- Volume 13 Issue 2
In mobile communication, mobile services [MSs] (e.g., phone calls, short/multimedia messages, and Internet data) incur a cost to both mobile users (MUs) and mobile service providers (MSPs). The proposed model MobPrice consists of dynamic data pricing schemes for mobile communication in order to achieve optimal usage of MSs at minimal prices. MobPrice inspires MUs to subscribe MSs with flexibility of data sharing and intra-peer exchanges, thereby reducing overall cost. The main contributions of MobPrice are three-fold. First, it proposes a novel k-level data-pricing (kDP) scheme for MSs. Second, it extends the kDP scheme with the notion of service-sharing-based pricing schemes to a collaborative peer-to-peer data-pricing (pDP) scheme and a cluster-based data-pricing (cDP) scheme to incorporate the notion of 'cluster' (made up of two or more MUs) in mobile communication. Third, our performance study shows that the proposed schemes are indeed effective in maximizing MS subscriptions and minimizing MS's price/user.
Dynamic data pricing;Mobile communication;Mobile service;Peer-to-peer structure
- C. Hui, M. Jun, and S. Huaying, “Priority pricing based network resources allocation scheme for mobile data communication,” in Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), Wuhan, China, pp. 1-4, 2011.
- L. Zhang, W. Wu, and D. Wang, “Time dependent pricing in wireless data networks: flat-rate vs. usage-based schemes,” in Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM, Toronto, Canada, pp. 700-708, 2014.
- S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, S. Ha, and M. Chiang, “Incentivizing timeshifting of data: a survey of time-dependent pricing for internet access,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 50, no. 11, pp. 91-99, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2012.6353688
- S. Ha, S. Sen, C. Joe-Wong, Y. Im, and M. Chiang, “Tube: timedependent pricing for mobile data,” ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, vol. 42, no. 4, pp. 247-258, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1145/2377677.2377723
- Q. Ma, Y. F. Liu, and J. Huang, “Time and location aware mobile data pricing,” in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Sydney, pp. 3235-3240, 2014.
- J. Kuri and S. Roy, “Pricing network resources: a new perspective,” in Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCom 2007), Shanghai, China, pp. 1937-1940, 2007.
- C. Gizelis and D. D. Vergados, “A survey of pricing schemes in wireless networks,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 126-145, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2011.060710.00028
- M. Falkner, M. Devetsikiotis, and L. Lambadaris, “An overview of pricing concepts for broadband IP networks,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 2-13, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2000.5340798
- M. G. Kallitsis, G. Michailidis, and M. Devetsikiotis, “Pricing and measurement-based optimal resource allocation in next generation network services,” in Proceedings of 2007 IEEE Globecom Workshops, Washington, DC, pp. 1-6, 2007.
- S. Sen, “Smart data pricing for the Internet: agenda & research directions,” in Proceedings of 2013 51st Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing (Allerton), Monticello, IL, pp. 1182-1187, 2013.
- A. Odlyzko, “Internet pricing and the history of communications,” Computer Networks, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 493-517, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1389-1286(01)00188-8
- R. Cocchi, S. Shenker, D. Estrin, and L. Zhang, “Pricing in computer networks: motivation, formulation, and example,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 614-627, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/90.266050
- Y. Jin and Z. Pang, “Smart data pricing: to share or not to share?,” in Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Communications Workshops (INFOCOM WKSHPS), Toronto, Canada, pp. 583-588, 2014.