- Volume 44 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Changes in Nutritional Composition of Dropwort (Oenanthe javanica) Ethanol Extracts
에탄올 농도에 따른 미나리 추출물의 영양성분 변화
- Won, Beom Young (Research & Development Center, Braintropia Co., Ltd.) ;
- Shin, Ki Young (Research & Development Center, Braintropia Co., Ltd.) ;
- Ha, Hyun Jee (Research & Development Center, Braintropia Co., Ltd.) ;
- Yun, Yeo Sang (Research & Development Center, Braintropia Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Ye Ri (Research & Development Center, Braintropia Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Hyung Gun (Research & Development Center, Braintropia Co., Ltd.)
- 원범영 ((주)브레인트로피아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 신기영 ((주)브레인트로피아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 하현지 ((주)브레인트로피아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 윤여상 ((주)브레인트로피아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 김예리 ((주)브레인트로피아 기업부설연구소) ;
- 이형근 ((주)브레인트로피아 기업부설연구소)
- Received : 2015.02.05
- Accepted : 2015.03.23
- Published : 2015.06.30
This study evaluated the nutritional compositions of dropwort (Oenanthe javanica) extracts depending on the ethanol concentrations. Extractions were performed with hot water, 50% ethanol, 80% ethanol, and 95% ethanol for 4 hours. Changes in yield, as well as total carbohydrate, crude protein, crude fat, total dietary fiber, free sugar, and mineral (Na, Fe, and Ca) contents were investigated. The highest extraction yield of ethanol extracts was 44.67% in 50% ethanol extract of dropwort. Crude protein content reached a maximum of 6.70% while carbohydrate content was highest at 19.6%, in 50% ethanol extract of dropwort. Crude fat content irregularly increased according to ethanol concentration as compared with hot water extract. Total dietary fiber content decreased in ethanol extract, but these changes were not concentration-related. Total sugar contents were highest in hot water and 80% ethanol extracts. Vitamin A content of ethanol extract was higher than that of hot water extract. Mineral (Na, Ca, and Fe) contents were significantly reduced in ethanol extract according to concentration of ethanol, whereas mineral contents were higher in ethanol extract than in hot water extract. Based on this study, ethanol extract of dropwort is more efficient for development of desirable processed foods.
Supported by : 농림축산식품기술기획평가원
- Lee HJ, Do JR, Kwon JH, Kim HK. 2012. Optimization of Corni fructus extracts by response surface methodology. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 41: 390-395. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.3.390
- Rhee HJ, Jung HS, Kim YD. 1994. Componential specification of the water dropwort (Oenanthe javanica DC). J Sci Edu 2: 17-32.
- Kim CB, Lee SH, Kim MY, Yoon JT, Cho RK. 2002. Effects of addition of leek and dropwort powder on quality of noodles. Korean J Food Preserv 9: 36-41.
- Rhee HJ, Jung HS, Kim YD. 1995. Changes on the volatile constituents of the water dropwort (Oenanthe javanica DC) according to seasons. J Sci Edu 4: 175-187.
- Son MJ, Cha CG, Park JH, Kim CS, Lee SP. 2005. Manufacture of dropwort extract using brown sugar, fructose syrup and oligosaccharides. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 34:1485-1489. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2005.34.9.1485
- Park JC, Yu YB, Lee JH. 1993. Isolation of steroids and flavonoids from the herb Oenanthe javanica Dc. Korean J Pharmacogn 24: 244-246.
- Park JC, Hur JM, Park JG. 2002. Biological activities of Umbelliferae family plants and their bioactive flavonoids. Food Industry and Nutrition 7(2): 30-34.
- Park JC, Ha JO, Park KY. 1996. Antimutagenic effect of flavonoids isolated from Oenanthe javanica. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 25: 588-592.
- Kim JG. 2002. Purification of water contaminated with synthetic detergent by a wild strain of Oenanthe javanica. J Fd Hyg Safety 17: 1-7.
- Park SJ, Lee KS, An HL. 2007. Effect of dropwort powder on the quality of castella. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 17:834-839.
- Sung KH, Hong JS, Seo BH, Choi JJ. 2010. A study of the quality characteristics of Sulgidduk added with dropwort Oenanthe javanica D.C. powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 20: 589-595.
- Mun SI, Joh YG, Ryu HS. 1990. Protein and amino acid composition of water cress, Oenanthe stolonifera DC. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 19: 133-142.
- Lee HY, Yoo MJ, Chung HJ. 2001. Chemical properties of watercress (Oenanthe javanica D.C.) depend upon cultivating methods. Korean J Food Culture 16: 235-242.
