- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Single-dose Toxicity of ShinYangHur Herbal Acupuncture
- Cha, Eunhye (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Lee, Jongcheol (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Lee, Seongjin (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Park, Manyong (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital) ;
- Kim, Sungchul (Department of Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine, Wonkwang University Gwangju Korean Medical Hospital)
- Received : 2015.03.12
- Accepted : 2015.05.20
- Published : 2015.06.30
Objectives: This study was carried out to analyze the single-dose toxicity of ShinYangHur (SYH) herbal acupuncture injected into the muscles of Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats. Methods: The SYH herbal acupuncture was made in a clean room at the Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute (KPI, Korea-Good Manufacturing Practice, K-GMP). After the mixing process with sterile distilled water, the pH was controlled to between 7.0 and 7.5. Then, NaCl was added to make a 0.9% isotonic solution by using sterilized equipment. All experiments were conducted at Biotoxtech, an institution authorized to perform non clinical studies under the regulations of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP). SD rats were chosen for the pilot study. Doses of SYH herbal acupuncture, 0.25, 0.5, and 1.0 mL, were administered to the experimental groups, and a dose of normal saline solution, 1.0 mL, was administered to the control group. This study was conducted under the approval of the Institutional Animal Ethics Committee. Results: No deaths or abnormalities occurred in any of the four groups. No significant changes in weight, hematological parameters or clinical chemistry between the control group and the experimental groups were observed. To check for abnormalities in organs and tissues, we used microscopy was used to examine representative histological sections of each specified organ; the results showed no significant differences in any of the organs or tissues. Conclusion: The above outcomes suggest that treatment with SYH herbal acupuncture is relatively safe. Further studies on this subject are needed to yield more concrete evidence.
Supported by : Wonkwang university
- Yook TH. [Clinical observation about the extent of improvement of low back pain patient through medi- acupuncture therapy]. J Korean Oriental Med. 1995;16(1):184-97.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopunc-turology: principles and clinical applications. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. p. 3-4.
- Joo HJ. [Researches on parmacopuncture]. KIOM; 1995;5:193-210. Korean.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Institute. Pharmacopuncturology: principles and clinical applications. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. p. 166.
- Jeong WK, Ryu DK, Lee HS. [Effects of palmijihwangtang water extracts on the renal function in rats]. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 1997:12(1):157. Korea.
- Korean Pharmacopuncture Insitute. [Pharmacopuncturology: principles and clinical application]. Seoul: Elsevier Korea LLC; 2012. p. 152. Korean.
- Choi JS, Lim YK, Lee BR, Yang KY, Kim JK. [The effect of achyranthis radix herbal-acupuncture on hyperlipidemia in rats]. Korean J Acupunct. 2010;27(3):25-46. Korean.
- Cho SY, Kim CH, Yoon HM, Jang KJ, Ahn CB, Song CH. The effect of plantaginis semen herbal acupuncture on acute renal failure in rat. Korean J Acupunct. 2005;22(4):117-27.
- Kwon SH, Song CH. [The effect of plantaginis semen on CCI4 induced hepatoxicity in rats]. The Acupuncture. 2001;18(4):152-60. Korean.
- Lee YH, Lim EM. [Anti-inflammatory effect of ligustri lucidi fructus water extract in raw 264.7 cells induced by LPS]. J Orient Obstet Gynecol. 2013;26(4):66-8. Korean.
- Park SJ. The study of anti-inflammatory mechanism in mast cells by rehmanniae radix preparata water extract. [dissertation]. [iksan]: Wonkwang University; 2008. p. 1-2. Korean.
- Ko MK, Hong KE. Clinical study for evaluation of safety of sanyak (dioscoreae rizoma) pharmacopuncture according to extract method - a double-blind randomized controlled trial [master's thesis]. [Daejeon]: Daejeon University; 2011. p. 34. Korean.
- Sung IS, Hong KE, Kim MJ, Song I. Clinical research of the efficacy and the safety of dioscoreae rhizoma (sanyak) pharmacopuncture therapy for peripheral facial paralysis patients. J Pharmacopuncture. 2012;15(4):15-24. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2012.15.010
- Kim KS. [Effects of the herbal-acupuncture with corni fructus extract at eumgok(KI10) on osteoporosis in ovariectomized mice. Korean J Acupunct. 2010;27(1):63-85. Korean.
- Lee HL. Study on the effects of aqua-acupuncture with dispaci radix solution on adjuvant-induced arthritis of rat [master's thesis]. [Daejeon]: Daejeon University; 2000. p. 1-51. Korean.
- Kang JH, Lee H. [A study on the effect of herbal-acupuncture with eucomiae cortex solution at joksamni(ST36) on collagen-induced arthritis]. The Acupuncture. 2006;23(3):129-42. Korean.
- Seo CW, Seo BK, Kim JI, Kang SK. [Poria cocos herbal acupuncture prevents -cell damage on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat]. The acupuncture. 2009;26(5):39-47. Korean.
- Ahn YS, Anh TW, Kang HJ, Lee YH, Lim YK. The effect of herbal-acupuncture with moutan cortex radicis extract. Korean J Acupunct. 2009;26(1):85-109.
- Han JK, Kim YS, Kim BS, Lim YK. [The effect of alismatis rhizoma herbal-acupuncture at KI(10) on LPS-induced nephritis in rats. Korean J Acupunct. 2014;31(1):51-60. Korean.
- Jeong HS. Effects of cinnamomum cassia and aconitum carmichaeli′s phamacopunture and oral administration on blood sugar in typeII diabetic mice [dissertation]. [Jeonju]: Woosuk University; 2009. p. 1-39. Korean.
- Kim JK, Kim SH, Lee SM, Jeong HH, Park MY, Kim DW, et al. Study of single-dose toxicity of aconitum kusnezoffii reichb pharmacopuncture in rats. J Pharmacopuncture. 2012;15(3):48-52. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2012.15.007
- Lee JM, Kim YT, Lee HI, Son YS, Jin SH, Lee HS, et al. [The effects of cervus elaphus aquapuncture and ginseng radix aquapuncture on the growth of animals]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2000;3(2):131-52. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2000.3.2.131
- Seol H, Song BY, Yook TH. [The effects of panax gingseng radix pharmacopuncture and zizyphi spinosi semen pharmacopuncture on the heart rate variability]. The Acupuncture. 2009;26(5):19-28. Korean.
- Han SW, Lee YH, Kim CH. [A study on effects of the cervi pantotricuhum cornu herb-acupuncture on the osteoporosis induced by ovariectomy in rats]. J Pharmacopuncture. 2000;3(1):177-91. Korean. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2000.3.1.177
- Kim YK. [The principle and test method. toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1994. p. 15-8. Korean.
- Kim YG. [Toxicology]. Seoul: Donghwagisul; 1984. p. 15-8. Korean.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. Korea Food & Drug Administration notification [Internet]. Seoul: Korea Food & Drug Administration; 2005 [cited 2015 JAN 2]. Available from: http://www.mfds.go.kr/.
- Herbal acupuncture for type 2 diabetes: A meta-analysis vol.13, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2017.4379