- Volume 44 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Use and Assessment of Home-Delivered Meal Service for Children from Low-Income Families
가정배달도시락 수혜 아동의 도시락 서비스 이용 실태와 평가
- Moon, Jeong-A (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Yoo, Chang-Hee (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Eun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Seoul Women's University)
- Received : 2015.01.21
- Accepted : 2015.05.04
- Published : 2015.06.30
The purposes of this study were to investigate consumption of home-delivered meals among children from low-income families and to assess their perception of the home-delivered meal service. A survey was conducted on 392 children who had received home-delivered meals, and 208 questionnaires (response rate: 53.1%) were analyzed using SPSS (ver 18.0). The respondents consisted of elementary school students (36.1%), middle school students (33.7%), and high school students (30.2%). Approximately half of children received home-delivered meals during their semester and vacation periods, and 52.2% of respondents shared the delivered meals with their brothers or sisters. Eighty-six point one percent of respondents consumed delivered meals within 4 hours after the meals were received at home, and approximately a fifth of respondents left the delivered meal boxes on a sink counter or table until eating. Leftover foods were kept in the refrigerator (52.2%) or on the sink counter/table (2.5%). The quality of the home-delivered meal service was assessed as 3.3 points based on a 5-point scale. 'Food safety is good' received the highest score (3.62) and 'Food taste is good' received the lowest score (3.07). The results showed that children receiving the home-delivered meal service should be provided information on proper handling and consumption of the delivered meals at home.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Statistics Korea. KOSIS 100 Index. http://kosis.kr/nsportalStats/nsportalStats_0102Body.jsp?menuId=3&NUM=166 (accessed Jan 2015).
- Lim WS, No DM. 2013. Poverty statistical yearbook 2013. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Seoul, Korea. p 75.
- Ministry for Health and Welfare. 2013. 2013 The child welfare program guide. Ministry for Health and Welfare, Seoul, Korea. p 133.
- Kim MS, Kim HR, Jo AJ, Lee HW, Hong M, Kim HJ. 2007. Status on food service support systems for low-income children. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Seoul, Korea. p 110.
- Yoon B, Yoon J, Shim JE, Kwon S. 2009. Current status of meal box service management for children from low-income families during summer vacation. Korean J Community Nutr 14: 206-215.
- Ministry Health and Welfare. 2012. Ministry Health and Welfare year book 2012. Ministry Health and Welfare, Seoul, Korea. p 284.
- Yoon JH. 2008. Status on 'Happy Meal Box' foodservice for low-income children. Research Report. The Happiness Foundation, Seoul, Korea.
- Cho AJ. 2008. The food delivery services of community child centers for poor children. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 139: 43-54.
- Lee JH, Son EY, Kim Y, Lim Y. 2011. Dietary habits and nutrition knowledge of children using community food service centers according to family type. Korean J Nutr 44: 255-263. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2011.44.3.255
- Yoon B, Kwon S, Yoon J. 2011. Menu evaluation of meal boxes delivered to children from low-income families during summer vacation. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 21:118-124.
- Park JS, Chun JH, Kim SJ, Sohn HS, Lee JT. 2002. A study on the status and characteristics of unprivileged children without lunch. Inje Medical J 23: 721-728.
- Chung GH. 2005. Lunch program for needy children: Current status and policy recommendations. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 101: 5-14.
- Yang IS. 2005. Were the healthy meals served for low-income children during long school vacations? What the summer/winter foodservice program should be?. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 101: 15-23.
- Lee HH. 2006. A study on support policies for undernourished children during vacation. J Adolescent Welfare 8:159-176.
- Cho AJ. 2007. The poorly-fed children in Korea and the reform of the public meal delivery system. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 128: 37-46.
- Kwun HY, Kim JH, Lee HM. 2011. Beneficiaries' satisfaction, menu preference and dietary habits of lunch-box program provided to low-income families. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 320-328. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.3.320
- Kwak TK. 2006. Current sanitation management practices of institutional foodservice operations for children and the improvement strategies. Food Industry & Nutrition 11(2):41-54.
- Moon J, Yoo C, Lee K. 2013. Microbiological assessment of home-delivered meals for children from low-income families during production and delivery. J Korean Diet Assoc 19: 236-252. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2013.19.3.236
- Kye SH, Yoon SI, Park HS, Shim WC, Kwak TK. 1988. A study for the improvement of the sanitary condition and the quality of packaged meals (Dosirak) produced in packaged meal manufacturing establishments in Seoul city and Kyungki-do province. Kor J Food Hygiene 3: 117-129.
- Kwak TK, Kim SH. 1996. Relationships between actual sanitary management practices during production and distribution, and microbiological quality of Dosirak items marketed in CVS. Korean J Dietary Culture 11: 235-242.
- Kwak TK, Kim SH, Park SJ, Cho YS, Choi EH. 1996. The improvement of the sanitary production and distribution practices for packaged meals (Kim Pab) marketed in convenience stores using hazard analysis critical control point (HACCP) system. J Fd Hyg Safety 11: 177-187.
