain ginseng pharmacopuncture and sweet bee venom along with western anticancer therapy. J Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(4):81-8. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.4.081
- Lee KH, Sun SH, Yu JS, Lim CS, Kwon KR. Intravenous single-dose toxicity of mountain ginseng pharmcopuncture in sprague-dawely rats. J Pharmacopuncture. 2014;17(3):50-6. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2014.17.026
- Xie Z, Huang XK. Dictionary of traditional Chinese medicine. Hong Kong: The Commercial Press, Ltd; 1984. p. 205-18.
- Han JH, Kim KY. [Korean traditional pharmacology]. Seoul: Euiseongdang publishing INC; 2004. p. 479-83, 529-32. Korean.
- Joo IK, Kim HY, Kim JH, Shehzad O, Kim YS, Han YM. [Effects of ginsenosides Rd and Rg1 on proliferation of B cells and antibody]. Yakhak Hoeji. 2013;57(1):1-7. Korean.
- Kim SM. [Effects of ginseng radix on the rat hypothyroidism induced by PTU (6-n-propyl-2-thiouracil)]. Kor J Herbology. 2010;25(3):11-8. Korean.
- Ko SK, Leem KH. [Discussion of ginseng properties through a historical research of Korean ginseng]. Kor J Herbology. 2009;24(3):169-72. Korean.
- Liu Z, Li W, Li X, Zhang M, Chen L, Zheng YN, et al. Antidiabetic effects of malonyl ginsenosides from panax ginseng on type 2 diabetic rats induced by high-fat diet and streptozotocin. J Ethnopharmacol. 2013;145(1):233-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2012.10.058
- Shin YM, Jung HJ, Choi WY, Lim CJ. Antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and matrix metalloproteinase inhibitory activities of 20(S)-ginsenoside Rg3 in cultured mammalian cell lines. Mol Biol Rep. 2013;40(1):269-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-012-2058-1
- Wang J, Li S, Fan Y, Chen Y, Liu D, Cheng H, et al. Anti-fatigue activity of the water-soluble polysaccharides isolated from panax ginseng C. A. Meyer. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;130(2):421-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.027
- Ye R, Li N, Han J, Kong X, Cao R, Rao Z, et al. Neuroprotective effects of ginsenoside Rd against oxygen-glucose deprivation in cultured hippocampal neurons. Neurosci Res. 2009;64(3):306-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neures.2009.03.016
- Kim YK, Choi YH, Song JH, Jang SJ, Kim HJ, Lee CH, et al. [Inhibitory effect of deer antler on osteoclastic bone resorption]. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2009;23(6):1299-304. Korean.
- Lee KB, Park SK. [Effects of cornu cervi parvum pharmacopuncture on the blood picture and antioxidative activity in rats]. Korean J Acupunct. 2010;27(2):25-34. Korean.
- Heo J. [Donguibogam: principles and practice of eastern medicine. part III-2 miscellaneous disorders]. Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare. Korea Institue of Oriental Medicine; 2012. p. 150-6. Korean.
- Kim KS, Song YJ. [Effects of aqua-acupuncture with radix angelicae gigantis and radix astragali on the blood in the liver damage rats with CCL4]. The acupuncture. 1996;13(1):1-10. Korean.
- Hwang HS, Ahn BC, Park DS. [The effects of angelicae gigantis radix aqua - acupuncture by density on immune response induced by radiation in mice]. The acupuncture. 1994;11(1):113-29. Korean.
- Kim SJ, Song BK, Lee EJ, Kim HK, Kim JK. [Effects of radix angelicae gigantis and resina ferulae on the relaxation of smooth muscle and expression of iNOS]. J Korean Oriental Med. 2000;20(2):60-7. Korean.
- Kim YJ, Hwang CW. [An experimental study on brain damage and cardiovascular system effect of angelicae gigantis radix extract]. J Korean Oriental Med. 2000;21(4):37-46. Korean.
- Park YC, Lee JS, Kim MH, Kim DY, Lee SD. [Pharmacological action and toxicity of angelica sinensis]. Herbal Formula Science. 2011;19(2):93-108. Korean.
