- Volume 23 Issue 3
The aim of this study was to investigate the change in women's somatotype with aging. The subjects were 1,123 women aged 40~69. Their anthropometric data were from the 6th Size Korea. The data were analyzed by factor analysis and cluster analysis. Seven factors were extracted: body mass, body length, back shoulder, arm length factor, front interscye factor, body rise factor, and shoulder angle. The upper body types of middle-aged and elderly women were classified into five types: skinny, short stout body type with forward posture, composite, tall & full body type, and short & skinny. The skinny and composite body type appeared more often than the short stout body type in the early 40s of Korean women. Starting in the mid-50s, composite body type was less often found. However, the number of women with short stout body type increased. In the 60s, the number of women with short stout and tall & full body types decreased. These results reveal that the body types of middle-aged and elderly women changed with some pattern with aging. And women in their early 40s, mid-50s, and 60s women had different body shapes and postures.
- Kim, I. S., & Seong, H. K. (2002). A study on classification of elderly women's body type. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(1), 27-38.
- Ko, S. H. (2011). The influence of the lumbar spine adjustment using the lumbar roll support on head and neck posture in older adults. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, E. J. (2006). A theoretical analysis on somatotyping of elderly women. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion and Beauty, 4(1), 35-41.
- Lee, S. O., Jang, K. O., & Ahn, S. H. (2007). Effect of aquatic exercise program on pain, fatigue, body composition, physical fitness and psychological variables in women with arthritis. Korean Journal Women Health Nurs, 13(3), 165-173.
- Lee, S. Y., & Kim, H. S. (2004). A study on torso shape classification of women in 60s. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(11), 1426-1437.
- Lee, S., & Chun, J. (2012). Women's perceptions of physical deformation from aging and demand. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture 20(5), 549-559. https://doi.org/10.7741/rjcc.2012.20.4.549
- Lee, Y. K., & Lee, J. Y. (2009). Analysis of deformed lateral body of elderly women(2): Focused on classification of deformed lateral body type. The Korean Society of Fashion Design, 9(2), 59-74.
- Shier, D., Butler, J., & Lewis, R. (2004). Hole's human anatomy & physiology (Lee, W. T., Lee, J. E., Park, S. H., Lee. K, L., Park, K. A., & Hong, S. G.). Seoul: Jung Dam Publishing Co. (Original work published 2002)
- 1. Classification of foot shapes of young and middle-aged/elderly men vol.23, pp.5, 2015, doi:10.7741/rjcc.2015.23.3.512