- Volume 44 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Rosa multiflora and Rosa multiflora Complex on Lipid Content in Rats Fed a High-Fat·High-Cholesterol Diet
찔레꽃 및 찔레꽃 복합물 추출물이 고지방·고콜레스테롤 식이 흰쥐의 지질 함량 개선에 미치는 영향
- Choi, Jeong-Hwa (Department of Food Nutrition, International University of Korea) ;
- Baek, Ji-Yun (Department of Food Nutrition, International University of Korea) ;
- Choi, Hee-Jin (Department of Food Nutrition, International University of Korea)
- Received : 2015.03.02
- Accepted : 2015.04.06
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study was conducted to investigate the effects of water extract from Rosa multiflora and Rosa multiflora complex on lipid metabolism in rats fed a high cholesterol diet. Experimental rats were divided into four groups, which were composed of normal diet group (N group), high cholesterol diet group (HF group), high cholesterol and 5% Rosa multiflora diet group (HR group), and high cholesterol and Rosa multiflora complex diet group (HRC group). Rosa multiflora complex is composed of Duchesnea chrysantha, Salvia plebeia R. BR., and Sasa borealis. The serum triglyceride (TG) content of the HF group was significantly higher than that of the N group, whereas that of the HRC group was significantly lower. Serum high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol contents of the HR and HRC groups were significantly higher than that of the HF group. The serum total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein- cholesterol contents of the HF group were significantly higher than those of the N group, and especially the atherogenic index of the HRC group was significantly reduced compared to the HF group. The liver TG and total cholesterol contents of the HF group were significantly increased compared to the normal diet group, while those of the HR and HRC groups were significantly decreased compared to the HF group. Fecal total lipid and total cholesterol contents of the HR and HRC groups were significantly increased compared to the HF group. Uridine 5'-diphospho (UDP)-glucuronyl transferase activity of the HR and HRC groups were increased compared to the HF group. Total bile acid contents of the HR and HRC groups were increased compared to the HF group, and that of the HRC group was significantly increased compared to the HF groups. These results suggest that Rosa multiflora supplementation has powerful health benefits due to UDP-glucuronyl transferase activity, bile acid, and lipid metabolism.
Supported by : 중소기업청
- Anderson JW, Deakins DA, Floore TL, Smith BM, Whitis SE. 1990. Dietary fiber and coronary heart disease. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 29: 95-147. https://doi.org/10.1080/10408399009527518
- Lee HK. 1996. Korean disease pattern and nutrition. Korean J Nutr 29: 381-383.
- Jones PJ, Leitch CA, Pederson RA. 1993. Meal-frequency effects on plasma hormone concentrations and cholesterol synthesis in humans. Am J Clin Nutr 57: 868-874. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/57.6.868
- Balasubramaniam S, Simons LA, Chang S, Hickie JB. 1985. Reduction in plasma cholesterol and increase in biliary cholesterol by a diet rich in n-3 fatty acids in the rat. J Lipid Res 26: 684-689.
- Oh S, Hong SS, Kim YH, Koh SC. 2008. Screening of biological activities in fern plants native to Jeju island. Korean J Plant Res 21: 12-18.
- Lee HS, Yang ST, Ryu BH. 2011. Effects of aged black garlic extract on lipid improvement in rats fed with high fat-cholesterol diet. J Life Sci 21: 884-892. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.6.884
- Jang YS, Jeong JM. 2010. Effects of phyto-extract mixture on adiposity and serum lipid levels in obese mice induced by high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1439-1445. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1439
- Shin JH, Lee SJ, Jung WJ, Seo JK, Sung NJ. 2010. Effect of the plants mixture and garlic composition on serum lipid level of hypercholesterolemic rats. J Life Sci 20: 396-402. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.3.396
- Park JH, Lee KW, Sung KS, Kim SS, Cho KD, Lee BH, Han CK. 2012. Effect of diets with Job's tears and Cudrania tricuspidata leaf mixed-powder supplements on body fat and serum lipid levels in rats fed a high-fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 943-949. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.7.943
- Shin IS, Choi HM, Ku SK, Kim MR. 2012. The effect of natural mixture supplementation on histopathological and histomorphometrical aspects in high fat diet-induced obese mice. Kor J Herbology 27: 53-58.
- Kim JH, Hong SK, Hwang SJ, Son SW, Choi YS. 2012. The preclinical and clinical effects of herbal product containing Rosa mutiflora roots extracts as a main component on the hair growth promotion. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 20: 108-116. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2012.20.2.108
- Han JT. 2006. Development of functional material using the root of Rosa multiflora. Food Industry and Nutrition 11(2): 59-65.
- Choi YS, Rhee H, Yong KJ, Ham SS, Lee SY. 1993. Cholesterol-lowering effects of extracts of Rosa multiflora roots in chickens. Korean J Lipidol 3: 215-220.
- Lee HJ, Choi MS. 1999. Measurement of inhibitory activities on 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl CoA reductase and acyl-CoA: Cholesterol acyltransferase by various plant extracts in vitro. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 958-962.