- Sun Y, Tang J, Gu X, Li D. Water-soluble polysaccharides from angelica sinensis (oliv.) diels: preparation, characterization and bioactivity. Int J Biol Macromol. 2005;36(5):283-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2005.07.005
- Jang SE, Kim YB. [The effects of radix ophiopogon japonicus on the NC/nga atopy model]. J Korean Orient Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermato. 2008;21(3):10-9. Korean.
- Lee ES, Yang SY, Kim MH, Nam GU, Park YC. [Effects of root of liriope spicata on LPS-induced lung injury]. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2011;25(4):641-9. Korean.
- Nam SH, Choi SL, Goo JS, Kim JE, Lee YK, Hwang IS, et al. [LP-M, a novel butanol-extracts isolated from liriope platyphylla, could induce the neuronal cell survival and neuritic outgrowth in hippocampus of mice through akt/ERK activation on NGF signal pathway]. Korean J Life Sci. 2011;21(9):1234-43. Korean. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.9.1234
- Park SD, Lee GH, Lee YS, Kwon YK, Park JH, Choi SM, et al. [Comparison of immunomodualtory effects of water-extracted adenophorae radix, liriopis tuber, dendrobii herba, polygonati odorati rhizoma and polygonati rhizome]. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2007;21(2):414-24. Korean.
- Park SH, Kim YS. [Effects of liriopis tuber on 4-HNE-induced apoptosis in PC-12 cells]. Kor J Herbology. 2013;28(2):33-8. Korean. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2013.28.2.33
- Roh SS, Choi HJ, Kim DH, Seo YB. [Studies of anti-inflammation of liriopis tuber to autoimmunune diabetes in NOD mice]. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2008;22(4):766-70. Korean.
Kim JH, Kim JE, Lee YK, Nam SH, Her YK, Jee SW, et al. [The extracts from liriope platyphylla significantly stimulated insulin secretion in the HIT-T15 pancreatic
$\beta$-Cell Line]. J Life Sci. 2010;20(7):1027-33. Korean. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.7.1027
- Park DI. [Effects of maekmundong-tang on the improvement of lung capacity]. Herbal Formula Science. 2013;21(2):165-72. Korean. https://doi.org/10.14374/HFS.2013.21.2.165
- Sung HK, Min SY, Kim JH. [Effect of macmundongtang on production and secretion of respiratory mucus]. J Pediatrics of Korean Medicine. 2013;27(1):69-81. Korean. https://doi.org/10.7778/jpkm.2013.27.1.069
- Rhee IJ, An JY. [Hepatoprotective effects of water extract of liriopis tuber on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in rats]. Korean J Pharmacogn. 2003;34(2):166-71. Korean.
- Choo BK, Chung KH, Seo YB, Roh SS. [Antioxidant, antiinflammation and hepatoprotective activity of schizandrae fructus processed with differenciated steaming number]. Kor J Herbology. 2013;28(2):83-92. Korean. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2013.28.2.83
Kwon DY, Kim DS, Yang HJ, Park S. The lignan-rich fractions of fructus schisandrae improve insulin sensitivity via the PPAR-
$\gamma$pathways in in vitro and in vivo studies. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;135(2):455-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2011.03.037
- Lee YM, Moon BC, Ji YU, Seo HS, Kim HK. [Development of RAPD-derived SCAR markers and multiplex-PCR for authentication of the schisandrae fructus]. Korean J Med Crop Sci. 2013;21(3):165-73. Korean. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2013.21.3.165
- Moon JM, Seok GH, Cho SI. [Antiproliferative effect of schisandrae fructus extract on PC-3 human prostate cancer cells]. Kor J Herbology. 2012;27(4):17-23. Korean. https://doi.org/10.6116/KJH.2012.27.4.17
- Park SM, Kim JJ, Jeong KY, Han SK, Jeong TH, Yun MY. [Antioxidant activity and inhibition of MMP-1 expression of schizandrae fructus (schizandra chinensis) extract]. Korean J Pharmacogn. 2013;44(1):47-52. Korean.
- Ko BS, Park SK, Choi SB, Jun DW, Choi MK, Park SM. [A study on hypoglycemic effects of crude extracts of schizandrae fructus]. J Korean Soc Appl Biol Chem. 2004;47(2):258-64. Korean.