- Volume 44 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activity of Korean Traditional Soy Sauce Fermented in Korean Earthenware, Onggi, from Different Regions
지역별 옹기에서 발효된 한국 전통간장의 항산화 활성
- Park, Sunyoung (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Sangki (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Park, Suin (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Inyong (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Jeong, Yoonhwa (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University) ;
- Yu, Sungryul (Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Semyung University) ;
- Shin, Sam Cheol (Dankook University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Misook (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Dankook University)
- 박선영 (단국대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 이상기 (단국대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 박수인 (단국대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김인용 (단국대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 정윤화 (단국대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 유성률 (세명대학교 임상병리학과) ;
- 신삼철 (단국대학교 병원) ;
- 김미숙 (단국대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2015.02.12
- Accepted : 2015.05.01
- Published : 2015.06.30
The purpose of this study was to compare color, protease, and antioxidant activities of Korean traditional soy sauce fermented for 120 days in Onggis obtained from five regions-Gangjin, Jeju, Ulsan, Yeoju, and Yesan in Korea. The brown color of soy sauce was increased during the fermentation period and was the highest in soy sauce fermented in Yesan. The values of total phenol contents, protease activity, and ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP) and 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging activity activities were also increased during the fermentation period of soy sauce. Soy sauce fermented in Gangjin Onggi showed the highest protease activity, total phenol contents, DPPH radical scavenging activity, and FRAP ability. The partial least squares regression analysis indicated that the regional Onggis affect the quality of soy sauce with in terms of color, protease activity, and antioxidant activity.
Supported by : 한국세라믹기술원
- Choi KS, Choi JD, Chung HC, Kwon KI, Im MH, Kim YH, Kim WS. 2000. Effects of mashing proportion of soybean to salt brine on kanjang (soy sauce) quality. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 174-180.
- Kim DH. 1995. Food chemistry, Maillard reaction. Tamgudang, Seoul, Korea. p 403-416.
- Jeon MS, Sohn KH, Chae SH, Park HK, Jeon HJ. 2002. Color characteristics of Korean traditional soy sauces prepared under different processing conditions. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 32-38. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.1.032
- Chung KM, Cho SW, Kim ZU. 1981. A study on the color change of soy sauce. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 24: 200-205.
- Shin JH, Kang MJ, Yang SM, Lee SJ, Ryu JH, Kim RJ, Sung NJ. 2010. Comparison of physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities of Korean traditional kanjang and garlic added kanjang. J Agric Life Sci 44: 39-48.
- Moon GS, Cheigh HS. 1987. Antioxidant characteristics of soybean sauce in lipid oxidation process. Korean J Food Sci Technol 19: 537-542.
- Ahn JB, Park JA, Jo H, Woo I, Lee SH, Jang KI. 2012. Quality characteristics and antioxidant activity of commercial Doenjang and traditional Doenjang in Korea. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 142-148. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.1.142
- Park KY, Moon SH, Baik HS, Cheigh HS. 1990. Antimutagenic effect of doenjang (Korean fermented soy paste) toward aflatoxin. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 19: 156-162.
- Kwon HJ, Kim HS, Choi YH, Choi JH, Choi HS, Song J, Park SY. 2014. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics on the maturation period of the soy sauce with Gastrodia elata and oak mushroom (Lentinus edodes). Korean J Food Preserv 21: 231-238. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2014.21.2.231
- Shin YJ, Lee CK, Kim HJ, Kim HS, Seo HG, Lee SC. 2014. Preparation and characteristics of low-salt soy sauce with anti-hypertensive activity by addition of miduduk tunic, mulberry, and onion extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 43:854-858. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.6.854
- Lee JJ, Cho CH, Kim JY, Kee DS, Kim HB. 2001. Antioxidant activity of substances extracted by alcohol from Chungkookjang powder. Korean J Microbiol 37: 177-181.
- Chung SK, Lee KS, Cho SH. 2004. Effect of fermentation vessel on quality of anchovy soy sauce. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 233-239.