- Lee IR, Kim YH. 1986. Studies on the antitumor activity of Duchesnea chrysantha indicae herba. Arch Pharm Res 9: 1-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02857697
- Peng B, Chang Q, Wang L, Hu Q, Wang Y, Tang J, Liu X. 2008. Suppression of human ovarian SKOV-3 cancer cell growth by Duchesnea phenolic fraction is associated with cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Gynecologic Oncology 108:173-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.09.016
- Lim JA, Yun BW, Baek SH. 2007. Antioxidative activity and nitrite scavenging ability of methanol extract from Salvia plebeia R. Br. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 15: 183-188.
- Jeong YH, Chung SY, Han AR, Sung MK, Jang DS, Lee J, Kwon Y, Lee HJ, Seo EK. 2007. P-Glycoprotein inhibitory activity of two phenolic compounds, (-)-syringaresinol and tricin from Sasa borealis. Chem Biodivers 4:12-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbdv.200790001
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. 1972. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Fiordaliso M, Kok N, Desager JP, Goethals F, Deboyser D, Roberfroid M, Delzenne N. 1995. Dietary oligofructose lowers triglycerides, phospholipids and cholesterol in serum and very low density lipoproteins of rats. Lipids 30: 163-167. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02538270
- Folch JM, Lees M, Stanley GHS. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues. J Biol Chem 226: 497-509.
- Sale FD, Marchesini S, Fishman PH, Berra B. 1984. A sensitive enzymatic assay for determination of cholesterol in lipid extracts. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA. Vol 142, p 347-350.
- de Weal J, Raaymakers CE, Endeman HJ. 1977. Simplified quantitative determination of total fecal bile acids. Clin Chim Acta 79: 465-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(77)90443-0
- Pearson S, Stern S, McGaracd TH. 1953. A rapid accurate method for the determination of total cholesterol in serum. Anal Chem 25: 813-814. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60077a041
- Reinke LA, Moyer MJ, Notley KA. 1986. Diminished rates of glucuronidation and sulfation in perfused rat liver after chronic ethanol administration. Biochem Pharmacol 35:439-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(86)90217-0
- Sreel RGD, Torrie JH. 1990. Principles and procedures of statistics. Mcgrow Hill, New York, NY, USA. p 633.
- Kim EY, Jung EY, Lim HS, Heo YR. 2007. The effects of the Sasa borealis leaves extract on plasma adiponectin, resistin, c-reactive protein and homocysteine levels in high fat diet-induced obese C57/BL6J mice. Korean J Nutr 40:303-311.
- Lee JJ, Park MR, Kim AR, Lee MY. 2011. Effects of ramie leaves on improvement of lipid metabolism and anti-obesity effect in rats fed a high fat/high cholesterol diet. Korean J Food Sci Technol 43: 83-90. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2011.43.1.083
- Park MR. 2010. Effects of ramie leaves on improvement of lipid metabolism and anti-obesity effect in rats fed high fat-high cholesterol diet. MS Thesis. Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea. p 93-106.
- Park YH, Kim HY, Lim SH, Kim KH, Lee JH, Kim YG, Ahn YS. 2012. Effects of ethanol extract from leaves of Eleutherococcus senticosu on hyperlipidemia in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 333-338. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.333
- Shin KH, Lee S. 2002. The chemistry of secondary products from Acanthopanax species and their pharmacological activities. Natural Product Sciences 8: 111-126.
- Kang SR, Kim YK, Kim SG, Lee SH, Kim M. 2009. The effect of pine (Pinus densiflora) needle extracts on blood flow and serum lipid improvement. J Life Sci 19: 508-513. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.4.508
- Grundy SM, Denke MA. 1990. Dietary influences on serum lipids and lipoproteins. J Lipid Res 31: 1149-1172.
- Asano N, Oseki K, Tomioka E, Kizu H, Matsui K. 1994. N-Containing sugars from Morus alba and their glycosidase inhibitory activities. Carbohyr Res 259: 243-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-6215(94)84060-1
- Gordon T, Castelli WP, Hjortland MC, Kannel WB, Dawber TR. 1977. High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease. The Framingham Study. Am J Med 62: 707-714. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(77)90874-9
- Yang EJ, Cho YS, Choi MS, Woo MN, Kim MJ, Shon MY, Lee MK. 2009. Effect of young barley leaf on lipid contents and hepatic lipid-regulating enzyme activities in mice fed high-fat diet. Korean J Nutr 42: 14-22.
