- Volume 31 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study on Order Appeared in Louis I. Kahn's Atypical Spatial Arrangements - Focusing on Dominican Congregation Motherhouse -
루이스 칸의 비정형적 공간 구성에 나타나는 질서에 대한 연구 - 성 도미니크 수녀원을 중심으로 -
- Jeon, Daeho ;
- Park, Jin-Ho ;
- Yu, Do Yeon
- 전대호 ;
- 박진호 ;
- Received : 2015.03.18
- Accepted : 2015.06.09
- Published : 2015.06.30
This paper deals with Louis I. Kahn's notion of order with regard to atypical spatial arrangements in Dominican Congregation Motherhouse, 1966-68. First, the development of the notion of order is discussed. Then, geometric order and spatial arrangement applied in his projects between 1950 and 1969 are surveyed. Finally, Dominican Congregation Motherhouse is analyzed with regard to its architectural characteristics. Four parts that include geometric unit's 'disposition', 'shape and size', 'angle', 'connection' are categorized for the analysis. Through the analysis, it intends to expose underlying principles of spatial organization embedded in the project.
Louis I. Kahn;Order;Geometry;Dominican Congregation Motherhouse;Room
- Bong, I. (2002). Moving Geometry, Seoul, Spacetime, 124-125.
- Brownlee, B. & Long, D. (1991). Louis I. Kahn, In the Realm of Architecture, New York, Rizzoli.
- Choi, Y. (2007). A Study on the Meaning of Repetition of Forms in the Architecture of Louis I. Kahn, Seoul, Hangyang University.
- Kahn, L. (1955). 'Order is,' Perspecta, 3, 59.
- Kahn, L. (1957). 'Architecture is the thoughtful making process of spaces,' Perspecta, 2-3.
- Kahn, L. (1961). 'Form and Design', Architectural Design 31, 151.
- Kahn, L. (1991). Writings, Lectures, Interviews, New York, Rizzoli, 13.
- Kim, N. (1998). A Study on the tectonic characteristics in the architecture of Louis I. Kahn, Seoul, Seoul National University.
- Ronner, H. & Jhaveri, S. (1994). Louis I. Kahn complete work 1935-1974, Basel, Birkhauser, 91, 146.
- Saito, Y. (2013). Louis I. Kahn House, Tokyo, TOTO, 90-97, 238-239, 236-237.
- Thompson, D. (1992). On Growth and Form, London, Cambridge University Press.
- Tyng, A. (1984). Beginnings: Louis I. Kahn's Philosophy of Architecture, New York, Wiley-Interscience Publication, 129-135.
- Tyng, G. (1983). Resonance Between Eye and Archetype, Cambridge, MIT Press.
- Tyng, G. (1997). Louis Kahn to Anne Tyng, The Rome letters 1953-1954, New York, Rizzoli.
- Tzonis, A. (1987). The Louis I. Kahn Archive Buildings and Projects, New York, Garland.
- Wurman, S. & Feldman, E. (1962). Eds. The Notebooks and drawings of Louis I. Kahn, Philadelphia, The Falcon Press.