- Kim HY, Ryu SH. 2003. Evaluation of hazardous factors for the application of HACCP on production and transportation flow in home-delivered meals for the elderly. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 19: 195-209.
- Kim HY, Ryu SH. 2003. Changes of chemical and microbiological quality of home-delivered meals for elderly as affected by packaging methods and storage conditions 2. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 19: 241-253.
- Kim HY, Ko SH. 2004. A study on microbiological quality & safety control of Dongtae-jeon (pan-fried dish) and rolled egg in packaged meals (Dosirak) with various cooking processes. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 20: 292-298.
- Park HS, Rye K. 2007. Microbial risk analysis of cooked foods donated to foodbank (I). Korean J Community Nutrition 12: 617-629.
- Park HS, Rye K. 2007. Microbiological hazard analysis of cooked foods donated to foodbank (II). J Korean Diet Assoc 13: 389-406.
- Park JY, Lee KE, Yi NY, Kwak TK. 2010. Clients' handling and consumption of home-delivered meals at home and their perceptions on home-delivered meal services for older adults. Korean J Community Nutrition 15: 379-392.
- Wolfe WS, Frongillo EA. 2001. Building household foodsecurity measurement tools from the ground up. Food Nutr Bull 22: 5-12.
- Na SY, Ko SY, Eom SH, Kim KW. 2010. Intakes and beliefs of vegetables and fruits, self-efficacy, nutrition knowledge, eating behavior of elementary school students in Kyunggi area. Korean J Community Nutrition 15: 329-341.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention & The Korean Pediatric Society. 2007. Standard Growth Chart for Children 2007. Cheongju, Korea. p 31-32.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. 2012 School Health Examination Sampling Survey (Press Release, Feb 28, 2013). Seoul, Korea.
- Kim HR. 2012. Obesity and underweight among children in low income families: Status, and policy options for childhood health equality. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 188:55-66.
- Son SM, Yang CS. 1997. Nutritional status of 5th grade school children residing in low-income area of Pucheon city. Korean J Community Nutrition 2: 267-274.
- Nam KH, Kim YM, Lee GE, Lee YN, Joung H. 2006. Physical development and dietary behaviors of children in low-income families of Seoul area. Korean J Community Nutrition 11: 172-179.
- Sung SJ, Kwon SJ. 2010. Effect of eating with family or alone on the self-rated mental or physical health －The elementary school children in Daejeon area－. Korean J Community Nutrition 15: 206-226.
- Kwon JE, Park HJ, Lim HS, Chyun JH. 2013. The relationships of dietary behavior, food intake, and life satisfaction with family meal frequency in middle school students. Korean J Food Culture 28: 272-281. https://doi.org/10.7318/KJFC/2013.28.3.272
- Jung KA. 2010. A study on the development of cookbooks for children based on the dietary behaviors of elementary school students - focused on the 5th and 6th grades of elementary school -. Korean J Culinary Res 16: 351-366.
- Kim YH. 2010. A study on the needs of dietary education of high school students in Daegu and Gyeongbuk province. J Korean Home Eco Edu Assoc 22: 77-90.
- Fey-Yensan N, English C, Ash S, Wallace C, Museler H. 2001. Food safety risk identified in a population of elderly home-delivered meal participants. J Am Diet Assoc 101:1055-1057. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(01)00259-0
- Almanza BA, Namkung Y, Ismail JA, Nelson DC. 2007. Clients' safe food-handling knowledge and risk behavior in a home-delivered meal program. J Am Diet Assoc 107: 816-821. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.02.043
- Kim M, Kim H. 2006. An analysis of the causal relationship between knowledge and behavior towards food hygiene among child consumers. J Korean Home Eco Assoc 44: 143-151.
- Choi MH, Song SM, Lee YH. 2010. Evaluation of food hygiene knowledge and health practice for elementary school students in Suwon. Korean J Community Living Sci 21: 311-322.
- Lee YJ, Bae JH. 2011. A study on the necessity for hygiene education for children at the Gyeongbuk community children center. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 577-588. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2011.24.4.577
- Yoon SJ, Kim HA. 2012. Elementary school students' perception of food waste and factors affecting plate waste rate of school foodservice in the Gyeongnam area. J Korean Diet Assoc 18: 126-140. https://doi.org/10.14373/JKDA.2012.18.2.126
- Jung KA. 2011. A study on the cooking and food preparation skills of 5th and 6th graders in Gangwon Province. Korean J Culinary Res 17: 204-220.
- Choi YD, Chung DH. 2007. A study on the efficient food service program to the poorly-fed children. Korean Academy of Social Welfare Support 3: 1-24.
- Yang IL, Yi BS, Park MK, Baek SH, Chung YS, Jeong JY, Kim YJ, Kim HY. 2013. Evaluation of the quality attribute and satisfaction on school foodservice in 2010. Korean J Community Nutr 18: 491-504. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2013.18.5.491
- Intakes and Satisfaction of Home-delivered Meal Box for Children from Low-income Families in Chungcheongbuk-do, Korea vol.29, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2016.29.5.716