- Yoon HJ, Park YS. 2010. Effects of Scutellaria baicalensis water extract on lipid metabolism and antioxidant defense system in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 219-226. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.2.219
- Gordon T, Kannel WB, Castelli WP, Dawber TR. 1981. Lipoproteins, cardiovascular disease, and death. The Framingham Study. Arch Intern Med 141: 1128-1131. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1981.00340090024008
- Imano H, Noda H, Kitamura A, Sato S, Kiyama M, Sankai T, Ohira T, Nakamura M, Yamagishi K, Ikeda A, Shimamoto T, Iso H. 2011. Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and risk of coronary heart disease among Japanese men and women: the Circulatory Risk in Communities Study (CIRCS). Prev Med 52: 381-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2011.02.019
- Haglund O, Luostarinen R, Wallin R, Wibell L, Saldeen T. 1991. The effects of fish oil on triglycerides, cholesterol, fibrinogen and malondialdehyde in humans supplemented with vitamin E. J Nutr 121: 165-169. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/121.2.165
- Yugarani T, Tan BK, Teh M, Das NP. 1992. Effects of polyphenolic natural products on the lipid profiles of rats fed high fat diets. Lipids 27: 181-186. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02536175
- Yeo JS, Chun SS, Choi JH. 2014. Antioxidant activities of solvent extracts from Rosa multiflora. J Life Sci 24: 1217-1223. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.11.1217
- Yang KM, Shin SR, Jang JH. 2006. Effect of combined extract of safflower seed with herbs on blood glucose level and biochemical parameters in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 35: 150-157. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.2.150
- Wu YG, Xia LL, Lin H, Zhou D, Qian H, Lin ST. 2007. Prevention of early liver injury by breviscapine in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Planta Med 73: 433-438. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2007-967182
- Oh SW, Lee CU, Koh JB. 2004. Effects of Agaricus blazei Murill on lipid metabolism in rats fed high fat diet. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 821-826. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.5.821
- Park KH, Kim SK, Choi SE, Kwon JH, Oh MH, Lee MW. 2010. Three new stereoisomers of condensed tannins from the roots of Rosa multiflora. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 58:1227-1231. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.58.1227
- Graham HN. 1992. Green tea composition, consumption, and polyphenol chemistry. Prev Med 21: 334-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(92)90041-F
- Choi WH, Lee JW. 2012. Effect of catechins on serum lipids in obese women. J Korea Contents Assoc 12: 338-345.
- Cho YJ, An BJ, Choi C. 1993. Inhibition effect of against angiotensin converting enzyme of flavan-3-olsisolated Korean green tea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 25: 238-242.
- Matsuzaki TL, Hara Y. 1985. Antioxidative activity of tea leaf catechins. Nippon Nogeikaku Kaishi 59: 129-134. https://doi.org/10.1271/nogeikagaku1924.59.129
- Park KR, Lee SG, Nam TG, Kim YJ, Kim YR, Kim DO. 2009. Comparative analysis of catechins and antioxidant capacity in various grades of organic green teas grown in Boseong, Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 41: 82-86.
- Yeo SG, Ahn CW, Lee YW, Lee TG, Park YH, Kim SB. 1995. Antioxidative effect of tea extracts from green tea, oolong tea, and black tea. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24: 299-304.
- Hara Y, Matsuzaki S, Nakamura K. 1989. Anti-tumor activity of tea catechins. Nippon Eiyo Shokuryo Gakkaishi 42:39-45. https://doi.org/10.4327/jsnfs.42.39
- Du GJ, Zhang Z, Wen XD, Yu C, Calway T, Yuan CS, Wang CZ. 2012. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is the most effective cancer chemopreventive polyphenol in green tea. Nutrients 4: 1679-1691. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu4111679
- Ohyama K, Furuta C, Nogusa Y, Nomura K, Miwa T, Suzuki K. 2011. Catechin-rich grape seed extract supplementation attenuates diet-induced obesity in C57BL/6J mice. Ann Nutr Metab 58: 250-258. https://doi.org/10.1159/000330444
- Choi YS, Ahn C, Jhoo JW, Park JC, Lee SY. 1993. Effects of Rosa rugosa radix on lipid metabolism in rats. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 8: 224-229.
- Miettinen TA. 1987. Dietary fiber and lipids. Am J Clin Nutr 45: 1237-1242. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/45.5.1237
- Toutouzas K, Drakopoulou M, Skoumas I, Stefanadis C. 2010. Advancing therapy for hypercholesterolemia. Expert Opin Pharmacother 11: 1659-1672. https://doi.org/10.1517/14656561003774080
- Scragg I, Celier C, Burchell B. 1985. Congenital jaundice in rats due to the absence of hepatic bilirubin UDP-glucuronyltransferase enzyme protein. FEBS Lett 183: 37-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-5793(85)80949-2
- Reddy BS. 1981. Diet and excretion of bile acids. Cancer Res 41: 3766-3768.
- Buhman KK, Furumoto EJ, Donkin SS, Story JA. 1998. Dietary psyllium increases fecal bile acid excretion, total steroid excretion and bile acid biosynthesis in rats. J Nutr 128: 1199-1203. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.7.1199
- Moghadasian MH, Frohlich JJ. 1999. Effects of dietary phytosterols on cholesterol metabolism and atherosclerosis: clinical and experimental evidence. Am J Med 107: 588-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(99)00285-5
- Kim SH, Kim SJ, Lee HS. 2014. Effect of insoluble dietary fiber extracted from Salicornia herbacea L. on large intestinal function in rats. Korean J Food Sci Technol 46:648-654. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.5.648
- Effects of Oenanthe javanica and Allium tuberosum on Lipid Content in Rats Fed a High-fat·High-cholesterol Diet vol.26, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2016.26.3.302