- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on Single-dose Intramuscular Toxicity of Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture in Sprague-Dawley (SD) Rats and Beagle Dogs
신바로 약침의 SD 랫드와 비글견에 대한 단회 근육투여 독성시험
- Received : 2015.06.18
- Accepted : 2015.07.08
- Published : 2015.07.31
Objectives To evaluate Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture safety through analysis of potential single-dose intramuscular toxicity of Sinbaro Pharmacopucture in SD rats and Beagle dogs. Methods Single-dose intramuscular toxicity of Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture was assessed in accordance with Korea Food and Drug Administration Guidelines for toxicity testing of Medicinal Products. The SD rats were treated intramuscularly with Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture at doses of 0, 4.6, 9.2, and 18.5 mg/kg, respectively. The Beagle dogs were treated intramuscularly with Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture at doses of 2.3, and 4.6 mg/kg, respectively, and after 3 days, the procedure was repeated a second time at doses of 0.6, and 1.2 mg/kg, respectively, for toxicity testing. Mortality, change in body weight, and necropsy findings were examined for the study period. Results There were no mortalities, general symptoms, or body weight changes in the SD rats. While pyelectasis of the left kidney was observed in a male rat in the 4.6 mg/kg administration group, natural occurrence is common, and does not appear to be related with the test substance. No mortalities were observed in the Beagle dogs. In assessment of general symptoms, a female dog in the 9.2 mg/kg group displayed body weight decrease due to leftover food, but the change in body weight was within the normal range seen at 6~7 months, and the necropsy findings were not significant. The toxicity of the test substance appears to be minimal. Conclusions The results suggest that the lethal dose 50 (
Single-dose intramuscular toxicity;Shinbaro Pharmacopuncture;SD rat;Beagle dog
- Yoo HJ, Park MY, Choi HY, Kim JD. Mouse Single Oral Dose Toxicity Test of Lonicerae Flos Aqueous Extracts. Koream J Orient Int Med. 2010;31(3):539-553.
- Kim SH, Lee HS. Acute Oral Toxicity Study of Ethanol Extract of Curcuma longaL. in Mice. Journal of Life Science. 2014;24(10):1132-1136 https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.10.1132
- Kim YH, Seo BI. A A philological study on poisoning and side effects of Prunellae Spica. The Joural of East-West Medicine. 2012;37(4):7-12.
- Kim SR, Lee JW, Lim SY, Jung YS, Choi HY, Kim JD. Rat Single Oral Dose Toxicity Test of Armeniacae Semen(Including Endocarp). Korean J Orient Int Med. 2012;33(2):145-159.
- Lee JW, Jung YS, Jung TY, Kim JD, Choi HY. Mouse Single Oral Dose Toxicity Test of Scutellariae Radix Aqueous Extracts. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2013;34(1):46-58. https://doi.org/10.13048/jkm.13026
- Lee JH, Eum HA, Chung TH, Lee YH, Um YR, Yim NH, Kim DS, Lee JH, Ma JY. Single Dose Oral Toxicity Study of the Gwibi-tang Extract in ICR Mice. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2010;23(4):47-56.
- Kim DC. Oral Dose Toxicity Test of Sobokchuko-tang, a Polyherbal Formula in ICR Mice. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2014;27(1):28-40.
- Lee JS, Hwang YH, Lee JH, Oh SY, Kim TS, Ma JY. Acute Toxicity Study on Socheongryong-Tang and Fermented Socheongryong-Tang extracts in Mice. Kor J Herbology. 2011;26(4):101-107.
- Kim SC, Byun JS, Jee SY, Park JH, Byun SH, Lee HS. Single dose toxicity study of Injinhotang in rat. The Journal of Oriental Medical Surgery, Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology. 2001;14(2):118-124.
- Hwang HY, Jang WS, Baek KM. Mouse Single Oral Dose Toxicity Test of Chongmyung-tang Aqueous Extracts. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2014;35(1):37-49.
- Choi YT etc. The Acupuncture and Moxibustion. Jipmoondang. 1993;1264-1265,1457-1467.
- Kim SB. Pharmacopuncture Therapy of Ischemic stroke. Korean J Pharmacopuncture institute. 1997;1(1):126-137 https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.19184.108.40.206
- Kim SH, Lee CH, Lee JS, Cho KH, Kim SO, Cho SH, Cho HK, Lee SM. Anti-Inflammatory Activities of a Herbal Preparation GCSB-5 on Acute and Chronic Inflammation. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2005;36(4):311-317.
- Chung HJ, Lee HS, Shin JS, LeeSH, Park BM, Youn YS, Lee SK. Modulation of acute and chronic inflammatory processes by a traditional medicine preparation GCSB-5 both in vitro and in vivo animal models. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2010;130(3):450-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.05.020
Lee JY, Ko SH, Lee YJ, Lee SY, Park HJ, Shin TY, Jeon H. Anti-inflammatory Effect of MeOH Extract of Cibotium barometz in IFN-
$\gamma$and LPS-stimulated Mouse Peritoneal Macrophage. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2010;41(2):105-114.
