- Volume 24 Issue 3
In this paper, in-situ heat cooling with temperature monitoring is reported to solve thermal issues in electric vehicle (EV) batteries. The device consists of a thick graphene cooler on top of the substrate and a platinum-based resistive temperature sensor with an embedded heater above the graphene. The graphene layer is synthesized by using chemical vapor deposition directly on the Ni layer above the Si substrate. The proposed thick graphene heat cooler does not use transfer technology, which involves many process steps and does not provide a high yield. This method also reduces the mechanical damage of the graphene and uses only one photomask. Using this structure, temperature detection and cooling are conducted simultaneously using one device. The temperature coefficient of resistance (TCR) of a
Thick Graphene;Heat Cooler;Temperature Sensor;TCR;Single Mask Process
- Bandhauer, T. M., Garimella, S., and Fuller, T. F. "A critical review of thermal issues in lithium-ion batteries", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 158, No. 3, pp. R1-R25, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.3515880
- Chacko, S., and Chung, Y. M. "Thermal modelling of Liion polymer battery for electric vehicle drive cycles", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 213, pp. 296-303, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.04.015
- Kim, U. S., Shin, C. B., and Kim, C. S. "Modeling for the scale-up of a lithium-ion polymer battery", Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 189, No. 1, pp. 841-846, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.10.019
- Lorentz, V. R. H., Wenger, M. M., Grosch, J. L., Giegerich, M., Jank, M. P. M., Marz, M., and Frey, L. "Novel cost-efficient contactless distributed monitoring concept for smart battery cells", Industrial Electronics (ISIE), 2012 IEEE International Symposium on. IEEE, pp. 1342-1347, 2012.
- http://arpa-e.energy.gov/?q=slick-sheet-project/thin-film-temperature-sensors-batteries (retrieved on Apr. 3, 2012)
- https://www.google.com/patents/US20130183566?dq=Thermal+Management+Structures+for+Battery+Packs&hl=ko&sa=X&ei=d-FCVeKWJeXOmwW84IDwDA&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA(retrieved on Apr. 3, 2012)
- Fukushima, T., T. Tanaka, and M. Koyanagi. "Thermal Issues of 3D ICs", Proceedings: Design for Reliability Workshop-Stress Management for 3D ICs Using Through Silicon Vias, SEMATECH. 2007.
- Pop, E., Mann, D., Wang, Q., Goodson, K., and Dai, H. "Thermal conductance of an individual single-wall carbon nanotube above room temperature", Nano letters, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 96-100, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl052145f
- Balandin, A. A., Ghosh, S., Bao, W., Calizo, I., Teweldebrhan, D., Miao, F., and Lau, C. N. "Superior thermal conductivity of single-layer graphene", Nano letters, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 902-907, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1021/nl0731872
- Gao, Z., Zhang, Y., Fu, Y., Yuen, M. M., and Liu, J. "Thermal chemical vapor deposition grown graphene heat spreader for thermal management of hot spots", Carbon, 61, pp. 342-348, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2013.05.014
- W.K. Choi, "Analysis of Heat Transfer Characteristics of single chip using thick graphene", Seoul National University, Master degree thesis, 2014.