- Volume 13 Issue 2
A 94-GHz phased array antenna using a log-periodic antenna has been developed on a GaAs substrate. The developed phased array antenna comprises four log-periodic antennas, a phase shifter, and a Wilkinson power divider. This antenna was fabricated using the standard microwave monolithic integrated circuit (MMIC) process including an air bridge for unipolar circuit implementations on the same GaAs substrate. The total chip size of the fabricated phased array antenna is 4.8 mm × 4.5 mm. Measurement results showed that the fabricated phased array antenna had a very wide band performance from 80 GHz to 110 GHz with return loss characteristics better than -10 dB. In the center frequency of 94 GHz, the fabricated phased array antenna showed a return loss of -16 dB and a gain of 4.43 dBi. The developed antenna is expected to be widely applied in many applications at W-band frequency.
- L. Fan and K. Chang, “Uniplanar power dividers using coupled CPW and asymmetrical CPS for MICs and MMICs,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2411-2420, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.554570
- J. D. Park, and W. J. Kim, “An efficient method of eliminating the range ambiguity for a low-cost FMCW radar using VCO tuning characteristics,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 10, pp. 3623-3629, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2006.882869
- T. Luthi and C. Matzler, “Stereoscopic passive millimeter-wave imaging and ranging,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 2594-2599, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2005.852757
- D. M. Kang, J. Y. Hong, J. Y. Shim, J. H. Lee, H. S. Yoon, and K. H. Lee, “A 77 GHz mHEMT MMIC chip set for automotive radar systems,” ETRI Journal, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 133-139, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.05.0104.0141
- I. H. Lee, S. D. Lee, J. K. Rhee, and H. S. Park, “Studies on airbridge processes for mm-wave MMIC’s applications,” Journal of the Korean Physical Society, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. S1043-S1046, 1999.