- Volume 13 Issue 2
A push-push voltage controlled dielectric resonator oscillator (VCDRO) with a modified frequency tuning structure using broadside couplers is investigated. The push-push VCDRO designed at 16 GHz is manufactured using a low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) technology to reduce the circuit size. The frequency tuning structure using a broadside coupler is embedded in a layer of the A6 substrate by using the LTCC process. Experimental results show that the fundamental and third harmonics are suppressed above 15 dBc and 30 dBc, respectively, and the phase noise of push-push VCDRO is -97.5 dBc/Hz at an offset frequency of 100 kHz from the carrier. The proposed frequency tuning structure has a tuning range of 4.46 MHz over a control voltage of 1-11 V. This push-push VCDRO has a miniature size of 15 mm×15 mm. The proposed design and fabrication techniques for a push-push oscillator seem to be applicable in many space and commercial VCDRO products.
Broadside coupler;Low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC);Push-push;Voltage controlled dielectric resonator oscillator (VCDRO)
- I. Wolff, “Design and technology of microwave and millimeterwave LTCC circuits and systems,” in Proceedings of International Symposium on Signals, Systems and Electronics (ISSSE’07), Montreal, Canada, pp. 505-512, 2007.
- B. G. Choi, M. G. Stubbs, and C. S. Park, “A Ka-band narrow bandpass filter using LTCC technology,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 388-389, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2003.817139
- K. Kim, M. Ahn, J. Kang, and I. Yun, “Circuit modeling of interdigitated capacitors fabricated by high-K LTCC sheets,” ETRI Journal, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 182-190, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.06.0105.0141
- J. Hesselbarth, P. Nuechter, and U. Goebel, "Surface-mount high-Q resonators for millimeter-wave LTCC oscillators," in Proceedings of the 33rd European Microwave Conference, Munich, Germany, pp. 1283-1286, 2003.
- T. A. Bos, F. Bayer, and U. Lott, "A low cost 16.2 GHz phase locked oscillator for wireless LAN," in Proceedings of IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, Denver, CO, pp. 1395-1398, 1997.
- T. Tanaka and M. Aikawa, "A K-band push-push oscillator using dielectric resonator," in Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics and the Canadian Radio Science Meeting (ANTEM/URSI), Toronto, Canada, pp. 1-4, 2009.
- L. Dussopt and G. M. Rebeiz, “A low phase noise silicon 18-GHz push-push VCO,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 4-6, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2002.807699
- A. M. Pavio and M. A. Smith, “A 20-40-GHz push-push dielectric resonator oscillator,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 1346-1349, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133224