- Volume 18 Issue 3
KEC2005 Program Outcomes: Sound Interpretation and Understanding
공학인증 학습성과의 올바른 해석과 이해
- Park, DongGook (College of Engineering, Sunchon National University) ;
- Sim, Chun-Bo (College of Engineering, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Chul-Shin (College of Humanities & Arts, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2015.03.19
- Accepted : 2015.05.21
- Published : 2015.05.29
Engineering education accreditation, such as by ABEEK in Korea or ABET in USA, centers around outcomes-based education (OBE). Outcomes are the abilities or competencies which students are expected to achieve by the time of graduation. Engineering programs must design the curriculum, educate their students, and assess the performance of them in accordance with the program outcomes. Consequently, sound understanding of the program outcomes is crucial to the successful implementation of OBE. Most of the 12 outcomes of ABEEK KEC2005 criteria came from ABET criteria written in English. It means that, apart from sound understanding of the outcomes, we need to care about the correct translation of the ABET outcomes from English to Korean. The translation of them as in KEC2005, however, leaves something to be desired. This paper tries to present the correct translation of some program outcomes as well as sound understanding of a few outcomes difficult to define.
- 朱熹 撰(1995) 四書章句集注. 中華書局.
- 한국공학교육인증원 (2005). 컴퓨터.정보기술인증기준 2005 설명서 (KCC2005)
- 한국공학교육인증원 (2012a). 공학인증기준 2005 (KEC2005) (2013년 인증평가부터 적용).
- 한국공학교육인증원 (2012b). 컴퓨터.정보기술인증기준 2010 (KCC2010) (2013년 인증평가부터 적용).
- 諸橋轍次 (1984). 大漠和辭典(昭和 59년 수정판). 大修館書店.
- ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology). (2012). Criteria for accrediting engineering programs: Effective for reviews during the 2013-2014 accreditation cycle.
- ASCE CCA (2007). Commentary on the ABET Engineering Criteria for Civil and Similarly Named Programs in the Context of the Civil Engineering Body of Knowledge. American Society of Civil Engineers Committee on Curricula and Accreditation.
- Ben-Hur, M. (2006). Concept-rich mathematics instruction: Building a strong foundation for reasoning and problem solving. ASCD.
- Besterfield-Sacre, M., et al. (2000). Defining the outcomes: A framework for EC-2000. IEEE Transactions on Education, 43(2): 100-110. https://doi.org/10.1109/13.848060
- Collins, J. W., & O'Brien, N. P. (Eds.), (2011). The Greenwood dictionary of education. ABC-CLIO.
- Flexner, S.B. (Ed.) (1998). Random House Webster's unabridged dictionary. New York: Random House.
- Hager, P.J. (2012). Self-Reflecting Methods of Learning Research. In Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning (pp. 2049-2052). Springer US.
- Hussey, T., & Smith, P. (2008). Learning outcomes: a conceptual analysis. Teaching in higher education, 13(1): 107-115. https://doi.org/10.1080/13562510701794159
- James, M., et al. (2006). Learning how to learn: tools for schools. London: Routledge.
- Lovinger, P. W. (2002). The Penguin Dictionary of American English Usage and Style. New York: Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
- Maher, A. (2004). Learning outcomes in higher education: Implications for curriculum design and student learning. Journal of Hospitality. Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 3(2): 46-54. https://doi.org/10.3794/johlste.32.78
- Male, S. A, Bush, M. B., & Chapman, E. S. (2009). Identification of competencies required by engineers graduating in Australia. Paper presented at the Australasian Association.
- Miles, C. L., & Wilson, C. (2004). Learning outcomes for the twenty-first century: Cultivating student success for college and the knowledge economy. New directions for community colleges, 2004(126): 87-100. https://doi.org/10.1002/cc.157
- Niemi, J.A. (1972). The meaning of lifelong learning. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Northwest Adult Education Association, Missoula, Montana. East Lansing, MI: National Center for Research on Teacher Learning. (ERIC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 068 833)
- Partridge, E. (1971). Usage and abusage: A guide to good English. Harmondsworth, UK: Penguin.
- Petersen, O., Williams, S., & Durant, E. (2007). Understanding ABET Objectives and Outcomes. In Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Ressler, S. (2010). Assessing the Standards for Assessment: Is it Time to Update Criterion 3? In American Society for Engineering Education. American Society for Engineering Education.
- Shuman, L. J., Besterfield-Sacre, M., & McGourty, J. (2005). The ABET "professional skills"---Can they be taught? Can they be assessed?. Journal of Engineering Education, 94(1): 41-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2005.tb00828.x
- Smerdon, E. T. (1996). Lifelong learning for engineers: Riding the whirlwind. American Ceramic Society bulletin, 75: 51-52.
- Spady, W.G., (2003). Outcome Based Education. In J.W. Guthrie (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Education (2nd ed., pp.1827-1831). MacMillan Reference Books.
- Stanford University (2006). Program self-study report for the Civil Engineering Program. Submitted to the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- Trevelyan, J. (2014). The making of an expert engineer. CRC Press.
- WVU Tech (2015). Electrical Engineering Program objectives and outcomes. West Virginia University. Retrieved from http://engineering.wvutech.edu/degree-programs/electrical-engineering-program/electrical-engineering-objectivesoutcomes