- Chung SK, Lee KS, Lee DS. 2006. Fermentation of kanjang, Korean soy sauce, in porosity-controlled earthenwares with changing the mixing ratio of raw soils. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 215-221.
- NREL. Standard Procedures for Biomass Compositional Analysis. http://www.nrel.gov/biomass/analytical_procedures.html (accessed Jul 2013).
- Benzie IF, Strain JJ. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 239: 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1996.0292
- Hashiba H. 1981. Oxidative browning of soy sauce (Part 4). Oxidative browning of amadori compounds. J Jpn Soy Sauce Res Inst 7: 116-120.
- Motai H. 1976. Browning of shoyu. Nippon Shokubin Kogyo Gakkaishi 23: 372-384. https://doi.org/10.3136/nskkk1962.23.372
- Park JS, Lee MY, Kim JS, Lee TS. 1994. Compositions of nitrogen compound and amino acid in soybean paste (doenjang) prepared with different microbial sources. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26: 609-615.
- Lee SK, Bae DH, Kwon TJ, Lee SB, Lee HH, Park JH, Heo S, Johnson MG. 2001. Purification and characterization of a fibrinolytic enzyme from Bacillus sp. KDO-13 isolated from soybean paste. J Microbiol Biotechnol 11: 845-852.
- Kim SS, Lee JH, Ahn YS, Kim JH, Kang DK. 2003. A fibrinolytic enzyme from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens D4-7 isolated from Chungkook-Jang; it's characterization and influence of additives on thermostability. Kor J Microbiol Biotech 31: 271-276.
- Ferreres F, Gomes D, Valentao P, Goncalves R, Pio R, Chagas EA, Seabra RM, Andrade PB. 2009. Improved loquat (Eriobotrya japonica Lindl.) cultivars: Variation of phenolics and antioxidative potential. Food Chem 114: 1109-1027.
- Gramza A, Khokhar S, Yoko S, Swiglo AG, Hes M, Korczak J. 2006. Antioxidant activity of tea extracts in lipids and correlation with polyphenol content. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 108: 351-362. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200500330
- Park JW, Lee YJ, Yoon S. 2007. Total flavonoids and phenolics in fermented soy products and their effects on antioxidant activities determined by different assays. Korean J Food Culture 22: 353-358.
- Kim MH, Im SS, Yoo YB, Kim GE, Lee JH. 1994. Antioxidative materials in domestic Meju and Doenjang: 4. Separation of phenolic compounds and their antioxidative activity. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 792-798.
- Won SB, Song HS. 2013. Antioxidant activity and sensory evaluation in soy sauce with fruit, stem, or twig of Hovenia dulcis thunb. Korean J Food & Nutr 26: 258-265. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2013.26.2.258
- Kim HS, Lim JM, Kwon HJ, Yoo JY, Park PS, Choi YH, Choi JH, Park SY. 2013. Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics on the maturation period of the soy sauce containing Astragalus memvranaceus and oak mushroom (Lentinus edodes). Korean J Food Preserv 20: 467-474. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.4.467
- Ahn SI, Bok JH, Son JY. 2007. Antioxidative activities and nitrite-scavenging abilities of some phenolic compounds. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 19-24.
- Cheigh HS, Lee JS, Moon GS, Park KY. 1990. Antioxidative characteristics of fermented soybean sauce on the oxidation of fatty acid mixture. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 332-336.
- Bruckner R, Shoseyov O, Doi RH. 1990. Multiple active forms of a novel serine protease from Bacillus subtilis. Mol Gen Genet 221: 486-490.
- Study on Modern Food Culture History through Records from Foreigners’ Chosun Dynasty Travel in the Enlightenment Period vol.31, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2016.31.5.381
- Quality Characteristics of Regional Traditional and Commercial Soy Sauce (Ganjang) vol.33, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.1.45
- Optimization of Soy Sauce Production Conditions with Black Garlic Extract by Response Surface Methodology vol.32, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.3.307
- Characterization of Lactobacillus brevis SCML 432 isolated from Meju in Sunchang and optimization of its culture conditions by statistical methods vol.25, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2018.25.3.397