- Hwang CR, Hwang IG, Kim HY, Kang TS, Kim YB, Joo SS, Lee J, Jeong HS. 2011. Antioxidant component and activity of dropwort (Oenanthe javanica) ethanol extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 316-320. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.2.316
- Lee HJ, Chung MJ, Kim DJ, Choe M. 2009. Effects of Oenanthe javanica, Coicis lachryma-jobi L. var., and Plantaginis asiatica L. water extracts on activities of key enzymes on lipid metabolism. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 1516-1521. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.11.1516
- Kang BK, Jung ST, Kim SJ. 2002. Effects of vegetable extracts by solvent separation on alcohol dehydrogenase activity from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 244-248.
- Shin SL, Lee CH. 2011. Antioxidant activities of ostrich fern by different extraction methods and solvents. J Life Sci 21: 56-61. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.1.56
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 1010-1011.
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 69-90.
- Prosky L, Asp NG, Furda I, DeVries JW, Schweizer TF, Harland BF. 1985. Determination of total dietary fiber in foods and food products-collaborative study. J Assoc Off Anal Chem 68: 677-679.
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F. 1956. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem 28: 350-356. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60111a017
- AOAC. 1995. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 1045.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. 2005. Food Standards Codex. Korean Foods Industry Association, Seoul, Korea.
- Hong KH, Choi WH, Ahn J, Jung CH, Ha TY. 2012. Physicochemical properties of ethanol extracts and dietary fiber from Cassia tora L. seed. Korean J Food & Nutr 25: 612-619. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.3.612
- Lee YM, Shin HD, Lee JJ, Lee MY. 2007. Antioxidative effect of Chaenomelis Fructus ethanol extract. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 177-182.
- Lee HR, Lee JM, Choi NS, Lee JM. 2003. The antioxidative and antimicrobial ability of ethanol extracts from Rosa hybrida. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 373-378.
- Oh SL, Kim SS, Min BY, Chung DH. 1990. Composition of free sugars, free amino acids, non-volatile organic acids and tannins in the extracts of L. chinensis M., A. acutiloba K., S. chinensis B. and A. sessiliflorum S.. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 76-81.
- Jung EB, Jo JH, Cho SM. 2008. Nutritional component and anticancer properties of various extracts from Haesongi mushroom (Hypsizigus marmoreus). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1395-1400. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.11.1395
- Nguyen XD, Luu DC, Nguyen HT, Lã DM, Le VH, Leclercq PA. 1996. Constituents of the leaf and flower oils of Agastache rugose (Fisch. et Mey) O. kuntze from Vietnam. J Essent Oil Res 8: 135-138. https://doi.org/10.1080/10412905.1996.9700580
- Wilson LA, Senechal NP, Widrlechner MP. 1992. Headspace analysis of the volatile oils of Agastache. J Agric Food Chem 40: 1362-1366. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00020a015
- Rhee HJ, Koh MS, Choi OJ. 1995. A study on the volatile constituents of the water dropwort (Oenanthe javanica DC). Korean J Soc Food Sci 11: 386-395.
- Mann JI, Cummings JH. 2009. Possible implications for health of the different definitions of dietary fibre. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 19: 226-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2009.02.002
- Schneeman BO. 1987. Soluble vs insoluble fiber: different physiological responses. Food Technol 41: 81-82.
- Lee KS, Lee SR. 1996. Retarding effect of dietary fibers on the glucose and bile acid movement across a dialysis membrane in vitro. J Nutr Health 29: 738-746.
- Kye SK. 2014. Studies on composition of dietary fiber in vegetables. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 24: 28-41.
- Park JS, Park JH, Lee BC. 1998. Effect of extraction procedures on chemical composition and physical properties of Lycii Cortex. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci 6: 91-95.
- Kim JS, Wang SB, Kang SK, Cho YS, Park SK. 2009. Quality properties of white lotus leaf fermented by mycelial Paecilomyces japonica. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38:594-600. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.5.594
- Hwang SJ, Park SJ, Kim JD. 2013. Component analysis and antioxidant activity of Oenanthe javanica extracts. Korean J Food Sci Technol 45: 227-234. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.2.227
- Kim YO, Park YJ. 1995. Study on the nutrient composition of hydroponic water dropwort. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 24:1016-1019.
- Screening test for Dendropanax morbifera Leveille extracts: in vitro comparison to ox-LDL-induced lipid accumulation, ethanol-induced fatty liver and HMG-CoA reductase inhibition vol.61, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2018.001