- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Congestion Estimation based TCP Congestion Control Scheme using the Weighted Average Value of the RTT
RTT의 가중평균값을 이용한 혼잡 예측 기반 TCP 혼잡 제어 기법
- Lim, Min-Ki (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, College of Information Technology, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Dong-Hoi (Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, College of Information Technology, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2015.04.01
- Accepted : 2015.05.30
- Published : 2015.06.30
TCP, which performs congestion control in congestion condition, is able to help a reliable transmission. However, packet loss can be increased because congestion window is increased by the time the packet is dropped in the process of congestion avoidance. In this paper, to solve the above problem, we propose a new congestion estimation based TCP congestion control scheme using the weighted average value of the RTT. After measuring a SRTT, which means the weighted average value of RTTs, at this point of time when a buffer overflow is occurred by an overloaded packet, the proposed scheme estimates the time, when the same SRTT is made in packet transmission, as a congestion time and then decreases the congestion window. The simulation results show that the proposed schem has a good performance in terms of packet loss rate and throughput when the packet loss due to buffer overflow is larger than that due to wireless channel.
- G. Lim, C. Youn, S. Nam and I. Lee, "TCP Congestion Control Based on Timeout Patterns," Trans. KIEE, Vol. 53D, No. 12, Dec 2004.
- J. C. Hoe, "Improving the start-up behavior of a congestion control scheme for TCP," ACM SIGCOMM'96, pp. 270-280, August 1996.
- Z. Wang and J. Crowcroft, "A new congestion control scheme: slow start and search (Tri-S)," ACM Computer Communication Review, vol. 21, issue 1, pp. 32-43, January 1991. https://doi.org/10.1145/116030.116033
- E. Lee, K. Chung, "Congestion Control Scheme for Efficient Multimedia Transmission in Broadband Wireless Networks", J. Korea Inst. Inf. Commun. Eng., vol. 18, no. 7 : 1599-1609 Jul 2014. https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2014.18.7.1599
- C. Yoo, D. Kim, "The Study on New Wireless TCPWestwood Algorithm having Available Bandwidth Estimation within Allowable Range", Journal of Digital Contents Society, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 147-154, Apr 2014. https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2014.15.2.147
- H. Kang, L. Anh, C. Hong, "Multi-path TCP Congestion Control for Streaming Services in Wireless Network", Journal of KIISE, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 118-123, Apr 2012.
- Y. Zang, et al, "NS-2 Application of Network Simulator", Hongrung Publishing Company, Jul 2008.
- NS-2 Manual. [Online]. Available: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/, Nov 2011.
- S. Floyd, T. Henderson, and A. Gurtov, "The New Reno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm," IETF RFC 6582, April 2004.
- C. Yeon, "TCP Congestion Control Based on RTT and Timeout", MS degree of hanyang university, Feb 2004.
- Seong Cheol. Kim, Jain. Raj, "Relation between Buffers and RTT", Journal of KICS, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 894-897, 1996.
- A. Behrouz, "Data Communications and Networking, 5th Edition", McGraw-Hill Education, Oct 2013.
- K. Kim, N. Kim, "An Enhanced Wireless TCP protocol based on Explicit Error Notification", Journal of KICS, vol. 26, no. 12B, pp. 1656-1664, 2001.
- M. Park, H. Choo, "Performance Analysis of Wireless TCP Algorithm in Networks with Long Delay", Korean Society for Internet Information, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 41-44, Jun 2007.