- Kim ST, Kim JD, Kim YK. Effect of MeOH Extract of Cibotium barometz for Repair and Regeneration of Nogo A-injuried Neuroblastoma Cells. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2004;35(2):105-109
- Lee DS, Byun SY. Effects of the Dietary Mixture of Eucommia ulmoides Oliver on Osteoporosis. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng. 2011;16(6):614-619.
- Yun DY, Park SH, Lee JS. Effects of Eucommiae Cortex on Myofiber Type Transition and MyoD Expression in Hind Limb Muscle Atrophy of Rats. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2008;18(1):47-63.
- Kim GM, Lee JC, Oh H, Kim CM, Yun YG. A Study on Application of Radix Saposhnikoviae Main Blended Prescription From Dongeubogam. The Kor J Orient Med Prescription. 2006;14(1):11-29.
- Shin MK. Jung-Hwa clinical Herbalogy. Seoul : Younglimsa. 2010.
- Yoon TJ, Jo SY. Effect of Acanthopanax senticosus Extracts on Alcohol Degradation and Anti-Inflammatory Activity in Mice. Korean J Food & Nutr. 2010;23(4):542-548.
- Oriental medical university herbal medicine the National History Compilation Committee. Clinical Traditional Herbalogy. Seoul : Younglimsa. 2006.
- Kim CS, Park YK. The therapeutic effect of Achyranthis Radix on the collagen-induced arthritis in mice. Kor J Herbology. 2010;25(4):129-135.
- Lee MS, Song YK, Lim HH. Effects of Aqueous Extract of Achyranthes Japonica on Functional Recovery in Sciatic Nerve after Crushed Sciatic Nerve Injury in Rats. J Oriental ReHab. 2011;21(2):143-158.
- Herbal materials Compilation Committee. pharmacognosia. Seoul:Dongmyungsa. 2000:372-373.
- Lim TY. Comparative study on the Pharmacological Effects id Kinds of "Dokhwal". J Korean Med. 1987;8(2):97-98.
- Kim JH, Kim SH, Song HJ. Experomemtal study on Analgesic, Antinflammatory, Anticonvulasive and Toxic Action Scolopendra. J Korean Oriental Med. 1993;14(2):381-393.
- Lee SR, Kim SC, Koo ST, Kim SN, Hwang WJ, Lee GM, Cho NG, Lim KS. Effects of Scolopendrid Water-Alcolhol Extract Injection Applied to the Acupuncture Point on the Neuropathic Pain in Rats. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2004;21(2):47-67.
- Lee CH, Kim SH, Lee JS, Cho KH, Kim JS, Cho SH, Lee SM. Evaluation of the Antinocicieptive Properties of GCSB-5, a Herbal Formulation. Kor J Pharmacogn. 2005;36(4):299-304.
- Park SW, LeeCH, Kim SH, Cho YJ, Heo JH, Park JG, Cheon HJ, Lee SY, Kim JW, Lee SM. General Pharmacological Study of GCSB-5, a Herbal Formulation. The Journal of Applied Pharmacology. 2006;14(4):194-201.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Based on non-clinical management. Notice of Ministry of Food and Drug Safety No. 2012-121.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Toxicity testing standards, such as drugs. Notice of Ministry of Food and Drug Safety No. 2012-86.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Guidelines of Natural Medicines Non-clinical data. 2011.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Study for the rational management system of functional foods. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. 2002.
- Lee JE, Kim HJ, Choi EK, Chai HY, Yun YW, Kim DJ, Nam SY, Lee BJ, Ahn BW, Kang HG, Kim YB. Four-Week Repeated-Dose Toxicity Study on Pinellia Extract. The Korean Journa lof Laboratory Animal Science. 2003;19(3):127-141.
- Jung JK, Park YK. Dose range finding study of KOB03, a new polyherbal medicine for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, by oral administration for four weeks in Sprague-Dawley rats. Kor J Herbology. 2012;27(3):101-106. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2012.27.3.106
- Kim YJ, Lim CS, Kwon GR. Study of single dose test of Sweet Bee Venom in rats. Journal of Pharmacopucture. 2009;12(4):5-31.
- Byun BI, Seo BI. Safety study on Acute Toxicity of Scutellariae Baicalensis Radix Herbal acupuncture Solution(SBRHA). Journal of The Korea Association of Herbology. 2003;18(4):47-51.
- Lee JH, Lee IH, Lee JW, Kim EJ, Kim MJ. Single-dose Intramuscular Toxicity Studies of Shinbaro3 Pharmacopunture in Sprague-Dawley Rats and Beagle Dogs. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(2):73-81. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.2.073
- Usage report of pharmacopuncture in musculoskeletal patients visiting Korean medicine hospitals and clinics in Korea vol.16, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-016-1288-5
- The Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Shinbaro3 Is Mediated by Downregulation of the TLR4 Signalling Pathway in LPS-Stimulated RAW 264.7 Macrophages vol.2018, pp.1466-1861, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4514329
Supported by : 자생의료재단